PCG successfully conducts resupply mission on Pag-asa Island

admin   •   August 23, 2016   •   3205

IMAGE_AUG-23-2016_UNTV-NEWS_PCG_SUPPLY-MISSION

 

MANILA — For the first time since the dispute in the West Philippine Sea erupted between China and the Philippines, the Philippine Coastguard (PCG) has successfully conducted a supply mission to the Pag-asa Island last week.

BRP Batangas was able to deliver food, groceries, gasoline and other items for the soldiers stationed on the island and also for the people living in the area.

PCG spokesman Commander Armand Balilo says their personnel did not encounter any harassment or untoward incident in the course of the 3-day voyage to reach Pag-asa Island from Puerto Princesa in Palawan.

Pag-asa Island still has no port so a small boat fetched the supplies from BRP Batangas.

Civilians who also wished to visit their relatives were allowed to board the ship.

Coastguard has also added its personnel stationed in the island.

PCG is also assessing the possibility of conducting regular resupply mission in the island.

“Sa tingin ko naman hindi naman tayo gagalawin doon sapagkat puti yung barko natin,” Cdr. Balilo said.

(I think we will not be harassed there because these are white ships)

“Di kasi namin magawa noon sapagkat may utos ang pamahalaan na we should not do anything to jeopardize ang posisyon natin doon sa International Tribunal on the Law of the Sea. So, di tayo gumagalaw doon sapagkat walang blessing ng pamahalaan,” Balilo added.

(We were not able to do it in the past because there was a directive from government that we should not do anything that will jeopardize our position in the International Tribunal on the Law of the Sea. So, we did not sail there because there was no permission from the government)

The Philippine Coastguard says the mission will not solely be meant to bring goods but also to patrol our territorial waters in the West Philippine Sea.

“Maganda para sa atin kasi we could continue to patrol the area and we could say na mayroon tayong presence lalo na doon sa  Pag-asa. In fact, maganda rin kasi makikita ng mga tao roon na mayroong government vessel on their side.”

(It is good for us because we could continue to patrol the area and we could say that we have presence in the pag-asa island. in fact the people would also sea the presence of a government vessel that is on their side.)

In the past, there were instances that Chinese coastguard and civilian vessels were reportedly seen near the Pag-asa Island. — Victor Cosare | UNTV News & Rescue

China sends 20,000 relief packs to Odette-hit areas

Robie de Guzman   •   December 21, 2021

The government of China is sending food packages for those affected by Typhoon Odette in Visayas and Mindanao areas, its Embassy in Manila said Tuesday.

In a statement, the Chinese Embassy said relief packages worth P8 million pesos are on its way to areas devastated by the typhoon.

These areas include Cebu, Leyte, Negros Occidental, Bohol, Cagayan de Oro City, Surigao City, and Negros Oriental.

Each package contains five kilograms of rice, 10 canned food and 10 noodles pack, it added.

“Our hearts go out to all the Filipino families who were devastated by Typhoon Odette which has caused massive casualties as well as property loss,” the statement read.

“China will do its utmost to continue its firm support to the disaster relief efforts of the Philippine government and the Filipino people. We wish all those affected could overcome the difficulties and rebuild their homes at an early date.” It added.

In addition to food packages, China also sent 4.725 million kilograms of rice to typhoon-hit areas.

The embassy said about 1.5 million kilograms were allocated for Cebu, while the 3.225 million kilograms in Manila will be transported to other areas.

“We thank the Philippine government, in particular the Department of Social Welfare and Development for their great efforts in urgently distributing these rice to those Filipino families in need,” it said.

Typhoon Odette left many casualties and a trail of destruction when it battered many parts of the Visayas and Mindanao last week.

Local authorities fear the death toll could still go up in the coming days as verification process continues.

Prexy bets make usual rounds, use social media for day’s activities

Maris Federez   •   November 26, 2021

 

MANILA, Philippines — Three presidential candidates for the 2022 national and local elections made the rounds across the country on Friday, while the rest took to social media to lay down their election promises.

Former Senator Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos, Jr. made another visit to the vote-rich province, Cebu.

Here, members of the Businessmen ng Bayan Movement of the Philippines (BBMP) signified their support to his presidential run.

The group is composed of small-scale businessmen in Cebu.

Labor leader Leody de Guzman, meanwhile, went to Marikina City.

Here, joined the protest action of workers in a company that is based in the city.

Manila Mayor Francisco ‘Isko Moreno’ Domagoso, on the other hand, did not have any out-of-town engagement and just stayed at the City Hall to personally receive the 6,600 pieces of Bariticitinib anti-COVID-19 tablets.

While other presidential bets did not have any public engagements Friday, they took to social media to post their activities for the day.

In his Facebook post, Senator Manny Pacquiao showed the possible housing projects he will implement should he become the president.

Such housing projects will be like that of free housing he did for the people of General Santos City and Saranggani province.

Meanwhile, Senator Panfilo Lacson’s FB post said that providing sufficient funds for free public WIFI will remain in his platform of government should he become president.

He assured the people that he has enough experience in crafting and proper allocation of the national budget.

Vice President Leni Robredo, on the other hand, focused her FB post on the issue in the West Philippine Sea.

Robredo insists that the issue is not just about the fishing sector but about all Filipinos. —/mbmf (from the report of UNTV Correspondent Nel Maribojoc)

PH Defense chief says China trespassing in Ayungin Shoal

Robie de Guzman   •   November 25, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Department of National Defense (DND) Secretary Delfin Lorenzana on Thursday reiterated that the Philippines has sovereign rights over Ayungin Shoal (also called Second Thomas Shoal) following China’s call for the country to remove its grounded vessel in the area.

“Ayungin lies inside our EEZ (exclusive economic zone) which we have sovereign rights. Our EEZ was awarded to us by the 1982 UNCLOS, which China ratified,“ Lorenzana told reporters.

“China should abide by its international obligations that it is part of,” he added.

The Defense chief issued the statement in response to the remark of China’s Foreign Ministry, through its spokesperson Zhao Lijian, demanding the Philippines to remove the BRP Sierra Madre from the shoal.

BRP Sierra Madre is an old Philippine Navy ship that was ran aground there to assert Manila’s claim over the area. It has been serving as the outpost of a small Philippine military contingent since 1999.

In a press conference in Beijing, Zhao claimed anew that Ayungin Shoal (known in China as Ren’ai Jiao) is part of Nansha Qundao, which is the Chinese name for the Spratly Islands also being claimed in part by the Philippines.

But Lorenzana maintained that Ayungin Shoal is within the Philippines EEZ as it is located about 105 nautical miles west of Palawan.

Aside from UNCLOS, the Defense chief also noted that the Permanent Court of Arbitration, in its 2016 ruling on a case lodged by the Philippines, stated that China’s territorial claim over the West Philippine Sea has neither historic nor legal basis.

“Ergo, we can do whatever we want there and it is they who are actually trespassing,” he said.

“Meron tayong dalawang documento na nagpapatunay na meron tayong sovereign rights sa ating EEZ habang sila ay wala at yung claim nila walang basehan, “ he added.

Lorenzana also said that as far as he knows, there is no commitment made by Philippine authorities to remove BRP Sierra Madre from the Ayungin Shoal.

“As far as I know there is no such commitment. That ship has been there since 1999. If there was commitment it would have been removed long time ago,” he said.

China’s demand for the removal of BRP Sierra Madre from Ayungin Shoal came after Philippine military boats completed their resupply mission on Thursday.

The boats were deployed there a week after Chinese coast guard vessels blocked and harassed the first Filipino mission that were sent to the area.

The incident prompted President Rodrigo Duterte to call out China’s action at the contested waters during the ASEAN-China special summit on November 22. (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.