P300-M worth of smuggled rice seized in Bulacan warehouses
by UNTV News | Posted on Wednesday, September 12th, 2018
Image grabbed from Bureau of Customs Facebook
Several warehouses in Marilao Bulacan on Tuesday, September 11, were raided by Customs operatives and members of the Philippine National Police after authorities received reports that large quantities of smuggled rice are being kept inside.
An estimated 125,000 sacks of imported rice valued at P300 million were discovered inside seven warehouses located at Federal Corporation (FedCor) Compound in Barangay Ibayo, Bulacan.
Customs authorities are waiting for the parties responsible for the imported goods to present proof that payment for the duties and taxes of the smuggled rice has been made.
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Saturday, September 15th, 2018
BULACAN, Philippines – Several barangays in the town of San Miguel were affected by a sudden flash flood on the onset of Typhoon Ompong on Saturday, September 15.
According to Bulacan Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office, floodwater of up to six feet rushed into residential areas, particularly in Barangay Banga-Banga.
Authorities said they have rescued at least 10 families from the flash flood with the assistance of the San Miguel Disaster Office.
A platoon of scout rangers is also on standby to respond to rescue operations when necessary. The local government has also prepared food relief packs for residents affected by the calamity. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Gerry Galicia)
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Saturday, September 1st, 2018
BULACAN, Philippines – The Department of Agriculture (DA) and the National Food Authority (NFA) launched the first joint operation against rice hoarding by raiding a row of warehouses in Marilao, Bulacan Friday night (August 31).
The operation, spearheaded by Agriculture Secretary Manny Piñol and NFA Administrator Jason Aquino, discovered over 100,000 sacks of imported rice in one warehouse and about 50,000 sacks of rice in another.
According to Piñol, the owner of the rice storage incurred violations of NFA standards for warehouses.
“Here at Fedcor compound in Marilao, Bulacan it is apparent that three big warehouses, unmarked, would have an estimated 100,000 bags of rice, imported rice. This is already a violation because warehouses supervised by the NFA are supposed to have billboards announcing that these are NFA warehouses. The first warehouse that we opened contained rice about 50,000 bags,” he said during an operation exclusively covered by UNTV.
The Agriculture Secretary said the operation is part of the DA’s “Report a Hoarder” campaign, which he first announced earlier on Friday (August 31) which offers a cash reward of P250,000 for every report about hoarding activity that is verified and validated.
“We are expecting that we will be able to send the message across. This will be done nationwide. Now that DA and NFA have joined hands in implementing this campaign, we expect successes along the way,” he added.
Secretary Piñol said the campaign will be done nationwide in view of stabilizing the supply of rice in the market.
He warned traders and dealers to release their stocks and do away with hoarding as both agencies are determined to run after them.
“Better release your stocks now because the moment we inspect your warehouses and we see your stock, the government could confiscate your stocks and that could lead to a lot of penalties,” the Secretary warned. – Rey Pelayo / Marje Pelayo
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Monday, August 27th, 2018
CEBU, Philippines – The Bureau of Customs (BOC) continuously reminds importers to properly declare all shipments of goods to free them from charges and penalties.
“I advise these importers to declare their goods as it is. Do not misdeclare because we will always seize the goods, so sila ang kawawa,” explained Elmer Bailio, the Auction and Cargo Disposal Unit Chief of BOC-Cebu.
On Friday (August 24) the BOC conducted thermal destruction to around 5,000 seized apples and onions.
The agency said the products were no longer fit for consumption as they were in their decomposing state.
According to Bailio, the goods were left behind by the consignee thus they were considered abandoned. They were marked as apples but the boxes contained onions so the shipment was noted as misdeclared.
The shipment, which originated from China, had been in Cebu for four months already before the BOC decided on the condemnation. – Gladys Toabi / Marje Pelayo
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.