P288-B in business deals inked: Duterte assures Japanese businessmen a ‘corruption-free’ PH
Marje Pelayo • May 29, 2019 • 9670
TOKYO, Japan – Trade Secretary Ramon Lopez on Wednesday (May 29) reported the strong show of confidence by the Japanese and Filipino business communities resulting in 26 business agreements signed during the visit of President Rodrigo Duterte.
Seven business agreements and 19 Letters of Intent, according to Lopez, have been signed with an estimated investment value of P288-billion and a projected 82,732 job opportunities for Filipinos.
The business deals focus mainly on investment promotion activities; skills training and human resource development; software development; manufacturing; infrastructure; establishment of theme parks and agreements on food business; and health care among others.
“We know that for each job that is created, we uplift the life of one Filipino and his or her family members,” Lopez said.
The Trade Secretary thanked the investors “in helping the Duterte administration and the Filipino people in creating a more inclusive growth and shared prosperity.”
President Duterte lauded Japan’s business leaders for their trust and continued support to the initiatives of his administration.
He specifically encouraged Japanese investors to venture on his government’s flagship agenda – the Build, Build, Build infrastructure program – towards the creation of an inclusive, innovative and integrated economic space.
The President assured the Japanese business leaders of a “competitive and corruption free business climate and a high-skilled and fast-learning workforce.”
“Given all these, your investments are assured of protections and gains, I guarantee that,” he told the business leaders.
This, according to the President, is supported by the highest credit rating that the Philippines has reached so far.
Towards the end of his speech, the President emphasized that his line will always be open to hear complaints in case the Japanese business community encounters corruption when they do business in the country.
“May I just assure you that during my time, I said there will be no corruption, and every Japanese investor in my country, however small or however big, I can assure you that if there’s any complaint regarding hindrances, obstruction, or outright corruption, let me know,” he said.
“I will talk to you. Let me know what your problem is and we will kill that problem. I place honor and my persona that what I guarantee here must be followed,” the President concluded.
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte said there are groups urging his daughter, Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, to run for president in 2022 but the Chief Executive expressed his opposition to the idea.
He stressed that the presidential seat is not for a woman to fill.
“My daughter inuudyok naman nila, sabi ko, ‘My daughter is not running,’” he said during the launch of the Metro Manila Skyway Stage 3 project in Quezon City on Thursday (January 14).
“I have told Inday not to run kasi naaawa ako sa dadaanan niya na dinaanan ko . Hindi ito pambabae. Alam mo, the emotional setup of a woman and a man is totally different. That is the sad story,” he said.
Rumors about the younger Duterte’s possible 2022 bid surfaced after a Pulse Asia survey conducted from November 23 to December 2, 2020 revealed that one in every four Filipinos expressed support for the presidential daughter’s bid for the presidency in the next election.
As for him, the Chief Executive said he will not accept any offer of term extension even if Congress moves to amend the Constitution for that matter.
On Wednesday (January 13) the House Committee on Constitutional Amendments began discussing the proposed change in the economic provisions of the 1987 Constitution.
Critics of the Duterte administration slammed such a move, claiming it is a front of Duterte allies to push for term extension and scrapping of term limits among politicians.
“Kaya nga hinihingi ko ang Congress, akala nila term extension ,” Duterte said.
“Maski ibigay mo sa akin on a silver platter, maski ibigay mo sa akin libre another 10 years, sabihin ko sa iyo, p***** i** mo, iyo na lang iyan. Tapos na ako,” the President said. MNP (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday (January 13) vouched for the efficacy of Sinovac, the COVID-19 vaccine developed in China.
He said the Chinese-made vaccine is “as good as any other” vaccines developed in the United States and Europe.
“Hindi nagkulang ang Chinese sa utak (The Chinese is not lacking in knowledge). They would not venture kung hindi sapat (if it’s not) safe, sure, and secure. Iyang tatlo. It must be safe, sure and secure. That is the guarantee,” the President said.
His remark comes after several local government units (LGUs) opted to choose and procure the brand of their choice other than the ones preferred by the national government.
“We are not forcing anybody to join the cause of the national government,” Duterte said.
“I am addressing this to the mayors. You can choose any vaccine you like to buy. Wala kaming pakialam kung ano ang pipiliin niyo (We don’t care which one you choose). Hindi kami makialam sa lahat ng bagay in the purchase (We won’t meddle in anything that has to do with the [vaccine] purchase),” he stressed.
But he reminded the local chief executives that it is still the national government that approves whatever medicine or drugs should be made available for public consumption.
The President maintained that he prefers whatever vaccine czar Secretary Carlito Galvez will procure, for after all, he is his representative and that his decision will be the President’s responsibility.
“Ang responsibility niya ay responsibility ko rin. Kung may bulilyaso at the end of the day, akin talaga yang responsibility (His responsibility is my responsibility. If there are problems along the way, at the end of the day, it is my responsibility),” the President stressed.
During the meeting, Galvez confirmed that the national government is set to grant the Chinese drugmaker Sinovac its emergency use authorization (EUA) for its vaccine before February 20.
The official added that initial delivery will be 50,000 doses, followed by 950,000 doses in March then to one to three million in increasing volumes in the succeeding months.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.