No need for vital signs screening before COVID-19 vaccination, DOH says

Robie de Guzman   •   May 14, 2021   •   389

MANILA, Philippines – The vital signs screening will no longer be included in the vaccination process against COVID-19 as part of efforts to expedite the immunization in the country, the Department of Health (DOH) said Friday.

In an online press briefing, Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said they have already issued guidelines regarding the matter after DOH advisors and vaccination experts approved the recommendation from the Philippine Heart Association and the Philippine Society of Hypertension.

She said the new policy was approved after a DOH time and motion study found that walk-in vaccine recipients and the vital signs screening were causing long queues in vaccination sites.

“Meron na ngayong patakaran here in Metro Manila ang ating mga local government, only those master listed should go to the vaccination site kaya lang ngayon siyempre ang mga kababayan natin, very eager sila na magpabakuna na kahit hindi sila yung scheduled for that day, they go to the vaccination site, so that’s one,” Vergeire said.

“Pangalawa, nakita natin na there are certain processes within our system na nakakatagal talaga and one of those would be the vital signs screening, yung pag-BP (blood pressure), pagkuha ng temperature, pagkuha ng pulse rate, ng heart rate,” she added.

Under the new guidelines, Vergeire said that healthcare workers only need to closely monitor individuals with established hypertension or organ damage prior to their vaccination.

“Ang kailangan lang nating bantayan, especially for the blood pressure, would be yung blood pressure na 180/120 or more. Pero yung iba, kahit tumataas yung presyon, maaari pa rin naman natin silang bakunahan,” she said.

“Naglagay rin tayo sa guidelines natin na there should be a separate lane para sa mga taong gusto nating obserbahan because of their established history ng kaniang mga sakit para hindi po sila nakakadagdag doon sa pila,” she added.

Vergeire also said that the DOH is eyeing to expand vaccination sites to help speed up the rollout.

The health official also noted that the public confidence in COVID-19 vaccines has increased citing a survey they conducted in March.

Vergeire said the poll showed that 75 percent of respondents said that they are willing to get immunized if a vaccine was available, and 85.8 percent said they would get inoculated if they knew that the vaccines were safe and effective.

“Nakita po natin yung pagtaas talaga ng kumpiyansa ng ating mga kababayan noong nakita nilang marami na ring nababakunahan,” she said.

The Philippines has so far administered over 2.5 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, with over 500,000 who are fully vaccinated.

Delivery of 50K doses of Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccines moved to a later date — NTF

Robie de Guzman   •   June 23, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The delivery of some 50,000 doses of Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine has been deferred, National Task Force (NTF) against COVID-19 chief implementer and vaccine czar Carlito Galvez Jr. said Wednesday.

Galvez said the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) has informed the Philippine government that the delivery of additional Sputnik V vaccine doses will be moved to a later date due to ongoing upgrades and latest developments on the vaccine.

The vaccine jabs were supposed to be delivered on June 20.

Galvez said no definite date has been set for the delivery of the vaccines.

These doses were intended as the second dose for those who were inoculated with the brand’s Component I vaccines earlier this month.

“We have already informed all local government units who have administered the first dose of Sputnik V to their constituents that the schedule for the second shot will likewise be pushed back and will be rescheduled,” Galvez said.

Malacañang, meanwhile, assured the public that the delay in the delivery of the brand’s Component II will not compromise the vaccine’s efficacy.

“So wala pong epekto yung kaunting delay, it will even be more ideal for efficacy na madelay yung second dose ng Sputnik V,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said.

“Nagkaroon na po ng communication yung EUA (emergency use authorization) ng Sputnik V ay papaamyendahan po, apparently mas mataas po ang efficacy kung mas matagal ang period ng first dose sa second dose,” he added.

The NTF said the country’s Food and Drug Administration is currently studying the request of Gamaleya Research Institute, developer of Sputnik V, to amend the interval period between the two doses of the vaccine.

Gamaleya wants to extend the interval period to 90 days from the current 21 days.

The Philippines has so far received 180,000 doses of the Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)

Albay LGU calls for additional COVID-19 supply due to surge of cases

Aileen Cerrudo   •   June 23, 2021

The Albay local government is calling for additional vaccine doses for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) amid the surge of cases in the province.

During a virtual public briefing on Wednesday (June 23), Albay Governor Al Francis Bichara reported that the province has recorded 1,958 active cases as of Wednesday.

He also reported that the province has enough machines for their laboratory testing in regional hospitals but there are delays in releasing the test results.

Bichara said there are not enough COVID-19 vaccines delivered to the province.

“Ang dumating sa aming ay 6,000 plus vaccines, pero ang dapat na bakunahan namin ay 46,000 from A1 to A4 [Priority Group],” he said.

(Only 6,000 vaccines arrived but we need to vaccinate 46,000 individuals from the A1 to A4 Priority Group.)

Bichara said vaccinating essential workers is necessary to prevent the further spread of the virus in the province.

The Albay official also belied reports that the region will experience a similar situation in India. He added that several COVID-19 patients prefer private hospitals while others refuse to be isolated in quarantine facilities and would rather stay at home.

“Iyong iba naman maliit ang bahay, mahahawa ang buong pamilya. Kadalasan, ganoon ang nangyayari. Nagkakaroon ng family transmission kaya ubos ang pamilya, puro positive,” he said.

(There is not enough space in some houses so the entire family gets infected. That’s what usually happens. There is family transmission so all the family members are positive)

Meanwhile, Bichara said residents would rather not have the region be placed under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ). He assured that the situation in the region is not as dire compared with other areas. He reported that he met with mayors in the region to discuss stricter guidelines under general community quarantine.

“Pinatigil pa namin ang mga karaoke at may liquor ban. May curfew sa ibang bayan,” he said.

(We imposed a karaoke and liquor ban. There is a curfew in several areas.)

Medical experts in Bicol previously recommended putting the region under heightened quarantine restriction due to the increasing of COVID-19 cases. AAC

Cebu LGU, binawi na ang kautusan para sa uuwing OFWs, ROFs

UNTV News   •   June 23, 2021

CEBU, Philippines — Binawi na ni Cebu Province Governor Gwendolyn Garcia ang inilabas nitong Executive Order No. 23 noong Lunes, kung saan binalaan ang mga ahensya ng pamahalaan na kakasuhan kung lalabag sa swab-upon- arrival policy ng lalawigan at ang magpipilit na i-quarantine ang mga uuwing overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) at returning overseas Filipinos (ROFs).

Sa pahayag ng gobernador ng Cebu, ipatutupad na sa probinsya ang itinakdang health protocols ng National Covid-19 Task Force hinggil sa testing at quarantine sa mga OFWs at ROFs.

Ang naturang pagbawi ay bunsod ng naging pahayag ni Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte na hindi exempted ang Cebu sa pagpapatupad sa itinakdang guidelines ng national government.

“In-deference to the president, I am announcing right now that the executive order that I issued, EO 23, yesterday reminding all heads of government agencies that the provincial ordinance was in-effect. I am now setting aside in deference to the the president” sinabi ni Gov. Garcia

Tuloy pa rin ang pagpapatupad swab-upon-arrival policy ngunit kailangan ng manatili sa isang quarantine facility ng mga OFWs at ROFs sa loob ng sampung araw.

Samantala, may nakatakdang pagpupulong sa June 28, 2021 si Governor Garcia kay Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque kasama ang mga technical expert upang pag-usapan ang IATF guidelines. (Ulat mula kay Iris Madelo)

 

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.