PNP chief orders internal probe on Sinas’ alleged birthday party

Robie de Guzman   •   May 13, 2020   •   398

MANILA, Philippines – Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Police General Archie Gamboa on Wednesday said he has ordered the Internal Affairs Service (IAS) to conduct an investigation into the alleged birthday party of National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) director Major General Debold Sinas.

In a statement, Gamboa said the probe will cover the circumstances surrounding the  alleged violation of quarantine protocols during the surprise birthday celebration held for Sinas.

He said the chief of the IAS has been instructed to send a team to the NCRPO to initiate a formal inquiry into the incident.

“The PNP is not exempt from strict rules on mass gathering, and I am directing all unit commanders to prohibit any and all social gatherings,” Gamboa said.

In a message sent to UNTV, Sinas denied he held a party for his birthday.

“Wala po ako birthday party at wala dito mass gathering,” his message read.

He also clarified that the photos earlier posted on social media showing him receiving roses, cake and sharing a meal with his colleagues was a surprise mañanita organized by his personnel.

He stressed that the event followed health protocols after it drew flak as social distancing was allegedly not observed during the mañanita.

“Iyong dumalaw na nagmañanita sa akin ay kaunti lang na nag social distancing pa sila, and packed meals po ibinigay ko sa kanila,” he said.

The NCRPO chief added that he opted to distribute food packs and lechon he received as gifts to regional mobile force battalion (RMFB) stationed in every district so they won’t have to visit him at his police quarters.

“Marami ako ibinigay na packed meals sa mga kasama namin dito sa Camp Bicutan para hindi na pumunta sa quarters ko. Iyong mga lechon na pagkain na ibinigay sa akin ay binigay ko rin sa bawat districts ng RMFBs para hindi na sila magpunta and stand by sa Camp Bicutan,” he said.

Gamboa earlier defended Sinas, saying he does not see any violation that the NCRPO chief committed.

He also shared that Sinas had assured him that physical distancing was observed but he will look into any violation related to the event.

I will look into it. I still trust pa rin naman Gen. Sinas. Alam naman natin napakahirap no’ng trabaho niya sa NCRPO but nevertheless it is not an excuse for him not to follow simple health protocols,” he said.

Interior and Local Government Secretary, meanwhile, said that as a police official, Sinas should serve as an example in following health protocols amid the COVID-19 crisis.

“Ito yung tinatawag nating delicadeza. May pagkakataon na kailangan maging example ka,” he said.RRD (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)

Cops infected with COVID-19 now over 1,000 – PNP

Robie de Guzman   •   July 10, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The number of police officers who have tested positive for novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) has climbed to 1,006, figures from the Philippine National Police (PNP) showed.

The PNP Health Service said 25 additional infections have been reported but there were no new deaths so the total fatalities remains at nine.

A total of 455 cops have recovered from the viral respiratory disease.

The PNP Health Service said it is also monitoring 651 probable cases and 1,252 suspected cases of COVID-19.

The Philippines has so far recorded a total of 51,745 COVID-19 infections, with 12,813 recovered patients and 1,314 fatalities. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)

9 cops probed for Jolo shooting under restrictive custody in Camp Crame

Aileen Cerrudo   •   July 8, 2020

Nine policemen tagged in the shooting of four soldiers in Jolo, Sulu on June 29 are now under restrictive custody at Camp Crame, according to the Philippine National Police (PNP).

The PNP identified the policemen as Police Senior Master Sergeant Abdelzhimar Padjiri; Police Master Sergeant Hanie Baddiri; Police Staff Sergeant Iskandar  Susulan;  Police Staff Sergeant Ernisar Sappal; Police Corporal Sulki Andaki; Patrolman Moh. Nur  Pasani; Police Staff Sergeant Almudzrin  Hadjaruddin; Patrolman Alkajal  Mandangan and Patrolman Rajiv Putalan.

The policemen were transferred to Camp Crame after the second test result for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) of one of the cops turned out negative. His first COVID-19 rapid test last Friday (July 3) was positive.

According to the PNP Spokesperson PBGen. Bernard Banac, the nine non-commissioned police officers will be available for inquiry at Camp Crame while the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) conducts further investigation on the shooting incident.

“Anytime na lumabas ang resulta ng imbestigasyon ng NBI ay kailangan na sumailaim sila sa proseso. So kung ito man ay nangangahulugan ng pagsasampa ng kaso ay nariyan agad sila para sumailalim sa proseso, (Anytime the NBI investigation result is released, they need to undergo the process. So if it means filing of cases, they will be present to go through the process),” he said.

Meanwhile, PNP Chief PGen. Archie Gamboa urges the nine cops to cooperate with the NBI on the investigation.

“We should participate and we should cooperate fully with the NBI kasi kung ang ginawa niyo naman tama then wala kayong worry pero siyempre kapag mali then mananagot talaga kayo, (if you have done the right thing, then there is nothing to worry about but of course, if you are wrong then you will be held accountable),” he said. AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

50 Chinese nationals arrested for illegal POGO operations

Aileen Cerrudo   •   July 7, 2020

Fifty Chinese nationals were arrested by the Makati City Police on Monday (July 6) for working in an illegal Philippine Offshore Gaming Operator (POGO) firm.

The Makati City Police conducted an operation in Barangay Pio del Pilar after receiving complaints from residents about an illegal gambling operation.

NCRPO director Police MGen. Debold Sinas said various electronic devices including laptop computers, cellphones, and wifi routers were seized in the operation.

The arrested Chinese nationals will face various charges, such as violation of the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012, violation of RA 10176, and violation of article 515 in relation to RA 11332, as well as the city’s general community quarantine guidelines. AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.