PDEA to charge former Customs official over importation of illegal drugs

UNTV News   •   September 6, 2017   •   5857

IMAGE_UNTV_NEWS_090517_PDEA

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) will file charges against former and incumbent officials of the Bureau of Customs (BOC) for allegedly violating Section 4 of the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.

The charges, PDEA said, stemmed from the illegal importation of more than 600-kilograms of shabu which BOC failed to intercept.

On the program ‘Get it Straight with Daniel Razon’, NCR PDEA Director Wilkins Villanueva said they will file charges against the personalities involved in the entry of illegal drugs.

These include former Customs Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon and former Intelligence and Investigation Service Director Neil Anthony Estrella.

“The moment, they were able to open a crate of drugs, they should have stopped and called the PDEA because it’s illegal drugs. They no longer have to validate the other contents of the crate because they already have seen illegal drugs,” Villanueva said.

Former Intelligence and Investigation Service Director Neil Anthony Estrella, on the other hand, said he is ready to face the charges to be filed against him.

Estrella stands firm that he has no involvement in illegal drug trade, and wonders why a partner agency against illegal drugs are targeting them instead of going after those responsible for bringing illegal drugs in the country.

Former Customs Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon has yet to respond to the filing of charges against him.

Meanwhile, the amount of 600-kilograms of shabu intercepted in Valenzuela is not more than P6-billion.

Villanueva said the illegal drugs were only worth P3.05-billion based on their computation of P5-million per kilogram.

The NCR PDEA Director claims the BOC has just jacked up the amount.

Villanueva further notes that the percentage of those who stopped using illegal drugs has not even reached one percent of the more than one million individuals who surrendered under the anti-drugs campaign of the government.

He said the facilities built to rehabilitate those who surrendered are not effective.

Villanueva said PDEA was also able to observe that there had been no changes in the prices of illegal drugs.

This means, Villanueva notes, many are using illicit drugs despite the continuous operations against it.

“Kasi pag kumonti ang gagamit bababa ang presyo, kasi kakaunti ang gagamit magiging ordinary na eh pero habang dumadami ang gagamit tataas ng tataas yan high ang demand eh,” Villanueva said.

Villanueva also explained that the previous administration did not prioritize the country’s problem on illegal drugs.

“When did the previous administration mentioned illegal drugs in their SONA? As far as I can remember, former Pres. Gloria Arroyo mentioned it sometime in 2003 to have the campaign against illegal drugs reach the barangay level. That’s only once before President Duterte. Imagine for so many years, the problem on illegal drugs was no mentioned in SONA,” Villanueva added.

Among PDEA’ suggestions are for the government to also focus on making effective its rehabilitation of surrenderees under the Anti-Illegal Drugs Campaign. The agency said campaign would become successful if those who surrendered will be fully rehabilitated. – Mon Jocson | UNTV News and Rescue

PDEA chief clears former presidential adviser Michael Yang of drug links

UNTV News   •   September 14, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) director Wilkins Villanueva has cleared former presidential economic adviser Michael Yang of any links to the narcotics trade in the country.

Yang is among the personalities being investigated by the Senate for his alleged connection with Pharmally Corporation, a firm from which the government procured the alleged “overpriced” medical goods.

During a pre-recorded meeting with President Rodrigo Duterte aired on Tuesday (September 14), Villanueva belied the allegations of dismissed police officer Eduardo Acierto that Yang has links to the drug trade in Davao City saying such claims are baseless.

“Ano ang allegation ni Police Superintendent Acierto na si Michael Yang is involved sa clandestine laboratory ng Davao City? Nothing in all of those case operation plans [show] that Michael Yang came up doon sa part of the personalities,” he said.

“Kahit hagilapin mo sa lahat iyan, sir, walang Michael Yang dyan,” the PDEA chief told Duterte.

The president himself also defended Yang saying the Senate shouldn’t listen to Acierto — a dismissed officer that Duterte claims had been involved in so many cases.

“Ito namang Senate… if it’s drugs, let it come from the mouth of the PDEA,” said Duterte.

Acierto, who was the former officer-in-charge of the now defunct Philippine National Police Anti-Illegal Drugs Group (PNP-AIDG), claimed that Yang was among the persons behind the large shabu laboratory discovered in Davao City in 2004.

PNP, PDEA nab 3 suspects, seize 80 kilos of shabu in Bataan ops

Robie de Guzman   •   September 8, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — At least 80 kilograms of shabu with a street value estimated at P544 million were seized and three foreign drug suspects were arrested during an operation in Bataan province, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said Wednesday.

The PNP identified the suspects as Qing Chang Zhou alias Ricky Chou, 37; Cai Cai Bin alias James/Joseph Chua, 49; and Longcai Chang, 45.

All of them are natives of Fujian, China, and are residents of Binondo, Manila, it added.

Aside from shabu, authorities also confiscated two vehicles, one android phone and one analog phone from the suspects.

PNP chief Police General Guillermo Eleazar said the operation conducted in Hermosa, Bataan around 4 p.m. on Tuesday was part of the pursuit operation led by the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) in Candelaria, Zambales where some 500 kilograms of shabu were also confiscated.

“This was part of the pursuit operations that were immediately launched after the Zambales operation. There were some personalities who were monitored to be leaving in that area in Candelaria so our personnel and these people are among them,” the PNP chief said in a statement.

The Zambales operation resulted in the deaths of drug suspects identified as Gao Manzhu, 49; Hong Jianshe, 58; Eddie Tan, 60 who were all from Fujian, China; and, Xu Youha, 50, from Quezon City.

Xu alias Taba was reportedly the main contact of an international drugs syndicate. He was last monitored to have contacted a member of the international syndicate abroad and this resulted in the buy-bust in Zambales.

“They are known distributors of illegal drugs in Luzon, particularly in Metro Manila, Central Luzon, and Region 4,” Eleazar said.

The Zambales and Bataan operations resulted in the seizure of around 580 kilos of shabu with an estimated value of P3.944 billion, the biggest drug haul this year so far, he added.

Follow-up operations are still being conducted against all the other personalities with links to Xu, the PNP said.

4 kilograms of shark teeth seized in Mactan, Cebu

Marje Pelayo   •   September 6, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Bureau of Customs (BOC) reported the seizure of a parcel containing 4.98 kilograms of extracted shark teeth misdeclared as plastic components for fashion accessories.

The shipment, which was seized in BOC Cebu-Subport of Mactan on Tuesday (August 31), was discovered through x-ray imaging which prompted the X-Ray inspection project team (XIP) to mark it for further verification.

Accordingly, BOC authorities conducted a physical examination on the parcel together with representatives from the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) and DHL Express Cebu.

The BFAR representative confirmed the contents of the parcel to be shark teeth and not plastic components as declared and records show the shipment had no import permit issued by BFAR.

Acting District Collector Charlito Martin Mendoza immediately issued a warrant of seizure and detention against the shipment.

The seized articles will be disposed of in accordance with existing customs laws and regulations after undergoing seizure and forfeiture proceedings.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.