Maynilad, Manila Water rate to spike in 2020

Maris Federez   •   December 6, 2019   •   2532

MANILA, Philippines – Manila Water and Maynilad Water Services will affect a rate hike in January 2020.

This is at the height of President Rodrigo Roa Duterte’s directive to review the contract between the government and the two water concessionaires. 

Maynilad and Manila Water will implement around P3.00 per cubic meter price hike.

Add to this is the increase in the Foreign Currency Differential Adjustment (FCDA) and other foreign currencies that the two water concessionaires use in their loan payment.

In 2018, the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) has approved Maynilad and Manila Water’s rate increase petition.

For Maynilad, the approved rate hike is P5.73 which will be applied on a staggered basis for five years or until 2022.

Manila Water, on the other hand, had been allowed a rate increase of P6.22 to P6.50.

Meanwhile, with the expected rate hike, water service interruption will still be experienced by Maynilad and Manila Water consumers as the National Water Resources Board (NWRB) has yet to increase Metro Manila’s water allocation despite the rising water level in Angat Dam.

As of Friday morning, the water level in Angat Dam was at 195.03 meters.

This, however, is still far from the dam’s normal operating level of 210 to 212 meters.

Authorities advise the public to continue to conserve water to maintain sufficient water supply in Angat Dam until the next dry season. (from the report of Harlene Delgado) /mbmf

Manila Water announces extension of water interruption in several barangays in Metro Manila

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 12, 2021

 

MANILA, Philippines—The Manila Water on Monday (April 12) announced that the water service interruption in several barangays in Metro Manila will be extended.

The extension of service interruption is due to difficult conditions on the site of Manila Water’s damaged mainline at EDSA/Boni Ave. northbound.

Affected barangays will have no water service from 5:00 in the afternoon of Monday until 4:00 a.m. on Tuesday (April 13) as the company completes its permanent repair of the breakage.

The 600-mm mainline was damaged on Sunday evening (April 11), which resulted in a water service interruption to more than 30 barangays in Mandaluyong, Pasig, San Juan, and Quezon City.

The breakage, the Manila Water reported, was caused by AWIN Technology, a third-party contractor doing CCTV network installation.

Affected barangays:

MANDALUYONG CITY (16):
Highway Hills
Barangka Ilaya
Barangka Itaas
Malamig
Addition Hills
Greenhills
Wack-Wack East Greenhills
Mauway
Barangka Drive
Barangka Ibaba
Pleasant Hills
Plainview
Hulo
Hagdang Bato Itaas
Hagdang Bato Libis
San Jose

SAN JUAN CITY (12):
Addition Hills
Corazon de Jesus
West Crame
Pasadena
Onse
Halo-Halo (St. Joseph)
Maytunas
Santa Lucia
St. Joseph
Isabelita
Little Baguio
Valencia

QUEZON CITY (6):
Kaunlaran
San Martin de Porres
Bagong Lipunan ng Crame
Pinagkaisahan
Horseshoe
Immaculate Concepcion

PASIG CITY (1):
Oranbo

“Customers in these areas are encouraged to store just enough water for their needs within the water interruption schedule. This will also help avoid crowding around water tankers,” the Manila Water said in an advisory.

“While we apologize for the inconvenience these have caused thousands of our customers, we are working non-stop to restore water service as soon as possible,” Manila Water’s Group Head for Corporate Strategic Affairs Jeric Sevilla said. -AAC

Maynilad, Manila Water to extend no disconnection policy until end of MECQ in NCR Plus

Robie de Guzman   •   April 12, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Water concessionaires Maynilad Water Services Inc. and Manila Water Company Inc. will extend the implementation of their no disconnection policy until the end of the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ), the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) on Monday said.

“This is to inform the public that the MWSS Regulatory Office (RO) has directed Manila Water Company, Inc. and Maynilad Water Services, Inc., to extend their suspension of all service disconnection activities (whether temporary or permanent) until such time that the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) has been lifted,” MWSS chief regulator Patrick Lester Ty said in a statement.

Metro Manila and the nearby provinces of Cavite, Bulacan, Rizal, and Laguna have been placed under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) from April 12 to April 30.

Water concessionaires are also directed to provide an uninterrupted 24-hour water supply in their service areas.

“This is to ensure that all customers receive clean and adequate water supply for their health and sanitation requirements, especially during this difficult time of the pandemic,” Ty said.

Meanwhile, the MWSS RO asked concerned local government units to assist water concessionaires as they conduct their meter reading and billing activities during the period of MECQ.

Malacañang identifies key features in new gov`t deal with Manila Water

Marje Pelayo   •   April 6, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang  bared the key features of the new concession deal with Manila Water and Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS).

In particular, the agreement states the removal of government non-interference clauses which means the government will no longer be liable when fulfilling its regulatory functions to protect the consumer.

The deal also recognizes Manila Water as a public utility which makes it more accountable to the government and the public.

Provisions which unduly compromise medium and long term government liabilities have been also removed.

The Palace reiterates that the newly signed agreement is advantageous to the consumer such as the provision that corporate income tax cannot be charged to the consumer.

Tariff freeze will also be effective until December 1, 2022.

Also, the tariff adjustment for inflation will only be two-thirds of the consumer price index and the foreign currency differential adjustment has been removed.

“Dahil po dito sa bagong concession agreement, revised concession agreement sa Manila Water, protektado na po ang gobyerno at ang ating mga consumers,” said Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque.

Meanwhile, the government will also renegotiate with another water concessionaire giant or Maynilad Water Services for a new concession deal.

President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the Department of Justice (DOJ) in 2019 to review the 1997 water concession agreements following the water crisis.

TAGS   

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.