PNP-AIDG, other anti-illegal drugs units now disbanded
admin • January 31, 2017 • 4152
FILE PHOTO: Policemen in formation
QUEZON CITY, Philippines — “I am already tired, I am very much ashamed, I am very much embarrassed, I am very much disappointed, I am run out of reason for my continued stay as your chief PNP.”
PNP Chief Ronald Dela Rosa has submitted anew his resignation letter to President Rodrigo Duterte to, in his own words, save the image of the country’s police force.
But instead of accepting his resignation, the President ordered the disbandment of all anti-illegal drug units of the PNP from station level to the anti-illegal drugs group that focuses on high-value illegal drug personality targets, mainly because of involvement of some of its members in illegal activities particularly in the kidnap-slay case of Korean businessman Jee Ick Joo.
“We cannot operate anymore on anti-drugs. No more drug anti-drug operation, we have to focus on internal cleansing…That is why starting today, I have dissolve the anti-illegal drugs group, all anti-illegal drug unit from the national to the station level,” said PNP Chief PDG Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa.
Among the achievements of the AIDG were the operation in Claveria, Cagayan, floating shabu lab in Subic, the arrest of illegal drug supplier to showbiz personalities and the arrest of Kerwin Espinosa.
AIDG Director PSSupt. Albert Ferro said he respects the decision and directive of the President and the PNP Chief.
“This is the order of our Commander-in-Chief and we will support the CPNP… Everything is possible, the President knows how to handle this so we will follow him,” said AIDG Director PSSupt. Albert Ferro.
Ferro said they are now conducting an inventory of all their equipment as well as cases they are handling.
He added that they are also now preparing for the filing of an urgent motion for the issuance of a commitment order for the seven detainees currently under their custody.
He also said that General Bato’s only regret on suspending the Oplan Double Barrel and Project Tokhang is being able to add up to the 70% success that they have already achieved in their fight against illegal drugs through these projects.
Dela Rosa, however, noted that it’s more important now to cleanse their ranks.
The general further said that although he’s leaving all the police force’s operation against illegal drug up to PDEA, PNP’s fight against criminality continues.
The 350 remaining personnel of the disbanded AIDG who have clean records were already being accounted for by the directorate for personnel records and management.
They were also told to signify to what police unit they intend to be transferred to. — LEA YLAGAN / UNTV News & Rescue
MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang on Thursday maintained that the Philippine government will not cooperate with the International Criminal Court (ICC) investigation into the Duterte administration’s anti-drug campaign.
Chief presidential legal counsel Salvador Panelo said the ICC has no jurisdiction over the Philippines and its decision to authorize an investigation into the killings under the government’s war on drugs is interference into the country’s domestic affairs.
He also stressed that the country has already withdrawn from the Rome Statute – the treaty that established the ICC.
In March 2019, the Philippines effectively withdrew from the Rome Statute after Duterte cancelled the country’s membership of the ICC’s founding treaty.
Under the ICC’s withdrawal mechanism, the court retains jurisdiction over crimes committed during the membership period of a state.
The ICC on Wednesday said that its Pre-Trial Chamber 1 has granted then Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda’s request to formally conduct a full investigation into the Philippines’ drug war.
Bensouda previously argued that there is a reasonable basis to believe that murder has been committed in the Philippines between July 1, 2016 and March 16, 2019 in the context of the state policy.
But Panelo said the ICC can only conduct an investigation if the state’s judicial system is no longer functional, which is not the case in the Philippines.
It must also be proven that the state is unwilling to prosecute suspects in order for the ICC to launch a probe.
Panelo said ICC probers will not be allowed to enter the Philippines. He also believes that the investigation was politically motivated.
MANILA, Philippines — Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte has called on the public to support President Rodrigo Duterte’s vice presidential bid in the upcoming 2022 elections.
The presidential daughter made the call as she reiterated her earlier stand that she will not run for president after her father formally accepted the nomination as the vice presidential bet of the ruling party, PDP-Laban.
“Mayroong kaming maayos na kasunduan ni Pangulong Duterte sa aming kani-kaniyang karera sa pulitika. Ibigay po natin sa kanya ang pinakamalakas natin na suporta sa kanyang desisyon na tumakbong vice president,” she said in a video message posted on her official social media account.
Mayor Sara earlier said she will not seek a national position in next year’s polls, adding that her father’s political plans will not affect her own.
Sara Duterte has consistently topped presidential election surveys.
Several political parties have also declared their support for the mayor should she decide to join the presidential race.
Mayor Sara thanked those who have expressed their support and trust in her capability as a leader.
“Pinapaabot ko ang aking taos pusong pasasalamat sa mahigit kumulang 700 parallel groups na nag-oorganisa para ako ay tumakbong pangulo. Ito ay isang karangalan na hindi nabibili at hindi ibinibigay sa lahat ng pulitiko… Sana ay ituloy natin ang pagtulong sa ating mga kababayan, kahit hindi para sa kandidatura o sa eleksyon,” she said.
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday ordered Cabinet members to seek his clearance first before attending Senate inquiries.
“I will require that the Cabinet members invited to your [Senate] hearings that he will clear the invitation with me,” Duterte said in a taped public address that was aired on Tuesday.
The president issued the statement as he once again criticized the Senate for holding investigations into the government’s pandemic response for the alleged anomalous transactions and purchase of pandemic supplies.
Duterte said he is not questioning Senate’s authority to conduct investigations in aid of legislation. However, he noted that some officials invited as resource persons, especially those coming from the Executive department, have attended the hearings for hours but are not given the time to say their testimonies.
He also acknowledged the upper chamber’s power to cite a person in contempt but stressed that as the president, he can also exercise his authority over his Cabinet members.
“May option kayo to cite the person in contempt. Ako na magsabi. Ako ang may utos na hindi mag-attend,” he said.
“I think I can do it as a president really if there is an abuse of authority there or exceeding the authority of the reasonable time that the Congress conducts hearing I will limit what you can do with the Rxecutive department of the government,” he added.
He also accused lawmakers of “stretching” the hearings as part of their strategies come 2022 elections.
“Tingnan ko kung pabalik-balik na lang with no other purpose except to ramble, to stretch the hearing because that is good for election until may be the election itself. Okay man yan because you are entitled to your own strategy,” he said.
Duterte likewise said he will campaign against Senator Richard Gordon for being an “unfit” lawmaker.
Gordon is the chairman of Senate Blue Ribbon Committee that is holding a probe into the government’s COVID-19 response.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.