Penalty against Facebook, urged in Senate over fake news

admin   •   January 20, 2017   •   3158

PASAY CITY, Philippines — Senator Francis Pangilinan has filed a resolution that seeks to penalize social media platforms like Facebook.

Senate Resolution 271 aims to address the social media companies’ inaction to address the proliferation of fake news online that influence public opinion on social issues.

The senator says the public is having difficulty in distinguishing verified information from politicized ones.

In line with this, Pangilinan urges the Senate to conduct an inquiry in aid of legislation in order to protect national discourse from false information and fake news. – UNTV News and Rescue

Malakanyang, nanawagang tigilan ang pagpapakalat ng fake news ukol sa martial law

Robie de Guzman   •   January 7, 2022

MANILA, Philippines – Nanawagan ang Malakanyang na tigilan na ang pagpapakalat ng fake news sa gitna ng pandemya.

Kasunod ito ng pagkalat sa social media ng isang audio recording hinggil sa umano’y planong pagdedeklara ng martial law o kaya ay total lockdown ni Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte upang masugpo ang muli na namang pagtaas ng kaso ng COVID-19 sa bansa.

Ayon kay acting Presidential Spokesperson at Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles, nagdudulot lamang ito ng balisa at pangamba sa mga tao na hindi aniya nakakatulong sa gitna ng sitwasyon.

“Sa mga walang magawa na gumagawa at nagpapakalat nito, tigilan nyo na po ito please hindi ito biro, we are dealing with the real threat that understandably concerns our people,” ani Nograles.

Sa audio recording na unang kumalat sa social media noong Lunes, sinasabing wala na raw papayagang lumabas kapag nagdeklara ng total lockdown kaya dapat ay mag-stock ng pagkaing sasapat sa loob ng isang buwan.

Ayon sa Palasyo, fake news ito at pinayuhan ang publiko na kumuha ng tamang impormasyon mula sa mga mapagkakatiwalaang sources gaya ang opisyal na anunsyo mula sa pamahalaan.

“Fake news po ito. Huwag po tayong magpapaniwala sa ganitong uri ng balita, please get your news and information from credible sources only, kaya naman po binabalita agad natin ang mga bagong hakbang laban sa COVID para alam kaagad ito ng taumbayan,” ani Nograles.

Una nang itinanggi ni Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana ang kumalat na impormasyon hinggil sa martial law.

Giit ng opisyal, walang mabigat na dahilan para gawin ito sa ngayon ng pamahalaan sa kabila ng muling paglobo ng COVID-19 cases sa bansa.

Defense chief on martial law rumors amid rising COVID-19 cases: Fake news

Robie de Guzman   •   January 7, 2022

MANILA, Philippines – Department of National Defense (DND) chief Delfin Lorenzana has denied rumors circulating on social media that the government will declare martial law or a total lockdown to address the rapidly growing new COVID-19 cases.

In a statement, Lorenzana said there is no compelling reason for President Rodrigo Duterte to declare martial law.

“Not true. Fake news. Definitely out of the picture. There is no compelling reason to declare martial law,” he said.

Rumors that Duterte will impose a total lockdown, barring everyone from going out of their homes to address the coronavirus surge have circulated on social media at the start of the week.

This week, the Philippines saw a rapid increase in the number of new infections, with 17,220 additional cases recorded on Thursday.

The sharp increase in the country’s COVID cases is believed to be caused by the local transmission of Omicron and Delta variants.

But Lorenzana pointed out that the latest tally is lower than the over 26,000 recorded in 2021.

He added that while highly transmissible, the Omicron variant is seen to be less aggressive than the Delta variant.

“The highest we had was 26,000+ last year. Today we have 17,220. This variant while more transmissible is less virulent than delta. Less people get seriously sick,” he said.

Due to rising cases, Metro Manila, Rizal, Cavite, Laguna, and 14 other areas in the country have been placed under COVID-19 Alert Level 3.

President Rodrigo Duterte have also directed local officials to restrict the movement of unvaccinated persons in a bid to protect them from contracting the virus.

Lorenzana, who also chairs the National Task Force against COVID-19, said the Inter-Agency Task Force is still evaluating on the possibility of implementing stricter measures to combat the COVID-19 surge. (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)

Facebook, Whatsapp and Instagram back online after outage

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 5, 2021

Social media giant Facebook has apologized for the outage users experienced on Monday night (October 4).

Social media services Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram are back online after a global outage that lasted for hours. Users reported not being able to access the said social media apps.

Facebook’s chief technology officer Mike Schroepfer announced that Facebook and other social media services are back online but it is still not at 100%. He also apologized for the inconvenience caused by the outage.

“Facebook services coming back online now – may take some time to get to 100%. To every small and large business, family, and individual who depends on us, I’m sorry,” he said in his Twitter account.

Schroepfer reported that Facebook experienced networking issues. AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.