Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

NYC’s Cardema deemed resigned from post —Malacañang

by Maris Federez   |   Posted on Monday, May 20th, 2019

Ronald Cardema

Malacañang announced that National Youth Commission (NYC) chairperson Ronald Cardema is now considered to have abandoned his position when he filed a petition for substitution before the Commission on Elections (Comelec) as the first nominee of the Duterte Youth Party-list.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said Cardena did not seek permission from the Office of the President.

Panelo added that Cardema’s petition and the Comelec’s confirmation that it was timely filed one day before the elections (May 12) connote “that he is considered ipso facto resigned from his present post.”

“As far as we’re concerned, he showed his disinterest in further serving the Executive branch, who are we to stop him,” Panelo said.

Comelec has no decision yet on Cardema’s petition.

The Palace has ordered him “to vacate his office forthwith and turn over all the official papers, documents, and properties in his possession to the Office of the President.”

Panelo has also assured that “the President shall soon appoint a person who can advance the genuine interests and welfare of our country’s youth as the new chairperson of the NYC.” – (with details from Rosalie Coz) /mbmf

Tags: , , , ,

Comelec says voter registration to resume in August

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Friday, June 21st, 2019

Residents search for their names on the voters list

MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) said Friday that the voter registration for the next election is expected to resume on August 1, 2019 and will run until September 30, 2019.

“Voter registration is expected to run Aug 1 to Sept 30, 2019, inclusive of Saturdays & holidays,”Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez said in a post on Twitter.

Jimenez said approximately two million new voters are expected to register in the said period.

“SK (Sangguniang Kabataan) voters need not register anew upon turning eighteen; their names will automatically be transferred to the regular List of Voters,” he added.

Comelec data showed there were more than 61 million registered voters in the last 2019 May Midterm polls. More than 18 million of the said number are from the youth sector or the so-called Millennials and Generation Z, born in the mid-90s and early 2000s.

The poll body has been urging Filipino voters to go out and exercise their right to suffrage in order to elect honest and deserving officials.

Tags: , ,

Youth groups stage protest vs Cardema’s congressional bid as Duterte Youth rep

by Maris Federez   |   Posted on Wednesday, June 19th, 2019

Youth groups congregated in front of the office of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to protest against the congressional bid of former National Youth Commission (NYC) chairman Ronald Cardema under the Duterte Youth party list.

Kabataan Partylist, Youth Act Now Against Tyranny and other youth groups voiced their opposition to Cardema’s bid and appeal to Comelec to junk the former official’s petition for a seat in Congress.

This, they say, will give Comelec the opportunity to prove that the last election was indeed fraud-free.

The group stressed that Cardema is not qualified to represent a youth group.

Comelec commissioners Rowena Guanzon and Luie Tito Guia had earlier stated Cardema cannot take a seat in Congress under the Duterte Youth party list for several grounds:

  1. that Cardema was not able to comply with the submission of documents when the Duterte Youth filed their Certificate of Nomination and Acceptance (CONA); and
  2. that Cardema already past the age requirement of 30 for a youth representative

Comelec is yet to come up with a final decision. (with reports from Aiko Miguel) /mbmf

Tags: , , , ,

Comelec delays decision until petition vs Cardema is resolved

by Maris Federez   |   Posted on Wednesday, June 19th, 2019

Former National Youth Commission Chair Ronald Cardema

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has yet to come up with a final decision on the case of National Youth Commission (NYC) chairman Ronald Cardema as a new petition has been filed before the poll body against his nomination as Duterte Youth representative.

Former Comelec chair Sixto Brillantes Jr. and election lawyer Romulo Macalintal on Monday (June 17) filed a petition before the poll body to reject Cardema’s substitution bid.

Comelec First Division resumed hearing on Wednesday.  

“Pangalawa na po ito at pirmado ng mga Abugadong si Atty Sixto Brillantes at si Atty Romulo Macalintal. Dahil dito may hearing po ang First Division,” Commissioner Rowena Guanzon said.

She added, “maaaring ma- consolidate o isasabay na ang pagdedesisyon sa mga kasong ito para mapadali ang pag- resolusyon.”

Guanzon also said that they will not release their final decision until the hearings on all the petitions against Cardema’s bid for a congressional seat.

Guanzon and Commissioner Luie Tito Guia also stressed that Cardema cannot assume the position as the representative of Duterte Youth because he and the party-list group were not able to comply with the submission of documents when they filed their Certificate of Nomination and Acceptance (CONA).

The two Comelec officials added that Cardema is already past the required age of 30.

Under Republic Act 7941 or the Party-list System Act, youth party-list representatives must be within 25 and 30 age range.

Cardema’s camp, on the other hand, had earlier reiterated that Duterte Youth does not only represent the young people but also the young professionals that is why he is still qualified to sit as its first nominee. (with reports from Aiko Miguel) /mbmf

Tags: , , , , , , ,