Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

PACC to conduct own probe on P6.8-billion shabu smuggling in BOC

by admin   |   Posted on Friday, 7 December 2018 09:37 AM

One of the four magnetic scrap lifters which reportedly concealed P6.8 billion worth of shabu

MANILA, Philippines — The Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) expressed dissatisfaction over the result of the inquiry conducted by the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee on the P6.8 billion shabu shipment in the Bureau of Customs (BOC).

Though the commission respects the Senate committee’s recommendations on the issue, PACC chairman Dante Jimenez said they will conduct their own investigation on the matter.

The PAAC will form a fact-finding committee to identify individuals responsible for the of smuggling of billions worth of illegal drugs into the country.

“Ang nakikita po namin dito kulang. Hindi kami nagmamarunong but we will exhaust all efforts, I will not allow this just like that na sarado na,” said Jimenez.

Aside from the BOC and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency, the PACC will also invite officials from the Philippine Coast Guard, Maritime Industry Authority, Philippine Ports Authority, as well as other government agencies.

The PAAC will also tap former BOC district collector Atty. Lourdes Mangaoang to help in the investigation.

Mangaoang has previously accused former Customs Commissioner Isidro Lapeña of having information about the smuggling of shabu shipment concealed in several magnetic lifters.

This is why the PACC is questioning the decision of the Blue Ribbon Committee to clear Lapeña of charges.

“Actually medyo hindi ako masyadong nagulat ng na-clear si Lapeña dahil may nababalitaan na ako noon pa na pinagyayabang sa part ng nga tao ni General Lapeña na allegedly ayos na raw na nakausap na — allegedly,” said the former district collector.

Senate Blue Ribbon Committee chairman Richard Gordon has yet to comment on the statement of the PACC. — Joan Nano | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: ,

BOC assures to restore majority of files destroyed by fire

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Saturday, 23 February 2019 03:47 PM

Bureau of Customs located at Port Area, Manila

(UPDATED) The Bureau of Customs (BOC) Port of Manila will temporarily transfer its operations to the Customs’ gymnasium in South Harbor, Manila after a huge fire razed its building on Friday night.

Customs District Collector Rhea Gregorio on Saturday said the operations of the Formal Entry Division of the Port of Manila (POM) will be moved to the BOC’s gymnasium to ensure that its services will not be disrupted.

The fire that started around 9 p.m. at BOC’s POM building on Friday destroyed the third and fourth floors of the building, according to Gregorio.

She added that officials are hoping that the fire incident would not lead to delays in the release of shipments.

The BOC-Manila is currently coordinating with Asian Terminals Inc., and other nearby government offices, particularly the Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA) and the Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) to temporarily use their facilities to continue their operations.

Gregorio also assured the public that while the hard copies of the documents have been destroyed by the fire, they would be able to restore majority of their records in time.

This is through their computerized system and the duplicate copies of some of the documents.

The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) said the blaze was put out at around 7 a.m. Saturday. Investigators are yet to provide details about the extent of the damage and the cause of fire. — Robie de Guzman

Tags: ,

Fire hits BOC building in Manila

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Saturday, 23 February 2019 10:34 AM

Fire hits the Bureau of Customs building in the Port of Manila | Photo credit: Philippine Red Cross

MANILA, Philippines — Flames engulfed the Bureau of Customs building at the Port of Manila on Friday night, February 22.

At least 30 firetrucks and several ambulances rushed to the site to battle the fire, according to BOC spokesperson, Erastus Austria.

“[We are] still determining [from] which office the fire originated,” Austria said in a series of messages sent to reporters.

“We are securing our personnel as of the moment,” he added.

The fire, which started around 9 p.m., reached fifth alarm past 10 p.m., according to the Bureau of Fire Protection Manila.

Thick smoke billowed and bright flames razed the top portion of the BOC building in Manila | Photo credit: Jirume Monta/BOC-PIO

Meanwhile, a lawmaker urged Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año to conduct an in-depth investigation into the incident.

Misamis Oriental Second district Representative Juliet Uy, said in a statement that Año should assign the best arson investigators on the case to thoroughly and scientifically investigate the cause of the fire.

“Given the notoriety of the Bureau of Customs for graft and corruption, it is understandable for the public to be skeptical about the cause of fire that has razed the offices of the Bureau of Customs at the Manila Bay Port Area,” the statement read.

“Their investigation must be meticulous, thorough and scientific,” she added.

Uy, a member of the House Committee on Public Order and Safety, also expressed hope that the fire will cause only minimal disruptions in BOC operations, especially at the Port Area which involves the business sector and the flow of goods in and out of the Manila harbor.

“Perhaps some of the operations can be transferred to the Manila International Container Port,”she suggested. “Maybe, if necessary, some shipments can be diverted to the Subic Bay or Batangas Port,” she concluded.

DILG Sec. Año has yet to issue any comment on the matter. — Robie de Guzman

Tags: ,

BOC hauls millions worth of fake branded goods, luxury car

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Friday, 1 February 2019 11:14 AM

Fake branded apparel valued at P700 million were seized by authorities from a warehouse in
Binondo, Manila.

MANILA, Philippines – Tight customs screening yielded millions of pesos worth of fake branded goods and a luxury car in two separate operations by the Bureau of Customs (BOC).

A shipment, which arrived in the country on December 17, 2018, was declared to contain a forklift, a diesel engine and various household goods.

But the x-ray machine revealed what’s truly inside the shipment — a luxury sports car and a truck.

It was shipped from Japan and consigned to Pulilan Motors Truck Rebuilding.

BOC Spokesperson Atty. Erastus Dino Austria said they might destroy or auction the seized vehicles depending on the directive of President Rodrigo Duterte.

“We can auction it and the proceeds will be in favor of the government,” Austria said.

The owner of the shipment and customs broker Tomas James delos Santos are now facing charges for violation of the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act.

Meanwhile, customs agents inspected two units inside a warehouse of clothes in Binondo, Manila.

Authorities discovered some fake or imitations of a signature clothing brand being manufactured in the area.

Authorities were able to raid the warehouse after a representative of the known sports brand tipped the information.

Around 2,5000 sacks of various fake branded apparel valued at P700 million were seized by authorities.

The BOC continues its investigation to arrest the person responsible for such illegal manufacture of goods in violation of Republic Act 8293 or the Intellectual Property Code of the Philippines.

“After ma-process ito ang ginagawa natin dito is destruction. Kasi nga hindi pwedeng auction, hindi rin pwedeng i-donate kasi considering na these are fake items,” explained Customs commissioner Guerrero.

“If these are allowed to end up in the hands of consumers, this will greatly affect ang mga brand owners,” he concluded. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from JL Asayo)

Tags: ,