North Korea tells U.N. chief nuclear program not up for negotiation

UNTV News   •   August 18, 2017   •   4492

Servicepersons of the Korean People’s Army (KPA) and the Korean People’s Internal Security Forces (KPISF), civilians, school youth and children visited the statues of President Kim Il Sung and leader Kim Jong Il on the occasion of the 72nd anniversary of national liberation in this undated photo released by North Korea’s Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on August 15, 2017. KCNA /via REUTERS / Michelle Nichols

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) – North Korea’s nuclear weapons program will never be up for negotiation as long as the U.S. government’s “hostile policy and nuclear threat continue,” Pyongyang’s deputy U.N. ambassador told United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.

Guterres spoke by telephone with Deputy Ambassador Kim In Ryong on Tuesday, the North Korean mission to the United Nations said in a statement on Thursday. North Korea’s U.N. Ambassador Ja Song Nam is currently in North Korea, also known as DPRK.

“As long as the U.S. hostile policy and nuclear threat continue, the DPRK … will never place its self-defensive nuclear deterrence on the negotiation table or flinch an inch from the road chosen by itself, the road of bolstering up the state nuclear force,” Kim told Guterres according to an account of the phone call given by the North Korea U.N. mission.

Guterres said on Wednesday it was time to “dial down rhetoric and dial up diplomacy” on North Korea and that he had told Russia, Japan, the United States, China and North and South Korea that he was available to help broker talks.

U.S. President Donald Trump warned North Korea last week it would face “fire and fury” if it threatened the United States, prompting North Korea to say it was considering plans to fire missiles toward Guam.

But North Korean media reported on Tuesday that Kim delayed the decision while he waited to see what the United States did next, prompting Trump to praise Kim’s “wise” decision.

“As the U.S. launched full-scale provocation against the DPRK across all fields of politics, economy and military, nothing can alter the will and resolve of the army and people of the DPRK to respond by taking resolute retaliatory measures,” Kim told Guterres according to the North Korean statement.

The U.N. Security Council unanimously a U.S.-drafted resolution to impose new sanctions on North Korea on Aug. 5 that could slash by a third the Asian state’s $3 billion annual export revenue.

Kim told Guterres the resolution “constitutes a flagrant infringement upon (North Korea’s) sovereignty and an open challenge to it.”

North Korea has been under U.N. sanctions since 2006 over its ballistic missile and nuclear programs and the Security Council has ratcheted up the measures in response to five nuclear weapons tests and four long-range missile launches.

“The DPRK will make the U.S. pay dearly for all the heinous crime it commits against the state and people of this country,” the North Korea U.N. mission said Kim told Guterres.

Reporting by Michelle Nichols; Editing by David Gregorio

DFA calls on North Korea to comply with int’l obligations after ballistic missile launch

Aileen Cerrudo   •   March 31, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—Following the ballistic missile launch of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) on March 25, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has reiterated its call for the country to comply with international laws.

The Foreign Department, in a statement on Friday (March 31), expressed concern over DPRK’s latest ballistic missile launch saying the actions undermine regional peace and stability, not only in the Korean Peninsula, but also in the entire region.

The department said the DPRK should abide by the obligation under the resolutions set by the United Nations Security Council.

Two missiles were launched by North Korea into the sea near Japan on Thursday (March 25). AAC

UN chief calls on world leaders to declare ‘state of climate emergency’

Marje Pelayo   •   December 14, 2020

In his opening remarks at the Climate Ambition Summit on Saturday (December 12), United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called for a worldwide declaration of “state of climate emergency.” 

Such a declaration, Guterres said, is to address the impact of global warming.

The Secretary General noted that currently the world is 1.2 degrees hotter than before the industrial revolution. 

“If we don’t change course, we may be headed for a catastrophic temperature rise of more than 3 degrees this century. Can anybody still deny that we are facing a dramatic emergency?,” he said.

“That is why today, I call on all leaders worldwide to declare a State of Climate Emergency in their countries until carbon neutrality is reached,” he added.

The central objective of the UN in 2021, he said, will be to build a truly global coalition for carbon neutrality by the middle of the century.

The UN official said global economic policies and finance must be aligned with the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals.

Thus, it is time to put a price on carbon and phase out fossil fuel finance and end fossil fuel subsidies.

He also suggested ending the construction of new coal power plants and shifting the tax burden from income to carbon, from taxpayers to polluters.

Also, Guterres calls on nations to make climate-related financial risk disclosures mandatory and to integrate the goal of carbon neutrality into all economic and fiscal policies and decisions.

On a positive note, the Secretary General commended several countries who have started to reduce carbon emissions while some 38 countries have already declared the state of climate emergency realizing the urgency.

“I urge everyone to show ambition, stop the assault on our planet,” he said.

“Do what we need to guarantee the future of our children and grandchildren,” he said.

Pyongyang disinfects the city after North Korea introduced tougher curbs against coronavirus

UNTV News   •   July 29, 2020

North Korea’s state-run television on Tuesday (July 28) released a video of Pyongyang workers disinfecting the city as the state introduced tougher curbs against the coronavirus, after it locked down the town Kaesong, on the border with the South, to tackle what could be its first publicly confirmed infection.

Strict quarantine measures and the screening of districts were in progress and test kits, protective clothing and medical equipment were being supplied, the North’s KCNA state news agency said.

The measures come after North Korean leader Kim Jong Un declared an emergency on Sunday (July 26) after a person who defected to South Korea three years ago returned across the highly fortified demilitarised zone (DMZ) to Kaesong this month with symptoms of COVID-19, KCNA reported.

Reclusive North Korea had reported testing 1,211 people for the virus as of July 16 with all returning negative results, the World Health Organisation said in a statement sent to Reuters. The report said 696 nationals were under quarantine. (Reuters)

(Production: Minwoo Park)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.