Oral arguments on petitions vs anti-terror law set for January 2021

Robie de Guzman   •   November 20, 2020   •   387

MANILA, Philippines – The Supreme Court has set a date for the oral arguments on the petitions filed against the Anti-Terrorism Law.

Based on a high court advisory sent to petitioners on Friday, the SC will begin oral arguments on January 19, 2021. It also listed the main issues to be discussed during the oral arguments.

The Supreme Court also directed the counsels of both petitioners and respondents to submit their manifestations on January 13, 2021.

As of this month, there are 37 petitions filed against the law, with several groups reiterating their pleas for the high court to issue a temporary restraining order on the enforcement of the measure following the issuance of its implementing rules and regulations last month.

Petitioners argued that the vague and broad provisions of the law can be used to silence government critics for fear of being tagged as terrorists.

They also urged the high court to declare the entire law unconstitutional.

Lawmakers who authored and sponsored the measure, however, maintained that the law has enough safeguards against abuse. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Dante Amento)

Supreme Court: Oral arguments on anti-terror act to resume April 27

Robie de Guzman   •   April 22, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The oral arguments on petitions questioning the legality of the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020 will resume on April 27, the Supreme Court (SC) said.

In an advisory, the SC said the next oral arguments would be held via videoconferencing “given the current public health situation.”

“Oral arguments shall resume on April 27, 2021, at 2:30 p.m. which, per prior order, is two weeks after the lifting of enhanced community quarantine in the National Capital Judicial Region,” the SC said.

“This arrangement shall be pro hac vice [for this occasion only] vis-à-vis these consolidated cases. Personal appearance before the Court En Banc remains to e the primary mode of conducting oral arguments,” it added.

The proceedings will be streamed online but will only be limited to an audio feed, the high court said.

The oral arguments on the 37 petitions lodged against the measure were put on hold since last month due to the spike of infections and other COVID-19 concerns.

Next oral argument on anti-terror act to be held via videoconferencing, Supreme Court says

Robie de Guzman   •   April 8, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Supreme Court (SC) on Thursday said that the next oral arguments on petitions questioning the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020 will be held virtually.

The SC Clerk of Court said the continuation of oral arguments will be conducted through videoconferencing with live audio streaming made available to the public.

“The technical details and the rules for the videoconferenced oral arguments pro hac vice shall be promulgated as soon as the Court En Banc is able to convene,” it said.

The Supreme Court earlier said that oral arguments on the anti-terror act will resume two weeks after the lifting of the enhanced community quarantine being enforced in Metro Manila and four nearby provinces.

Metro Manila and the provinces of Cavite, Bulacan, Laguna, and Rizal – collectively called NCR Plus – were initially placed under ECQ from March 29 to April 4 in a bid to curb the rise in COVID-19 cases.

The national government later extended the ECQ period to April 11.

The high court last held oral arguments session on March 2.

It previously suspended scheduled oral arguments on the anti-terrorism act due to COVID-related concerns.

The next session of proceedings will be presided by newly installed Supreme Court Chief Justice Alexander Gesmundo.

SC to resume oral arguments on anti-terror act to 2 weeks after ECQ is lifted in NCR+

Robie de Guzman   •   April 5, 2021

 

MANILA, Philippines — Oral arguments on petitions seeking to nullify the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020 will resume two weeks after the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) is lifted in the National Capital Region (NCR) Plus, the Supreme Court (SC) said Monday.

In an advisory, the SC Public Information Office said the oral arguments scheduled for April 6, Tuesday will be postponed.

“Oral Arguments on the consolidated cases in G.R. No. 252578, et al. questioning The Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020 (R.A. 11479) scheduled for tomorrow (April 6, 2021) is postponed and will resume two weeks after the ECQ is lifted in the NCR,” it said.

The Supreme Court last held oral arguments session on March 2.

This is the fifth time that the high court moved the oral arguments on the controversial law.

On March 8, the high court suspended the oral arguments on the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020 after some justices went on self-isolation as a precaution against the viral disease.

The proceedings were supposed to resume on March 16 but were moved again to March 23 due to COVID-related concerns.

The NCR and four nearby provinces of Cavite, Bulacan, Laguna, and Rizal – collectively called NCR Plus – were initially placed under ECQ from March 29 to April 4 in a bid to curb the rise in COVID-19 cases.

The national government later extended the ECQ period to April 11.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.