Ocean, jungle explosions new risks from Hawaii eruption
admin • May 23, 2018 • 2509
Aerial view of erupting fissure 22 and lava channels flowing southward from the fissure is seen from the air during an early morning overflight during ongoing eruptions of the Kilauea Volcano in Hawaii, U.S. May 21, 2018. Courtesy Volcano Helicopters/USGS/Handout via REUTERS
Lava from Hawaii’s erupting Kilauea Volcano is exploding as it pours into the ocean, shooting rock fragments that are a danger to boaters. Inland, where molten rock is burning through the jungle, methane explosions are hurling boulders while toxic gas is reaching some of the highest levels seen in recent times.
These were new risks geologists warned of on Tuesday (May 22) as Kilauea’s 19-day eruption showed no sign of easing, with repeated explosions at its summit and fountains of lava up to 160 feet (50 m) from giant cracks or fissures on its flank.
Lava edged towards a geothermal power plant on Tuesday after destroying an old warehouse near the facility, County of Hawaii Civil Defense said.
The site marked the latest challenge facing authorities during what geologists call an unprecedented, simultaneous eruption at Kilauea’s summit and from giant fissures 25 miles (40 km) down its eastern side.
About 3 miles (4.8 km) to the east of the plant on the coast, noxious clouds of acid fumes, steam, and fine glass-like particles billowed into the sky as lava poured into the ocean from two lava flows. — Reuters
The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has advised local government units (LGU) to do early disaster preparedness actions.
DILG Spokesperson Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya said it is better to have preparations now instead of waiting for the eleventh hour before taking action.
“Sunod-sunod na naman ang mga bagyo pumapasok sa ating bansa kaya inaatasan natin ang mga lokal na pamahalaan na maging laging handa. Huwag na nating hintayin ang unos bago tayo kumilos, (Several typhoons are entering the country so we directed local government units to always be prepared. Let us not wait for the disaster to hit before taking action)” he said.
The DILG previously launched Operation L!STO which is a national advocacy program for disaster preparedness and disaster risk management at the local level.
Malaya said because of this manual, there is no reason for LGUs not to know the protocols during a disaster.
“The DILG has given all LGUs the Listo Manual to guide them on the sets of minimum critical ‘things-to-do’ during an impending weather disturbance or tropical cyclone,” he said.
The Listo Manual v.3 contains a preparedness checklist and also provides authority to LCEs to undertake pre-emptive or mandatory evacuation when necessary.—AAC
MANILA, Philippines – Rights abuse victims during the Marcos regime were able to breathe a huge sigh of relief when President Rodrigo Duterte approved to extend the distribution of claims until the end of the year.
According to the group, Samahan ng mga Ex-detainees Laban sa Detensuon at Aresto (SELDA), around P234 million from the P10 billion total amount of reparation pay are yet to be claimed by around 170 recognized claimants.
“Ang mga grantee noon (ay) may mga kulang pa talagang mga documents daw so hinabol ng iba iyong mga kulang ng documents,” explained SELDA’s National Coordinator Danny dela Fuente.
The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) is now planning the process and finalizing the timeline for the distribution of the remaining claims.
Apart from this, the rights group said the 7,500 Martial law victims who were among those who filed a class action lawsuit in Hawaii may still be able to receive an additional amount from so called ‘ill-gotten wealth’ of the Marcoses deposited in the island state.
SELDA noted that each recognized claimant might receive P75,000 each from the US$13.75 million dollar earned from the auctioned paintings of the Marcoses.
This would be possible if the court will rule in favor of their petition expected to be announced in March.
It can be noted that the complainants were given an initial amount when the Hawaii court ruled in their favor against the Marcoses in the Hawaii case.
“Ang tawag ngayon doon (ay) Marcos estate, iyong inihabla namin sa Hawaii. Nagkaroon nga ng favorable decision ang court of US federal district of Hawaii na kami ay ma-award ng $1.9B. Walang panggagalingan iyon kundi ang kanilang ill-gotten wealth,” dela Fuente concluded. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Rey Pelayo)
Firefighters and other rescuers worked on Monday (January 28) to uncover a bus they presume is filled with people who perished in Friday’s (January 25) disaster, in which a burst tailings dam sent a torrent of sludge into a miner’s offices and the Brazilian town of Brumadinho.
Firefighters laid down wood planks to cross a sea of sludge that is hundreds of meters wide in places, to reach the bus and search for bodies inside. Villagers discovered the bus as they tried to rescue a nearby cow stuck in the mud.
Firefighters on Monday (January 28) confirmed 60 people killed by the disaster. Nearly 300 more people are unaccounted for, and officials said it was unlikely that any would be found alive.
The disaster at the Corrego do Feijao mine in southern Brazil occurred less than four years after a dam collapsed at a nearby mine run by Samarco Mineracao SA, a joint venture by Vale and BHP Billiton, killing 19 and dumping toxic sludge in a major river.
While the 2015 Samarco disaster unleashed about five times more mining waste, Friday’s dam break was far deadlier as the wall of mud hit Vale’s local offices, including a crowded cafeteria, and tore through a populated area downhill. — Reuters
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.