MERS death toll rises to 31 in South Korea outbreak, one new case
admin • June 26, 2015 • 2260
A group of tourists wear masks to prevent contracting Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) as they arrive at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi International Airport, Thailand, June 21, 2015. REUTERS/KEREK WONGSA
Two more patients with Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) virus have died, South Korea’s health ministry said on Friday bringing the total fatality to 31.
The ministry also reported one new case, taking the total to 181 in an outbreak that is the largest outside Saudi Arabia.
The new fatalities had pre-existing health problems, according to the health ministry. Most of the deaths have been elderly patients or those who had existing illnesses.
(Reporting by Ju-min Park; Editing by Richard Pullin)
One of South Korea’s most prominent elected officials, the longtime mayor of its capital, was found dead, police said on Friday (July 10), after he was reported missing by his daughter amid a criminal probe of alleged impropriety.
After a search involving hundreds of police, Mayor Park Won-soon’s body was found at Mt Bugak in northern Seoul around midnight, near where his phone signal had last been detected, the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency said.
It did not give a cause of death. There was no sign of foul play although a detailed investigation would be needed, police official Choi Ik-soo told reporters at a televised briefing at the scene.
The Yonhap news agency said a former secretary of Park had filed a complaint on Wednesday over alleged incidents of sexual harassment.
Choi said an investigation was under way after a criminal complaint had been lodged against Park, without elaborating.
Park’s daughter reported him missing at 5:17 p.m. (0817 GMT) and said his phone was off and that he had left a message “like a will,” Yonhap reported. (Reuters)
(Production: Kim Hong-Ji, Hyunyoung Yi, Minwoo Park)
United States Deputy Secretary of State Stephen Biegun held a meeting with South Korea’s top security adviser on Thursday (July 9) before heading off to Japan in a trip overshadowed by stalled denuclearisation talks with North Korea.
According to Seoul’s presidential office, Biegun met with Suh Hoon, a former spy chief, and discussed the North’s recent movement and ways to foster peace on the Korean peninsula. Suh said he “highly appreciated” the U.S. envoy’s efforts to resume talks with North Korea.
North Korea has said it has no intention of sitting down again with the United States, though U.S. President Donald Trump said this week he would be open to another summit with leader Kim Jong Un. (Reuters)
North Korea has no intention to sit down with the United States and urged South Korea to “stop meddling,” a senior diplomat said on Tuesday (July 7), just as a U.S. envoy was due to visit Seoul in an effort to renew stalled nuclear talks with Pyongyang.
Kwon Jong Gun, director general for U.S. affairs at Pyongyang’s foreign ministry, accused South Korea of misinterpreting Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui’s earlier statement dismissing an “untimely rumor” about another summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump.
Choe said on Saturday (July 4) that North Korea does not feel the need for a new summit, days after South Korean President Moon Jae-in, who had offered to mediate between Kim and Trump, suggested the two leaders meet again before the U.S. elections in November.
U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Stephen Biegun, who led the talks with the North Koreans, was due to arrive in Seoul late on Tuesday for talks with Seoul officials over ways to revive the negotiations. (Reuters)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.