NBI nabs 5 individuals in investment scam

Aileen Cerrudo   •   July 23, 2021   •   440

MANILA, Philippines — The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has arrested five individuals reportedly involved in investment scams.

The five individuals were arrested during an entrapment operation in Quezon City.

Authorities identified them as Bernie Limpiada and Marvin Ojeda, firm manager Rogelio Fambuena Jr., Glory Ann Pillora, and Sison Inocencio who were alleged owners of Agri-Wealth Farm Ventures, Inc. (Agri-Wealth).

NBI Spokesperson Ferdinand Lavin said the investment scam would offer a 160% return of investment within the period of 100 days with a daily profit ranging from 1.6% to 2.5% of the invested amount.

“This is a scam and we are warning the public. Do not engage, (do) not believe in this kind of scam. The name of the corporation is Agri-Wealth Farm Ventures, Inc,” he said.

NBI Anti-fraud Division Chief Palmer Mallari said an informant, the Securities and Exchange Commissions (SEC), and the Anti-Red Tape Authority reported that the Agri-Wealth Farm Ventures, Inc. is not registered.

It also does not have a secondary permit as a lending company, broker or dealer, and securities for taking investment funds from the public.

“When investors are being invited to attend the investors’ conferences, the investors are made to believe that this is a real, legitimate corporation. Why? There are tarpaulins, there are brochures being distributed, there are offices being presented and officers of the corporation,” he said.

Further investigation stated that the company only began its operations last month and that the victims of the investment scam reached around 50 or close to 100 individuals.

The five individuals have been charged with violations of Sections 8 and 26 of Republic Act No. 8799, the Securities Regulation Code. AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)

Suspected Abu Sayyaf member nabbed in Quezon City

Robie de Guzman   •   September 15, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Wednesday said it has arrested an Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) member in an operation conducted in Culiat, Quezon City last week.

NBI officer-in-charge, director Eric Distor identified the suspect as Albazir Abdulla alias Abu Saif.

The operatives of the NBI-Counter Terrorism Division (CTD) arrested Abdulla, who is facing kidnapping and serious illegal detention charges for his alleged involvement in the 2001 Golden Harvest Plantation kidnapping case.

The operation was launched after NBI sources reported sightings of Abdulla in Metro Manila. A victim-witness also identified him in a CTD photo line-up as one of the abductors and a member of the ASG.

A series of casing and surveillance operations was conducted by the NBI-CTD in coordination with counterparts from the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), to gather more information, which revealed the actual residence of Abdulla.

The arrested suspect was brought to NBI Detention Facility.

Distor said Abdulla is the second ASG member they arrested in Metro Manila this year. In May, operatives nabbed alleged ASG member Wahab Jamal alis Ustadz Halipa at Maharlika Village in Taguig.

The NBI said that the ASG group headed by their late leader Isnilon Hapilon and other senior ASG leaders raided the Golden Harvest Plantation in Brgy. Tairan, Lantawan, Basilan Province.

The terrorists seized the supplies from sari-sari stores and houses; livestock, firearms and ammunition from the plantation security. They also burned a chapel and detained 14 plantation workers, two of whom were beheaded by the terrorist group.

After four months of captivity, the victims were able to escape on separate occasions during the rescue operations by the government security forces.

After the incident, the ASG stayed in the mountains and some of its members assimilated back to society as “sleepers” or “spies,” the NBI said.

PNP welcomes NBI findings on QC ‘misencounter’

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 7, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) said it welcomes the findings of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) regarding the so-called “misencounter” between the national police and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA).

The PNP assured that all its personnel involved are fully accounted for and would be made available should the Department of Justice require their participation in the conduct of its own review with regard to the findings submitted by the NBI.

On Monday (September 7), the NBI has recommended filing charges against 12 Quezon City policemen for their involvement in the “misencounter” during an illegal drugs operation last February 24 in Quezon City.

The national police, in a statement, also said that the incident has paved the way in clearing the gray areas in the coordination protocol and in outlining improvements and institutionalization of measures to prevent the repeat of the incident.

The Memorandum Circular, entitled Unified Coordination Guidelines in the Conduct of Anti-Illegal Drugs Operation was signed by the PNP chief and the PDEA Director General last July.

“The Philippine National Police commits to honoring and institutionalizing the PDEA-PNP Memorandum Circular as both law enforcement agencies aspire to put an end to the illegal drugs menace in the country,” the statement read. AAC

NBI files charges vs 12 cops, 4 PDEA agents involved in QC misencounter

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 6, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has filed charges against 12 policemen and 4 agents of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) involved in the misencounter in Quezon City.

The “misencounter” occurred on February 24 near a fast-food restaurant along Commonwealth Avenue, Quezon City which resulted in the deaths of two policeman, a PDEA agent and an informant.

Based on the investigation conducted, the NBI recommended the prosecution PDEA agents Khee Maricar Pornobi Rodas, Jelou Juanitez Santiniaman, and Jeffrey Panhon Baguidudol for homicide over the death of Quezon City Police Department member PCPL Eric Elvin Garado.

PDEA agent Romeo Asuncion and Quezon City Police District-District Special Operating Unit (QCPD-DSOU) member PCPL Alvin Borja were recommended to be criminally charged for the deaths of policeman Lauro De Guzman and PDEA agent Rankin B. Gano, respectively.

Recommendation for prosecution was also given to Santiniaman and eight other policemen identified as Borja, PLT Ronnie Ereno, PCPL Marlon Masiclat, PCPL Ronilo Prepose, PCPL Jason Coranez, PCPL Aries Curit, PCPL Marco Tapanan, PCPL James Dasalla for attempted homicide.

PMAJ Sandie D. Caparroso, PCPL Raul Christian Zacarias Gandeza, PLT Honey Besas  were also accused of direct assault with physical injuries, direct assault with less serious physical injuries, and direct assault. Caparroso was also charged with robbery and conniving or consenting to evasion.

Meanwhile, PCPL Christopher Alvarez Besas and Erena were named Caparroso’s co-respondents in the allegation of having committed conniving or consenting to evasion.

 

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.