MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has not decided yet as to who will assume the position vacated by former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief, retired General Oscar Albayalde.
The President said he is carefully assessing the credentials of potential candidates to head the country’s main law enforcement arm.
Without an honest, corruption-free man to assume the job, the Chief Executive hinted on taking over the PNP.
“Ang akin, (for me) if they have even a single case of corruption, wala na, (it’s a no), you’re out,” the President warned.
“I would rather not appoint anybody for that matter. Ako na ang hahawak noon (I will take over). I will be the one directing the guidance and direction,” he added.
The President previously said he wants to be conscientious in choosing the next chief of the national police following controversies that tainted the credibility of Albayalde in relation to his alleged involvement with the so-called ninja cops or drug recycling issue that compelled him to resign.
President Duterte acknowledged, meanwhile, that there are a lot of things within the PNP that needs improvement and overhaul.
“But verily itong pulis maraming problema, pati generals nila kasali sa droga (Verily I say these policemen are the problems themselves, even their generals are involved in drugs),” the Chief Executive noted.
“Iyan ang ayaw ko diyan, pati generals. Hindi lumabas iyan hanggang hindi ako naging president (That’s what I hate, that even the generals [are involved]. Not until I became president that this was exposed),” he added. MNP (with details from Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines—The Philippines will expand its vaccination rollout for minors, aged 12 to 17, to 13 more hospitals.
President Rodrigo Duterte during his Talk to the People on Tuesday (October 19) announced that 13 more hospitals will participate in the vaccination program for the said age group.
“We will expand the vaccination of this adolescent age group of 12 to 17 by adding 13 more hospitals in the NCR. Currently, we have an initial eight participating hospitals and we hope to expand this number [of hospitals] and we also welcome the arrival of additional vaccines in the coming days,” Duterte said.
National Task Force Against COVID-19 chief implementer and vaccine czar Sec. Carlito Galvez Jr. said they are raising their daily vaccination target to 1.5 million.
“We will be opening the general population, then the pilot of children vaccination, and we are ramping up the vaccination of students, teachers, and tourism personnel, OFWs, and seafarers,” he said.
Galvez said they can accelerate the vaccination of children to support the opening of the classes and economic recovery.
Around 1,500 minors with comorbidities were vaccinated during the pilot vaccination in eight hospitals, the Department of Health (DOH) reported. Among those inoculated, only four experienced minor side effects. AAC
MANILA, Philippines—President Rodrigo Duterte has taken the blame for the Philippines’ vaccine shortage in the early months of 2021.
During his weekly public address on Monday evening (October 11), Duterte lamented that it was difficult to get vaccines back then especially when the country has no vaccine manufacturing company. He said that the country had to fight with other nations just to get supplies.
Duterte added that he deserves the blame since he is the one seated in office.
“Iyan ang nakabigay ng problema sa akin at kung mayroon man nagkasala diyan, aminin ko na lang. Kasi wala rin ako magawa, gusto ko bumili, wala naman ako mabilihan,” he said.
However, the chief executive said the vaccine supply in the country has improved which helped bring down the number of cases.
He reported that the weekly average of new COVID-19 cases has dropped to less than 10,000 while the current reproduction rate of the virus has gone down to .77 percent.
“If we continue to ramp up the vaccination of our people, along with our consistent practice of mask and there is gradual resumption of our economic activities, then we can hope for a better and truly merry Christmas,” he said. AAC
MANILA, Philippines—President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday (October 4) said he will prepare his defense for the International Criminal Court’s (ICC) investigation after he steps down from office.
The Chief Executive made the statement during his regular public address on Monday night. He also appealed to the ICC and investigators not to lie and fabricate evidence.
“Sa maraming dada ng dada ng kaso, hintayin ko kayo. I will prepare for my defense na iyong ICC na iyan. Huwag lang kayong magsinungaling(To those who keep bringing up the case, I will prepare my defense for the ICC. Just don’t lie.)” he said.
“Hindi ko kayo tinatakot, huwag niyo ako dayain sa ebidensiya, (I am not intimidating you, just do not fabricate evidence against me),” the president added.
Duterte once again assured policemen and other local authorities of his protection as long as they obey the law.
Meanwhile, the president maintained his stand that the ICC has no jurisdiction over the Philippines.
“May sarili kaming judicial system dito. Huwag kayong makialam. At saka sinabi ko (We have our own judicial system. Do not interfere. And I did say) you never acquired jurisdiction over my person,” Duterte said. AAC
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.