PH Customs fast-tracks release of face mask shipments amid COVID-19 threat

Robie de Guzman   •   February 14, 2020   •   943

MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Customs (BOC) on Friday said it has expedited the processing of shipments containing face masks amid increasing demand for surgical masks and other personal protective gear in view of the continuing threat of the novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

In a statement, the BOC said that since the discovery of the COVID-19, the bureau has been rushing the release of shipments of face masks in a bid to help secure the public from the deadly coronavirus strain.

Data from the bureau showed that 210 cartons, 10 boxes, 5 packages, and 115 pieces of face/surgical masks were released from January to February 2020.

In Port of Davao, there were 210 cartons and 5 packages of face/surgical masks released in January 2020.

“Another 10 boxes and 115 pieces of face/surgical masks were also released on February 12, 2020 from the Port of NAIA,” the BOC said.

“The improved processing of importations of face masks is part of the Bureau’s commitment to serve public interest and provide them with immediate assistance and support as it continues to perform its mandate of facilitating trade, strengthening border protection and collecting revenues,” it added.

PNP to implement 50-50 work scheme due to COVID-19

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 6, 2020

The Philippine National Police (PNP) will implement a 50-50 work scheme among personnel who are based at the national headquarters in Camp Crame.

This is due to the rising number of PNP personnel who have become patients under investigation (PUI) and persons under monitoring (PUM) of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) threat.

The 50-50 work scheme would use 50 percent or the first batch of personnel to go on duty at the administrative office until April 19 while the second batch will go on duty from April 20 to May 3.

According to a memorandum issued on April 4, the heads of offices/units with essential functions shall determine the work scheme applicable to the personnel, as long as they should observe a 14-day self-quarantine/isolation as part of the PNP’s health protocol.

“Maaaring magpatupad sila ng kani-kanilang scheduling para hindi naman maapektuhan ang ating normal functions,” said PNP Spokesperson Bernard Banac.

Meanwhile, police personnel who are aged 45 years old and above will have to be pulled out from the checkpoint areas.

“Mas vulnerable sila sa COVID-19 (They are more vulnerable to COVID-19),” Banac said.

The PNP will also launch Admin Support to COVID-19 Task Force (ASCoTF) to ensure an organized and speedy logistics, response, and development of frontliners.

The PNP has already recorded 19 police personnel that tested positive for COVID-19 with two deaths.

The total number of persons under monitoring (PUMs) in the PNP has already reached more than 1,300. — AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

TAGS   ,

UK PM Johnson admitted to hospital as Britain enters third week of lockdown

UNTV News   •   April 6, 2020

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was in hospital in London on Monday (April 6) suffering persistent coronavirus symptoms 10 days after testing positive for the virus, but Downing Street said he remained in charge of the government.

Johnson, 55, had been isolating in Downing Street after testing positive for the virus last month, was taken to hospital on Sunday night because he still had a high temperature and his doctors felt he needed additional tests.

Meanwhile, Britain entered its third week in lockdown with authorities warning they will have to impose further restrictions on outdoor exercise if people continued to flout rules designed to curb transmission of the virus.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said it was “unbelievable” to see a small minority flouting the government’s advice to maintain social-distancing.

Hancock said if people did not follow the rules, which allow people to walk, run or cycle outdoors once a day but not sunbathe, he would have to ban exercise of all forms outside the home.

He said the timetable to ease restrictions – the lockdown exit strategy – could only be agreed once the spread of the coronavirus had been brought under control.

Other European countries such as Italy and France have imposed tougher restrictions on people leaving their homes. (REUTERS CONNECT)

(Production: Gerhard Mey, Ben Makori.)

Frontline health workers to receive Special Risk Allowance

Marje Pelayo   •   April 6, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Frontline health workers will now receive an extra financial aid from the government as additional compensation for their service in the fight against coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

President Rodrigo Duterte, through Administrative Order Number 28, directed all government agencies, government-owned or controlled corporations and the local government units (LGUs) to provide public health workers with one-time COVID-19 Special Risk Allowance equivalent to 25% of their basic salary.

Those qualified for the said benefit include public health workers who are in active service under the enhanced community quarantine – regular, contractual, casual or part-time health workers; those under contract of service or job order arrangement like barangay health workers who are assigned in hospitals and other healthcare facilities.

The one-time special risk allowance will be prorated based on the number of days a health worker has served starting March 17, 2020. MNP (with details from Rosalie Coz)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.