Former President Ferdinand Marcos’ interment at Libingan ng mga Bayani. (Photo courtesy: Imee Marcos)
Petitioners in Ferdinand Marcos’ burial cases will file a motion on Monday to ask the Supreme Court to cite the Marcoses in contempt for the surreptitious burial of Marcos’ remains at the Libingan ng mga Bayani.
Bayan Muna Partylist Congressman Carlos Zarate explained the decision allowing Marcos’ burial is not yet final and they still have 15 days to appeal.
Sa tingin namin highly contemptuous. Hindi lang contemptuous sa korte, contempt din ito sa mamamayang Pilipino dahil walang pagrespeto talaga (…) Sa kahuli-hulihang sandali, ninakaw pa rin nila ang karapatan, halimbawa, ng mga petitioner sa Korte Suprema na maghain ng isang motion for reconsideration,” Zarate said.
(We believe it was highly contemptuous, not only for the court but for the Filipino people because it was utter disrespect (…) Until the very last, they have stolen the rights of the petitioners before the Supreme Court to file a motion for reconsideration.)
The status quo ante order prohibiting Marcos burial was already lifted by the court when it promulgated the November 8 decision.
Last week, some of the petitioners filed a motion to defer the burial pending the court’s resolution on their motion for reconsideration.
“Well, hanggang sa huli, talagang lahat ay dinadaan sa panakaw (…) Mukhang ang gusto nila ay talagang iiwas ang paglilibing doon sa lumalaking protesta ng mamamayan. Umaasa sila na kapag patago ang paglilibing ay di makakapag-protesta sa LNMB,” said Bagong Alyansang Makabayan Secretary General Renato Reyes.
(Well, until the very end, everything was done surreptitiously. It seems they want to preempt the growing protest of the people. They are hoping that if the burial is done discreetly, no one will be able to protest at the Libingan ng mga Bayani.)
Aside from the respondents, petitioners also claim President Rodrigo Duterte should be held liable because he allowed it.
“Desisyon po ito ni President Duterte at ng Marcos family. This is a campaign promise, sabi niya, campaign promise po ito at napagtataka nga paano po nangyari ito sa ating bansa. Ako po, I’m sure marami po sa atin somewhere between disbelief, anger, inis ang nararamdaman po ngayon,” said Sen. Bam Aquino.
(This is the decision of President Duterte and the Marcos family. I am wondering how this could happen to our country. I’m sure many of us are somewhere between disbelief, anger.)
Despite Friday’s victory for the Marcoses, the fight is still on for some who even hinted at exhuming the remains of the late president.
“Maaaring nakalibing siya ngayon doon pero hindi sila nakatitiyak na mananatili siyang nakalibing doon dahil kikilos tayo hanggang sa abot ng ating makakaya na iwasto itong hindi tamang pangyayari. We will tirelessly work to reverse and to undo this burial in the Libingan,” Liberal Party designated president Sen. Kiko Pangilinan said.
(He might be buried there for now but they cannot be so sure that he will remain there because we will do everything we could to correct this wrong. We will tirelessly work to reverse and to undo this burial in the Libingan.)
They said that more than the burial issue, Filipinos should be wary of the motive why the Marcoses have been insisting on a hero’s burial for the late president.
“Isa itong hakbang para linisin ang kanilang record at para palabasin na napakaganda ng martial law at ng pamumuno ng mga Marcos para makabalik si Bongbong sa Malacañang sa 2022. Yan ang ultimate goal,” Reyes said.
(This is step towards clearing their record and to make it appear that martial law and Marcos dictatorship was excellent to make way for Bongbong’s return to Malacañang in 2022. That’s the ultimate goal.) — Roderic Mendoza | UNTV News & Rescue