Oral arguments on Anti-Terrorism Law suspended, to resume on March 2
Aileen Cerrudo • February 22, 2021 • 276
MANILA, Philippines—The oral arguments on the Anti-Terrorism Law has been moved to March 2.
In an advisory, the Supreme Court announced that several justices are undergoing self-quarantine as a safety precaution against the coronavirus disease (COVID-19). According to a source, one of the justices tested positive for COVID-19.
The en banc session set for Tuesday (February 23) is also suspended.
Meanwhile, petitioners want to raise new developments to the SC regarding their request for a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) on the Anti-Terrorism Bill.
One of the petitioners’ lawyers, Atty. Edcel Lagman said they want to include the alleged ‘red-tagging’ of one of the generals of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).
“For the first time in history petitioners and their counsel before this honorable court are seriously threatened with persecution under the challenged statute by no less than military general who is part of the state enforcing the controverted ATA,” he said. AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)
MANILA, Philippines — The oral arguments on petitions questioning the legality of the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020 will resume on April 27, the Supreme Court (SC) said.
In an advisory, the SC said the next oral arguments would be held via videoconferencing “given the current public health situation.”
“Oral arguments shall resume on April 27, 2021, at 2:30 p.m. which, per prior order, is two weeks after the lifting of enhanced community quarantine in the National Capital Judicial Region,” the SC said.
“This arrangement shall be pro hac vice [for this occasion only] vis-à-vis these consolidated cases. Personal appearance before the Court En Banc remains to e the primary mode of conducting oral arguments,” it added.
The proceedings will be streamed online but will only be limited to an audio feed, the high court said.
The oral arguments on the 37 petitions lodged against the measure were put on hold since last month due to the spike of infections and other COVID-19 concerns.
MANILA, Philippines—Physical courts in the National Capital Region (NCR) Plus will remain closed until April 18, the Supreme Court (SC) announced on Saturday (April 10).
Based on SC Administrative Circular no. 21-2021, all courts in the NCR Plus will continue to operate through videoconferencing and judges can conduct fully remote hearings online.
“Considering the unbated rise of COVID-19 cases, the requests of judges and court personnel, and upon the concurrence of the members of the court en banc; all the courts and judicial offices in the National Capital Judicial Region and the provinces of Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna, and Rizal shall remain physically closed until April 18,” the circular reads.
The SC said its offices in the NCR Plus can be reached via hotline and email addressed posted on its website.
Meanwhile, the time for filing and service of pleadings and motions during this period is suspended and shall resume “seven calendar days counted from the first day of physical reopening of the relevant court.” AAC
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.