The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) supports Manila Mayor-elect Francisco ‘Isko’ Moreno Domagoso’s platforms including the ‘Pagkain sa Basura’ program.
MMDA Chairman Danilo Lim said they will cooperate with the mayor elect to lessen the waste in Manila.
“Kami ay makikipagtulungan kay Isko Moreno para sa Maynila kung ano ang problema ng basura dito ay walang dahilan kung bakit hindi iyan maa-address kung tayo’y makikipatulungan sa mayor (We will cooperate with Isko Moreno for Manila. There is no reason it [garbage problem] will not be addressed if we cooperate with the mayor),” he said.
According to MMDA’s Flood Control and Sewerage Management Office (FCSMO), 400 truckloads of garbage were collected from the Manila Bay cleanup. This is equal to 3,018 cubic meters of rubbish and silt collected from January 27 to May 17.
Lim assured they will continue the clearing operations on Manila’s waterways.
“Pati ang mga canal, drainage kine-clear natin iyan para iyong pagbaha, magtatag-ulan na naman so tuloy-tuloy ‘yan hindi tuwing bago magpasukan, (We will clear the canals, and drainage to avoid flooding during rainy season. So we will continue this before the school opens)” Lim added.
The department also said they plan to install cisterns or tanks in preparation for the rainy season. However, they are still deciding on which areas to install them.
Lim reiterated that the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) should coordinate with them in order to place cisterns in Manila.
MANILA, Philippines – The Araneta-Aurora intersection in Manila will be closed to motorists for seven consecutive nights beginning this week, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) announced on Tuesday.
In an advisory, the MMDA said the closure will start on August 15 (Thursday) from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. This is to give way to the launching of a girder for the Skyway Stage 3 project.
The MMDA said an average of 17,000 to 18,000 vehicles will be affected by the temporary closure.
Affected motorists are advised to take the following routes:
FOR LIGHT VEHICLES:
From Shaw Boulevard/ V. Mapa, take straight towards Magsaysay Blvd. then Santol Street, right at Palanza, Landargun or Bayani Road, left at G. Araneta to destination and vice versa;
Vehicles from Cubao towards Manila area, along Aurora Blvd., right at Guirayan St., left at Palanza, left at Tomas Arguelles St. or Santol St. to Magsaysay Blvd. to destination;
Vehicles coming from N. Domingo and Blumentritt, take F. Roman, H. Lozada St. and J. Ruiz St.
Vehicles coming from north: along C-3 Sgt. Rivera, right at Bayani, Landargun and Palanza St., left at Santol St., left at Magsaysay Blvd., and take V. Mapa, Old Sta. Mesa to destination
From Quezon Avenue, E. Rodriguez Ave., straight towards España Blvd., left Lacson Ave. straight towards Nagtahan to destination (vice versa); or
Take Magsaysay Blvd., right at V. Mapa to Shaw Blvd. to destination and vice versa.
The Skyway Stage 3 is one of the key projects under the “Build, Build, Build” program of the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte.
The project, which connects Buendia in Makati City to Balintawak in Quezon City, is expected to reduce travel time between the said areas for 15 to 20 minutes from the current two hours.
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) believes that the full implementation of the provincial bus ban along EDSA is a big help in easing the traffic in Metro Manila.
MMDA data shows around 6,500 buses pass thru the yellow lane along EDSA; 3,500 of which are provincial buses.
MMDA General Manager Jojo Garcia admitted at Thursday’s Senate inquiry that the past dry run on provincial bus ban was a failure.
The yellow lane and failed dry run of provincial bus ban are now being blamed for the worsening traffic, particularly that of last week’s traffic situation.
To which Garcia took on the defense, saying: “Na-highlight lang ng media kasi nga palpak yung dry run, so sabi nga namin, palpak ang dry run dahil walang nakisali, siguro out of 100 operators, five lang (the dry run failed and media highlighted it. The dry run failed because no one cooperated. Let’s say, out of 100, only 5 joined [the dry run]).”
Garcia also denied allegations that they were experimenting with EDSA’s traffic situation, saying they were just implementing what was then the practice of the past administration.
Senate Committee on Public Services Chair, Senator Grace Poe, said there was lack of consultation on the MMDA’s part.
Poe said, “Imbes na i-ban ninyo agad, bakit hindi kayo kumuha ng mga inter modal terminals within strategic areas dun sa may EDSA kung tatanggalin ninyo ang 43 or 45 provincial terminals along EDSA [Instead of immediate banning, why didn’t you come up with inter-modal terminals within strategic areas on EDSA if you are going to remove 43 to 45 provincial terminals along EDSA]?”
Senate President Vicente Sotto III also proposed the implementation of an extensive No Parking Zone in Metro Manila.
“Ang talagang solusyon [The real solution} to decongest EDSA is no parking in Metro Manila,” Sotto said.
Sotto also hinted at transferring the government agencies outside of Metro Manila.
Meanwhile, the MMDA will wait for the result of the motion for reconsideration they filed regarding the Quezon City Regional Trial Court’s decision that suspends the provincial bus ban.
For now, MMDA said they will strictly implement the clearing operations in the alternate routes in Metro Manila. (with reports from Nel Maribojoc) /mbmf
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.