PNP probes cops’ possible lapses in Datu Piang attack

Robie de Guzman   •   December 8, 2020   •   718

MANILA, Philippines – The board of inquiry (BOI) created by the Philippine National Police (PNP) has started its investigation into last week’s attack on a police station and military detachment in Datu Piang town in Maguindanao.

The board is headed by Police Major General Marni Marcos with five others.

Part of its task is to determine possible operational or tactical lapses of policemen during the incident believed to have been perpetrated by around 50 members of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) and Dawlah Islamiyah.

BIFF is an Islamic separatist group while Dawlah Islamiyah is an ISIS-linked group.

Marcos said they were initially given until December 9, Wednesday, to wrap up their investigation but they have asked for an extension to finalize their report.

“As per instruction by the chief PNP (General Debold Sinas) when that incident happened last week, he gave us a timeline until December 9. But this morning, I requested for few days to wrap it up and we will submit as soon as possible,” he said.

Marcos said they are looking to submit their findings next week.

Meanwhile, Sinas confirmed that Capt. Ismael Bayona, chief of police in Datu Piang, has been temporarily relieved from his post as the investigation continues.

Bayona and other policemen involved in the incident are currently undergoing stress debriefing, he added.

“Lahat ng na-involve na pulis doon ay inundergo namin ng stress debriefing. After po ng result ng BOI (investigation) ay ibabalik namin sya,” Sinas said. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)

Ombudsman junks CIDG petition vs Abayalde anew

Maris Federez   •   November 26, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Office of the Ombudsman has rejected anew the motion filed by the Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) seeking the reversal of the decision to acquit former PNP chief Police General Oscar Abayalde of graft charges filed against him.

In its resolution, the Ombudsman said the CIDG’s motion still lack sufficient evidence that will pin down Abayalde to the case.

The resolution added that the CIDG did not submit new arguments that will prove the involvement of the retired general in the case.

The CIDG filed graft charges against Abayalde for his alleged involvement in the anomalous drug operation of police authorities in Pampanga in 2013. —/mbmf

NTC, makikipag-ugnayan sa PNP at NBI para matunton ang nasa likod ng text scams

Robie de Guzman   •   November 23, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Makikipag-ugnayan ang National Telecommunications (NTC) sa pulisya at sa National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) para imbestigahan ang mga nasa likod ng text scams.

Ito ay kasunod na rin ng mga reklamo ng ilang mobile subscribers ukol sa natatanggap nilang mga text messages mula sa mga ‘di kilalang phone numbers na nag-aalok ng trabaho, o kaya ay pautang.

Ayon sa NTC, maraming paraan para makuha ang phone number ng isang indibiduwal na pinapadalhan ng spam texts.

Kabilang na dito ang listahan ng mga number na nagpapaload sa mga tindahan at sa contact tracing system ng mga establisimyento.

Pero giit ni NTC deputy commissioner Edgardo Cabarios, ipinagbabawal ang pagbibigay ng impormasyong ito sa ibang tao at paggamit rito para sa text scams.

“We can coordinate perhaps with NBI at police para surveillance, ano, ma-determine sino yung mga yan—grupo ba sila or individual, et cetera, et cetera,” ani Cabarios.

Payo ng NTC sa publiko, huwag magbigay ng personal na impormasyon kung makakatanggap ng mga ganitong mensahe.

Maaari namang i-block ng NTC ang phone number ng mga gumagawa ng ganitong aktibidad kung hihilingin ng mga magrereklamo.

Kung makakatanggap ng text scams, maaari itong ireport sa NTC Central Office Consumer Welfare and Protection Division sa mga numerong (+63) (02) 8920-4464; (+63) (02) 8926-7722; at (+63) (02) 8921-3251.

Maaari ding magpadala ng mensahe sa e-mail address ng NTC na consumer@ntc.gov.ph. (Mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)

Eleazar orders nighttime patrols for holiday carolers

Robie de Guzman   •   November 11, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Outgoing Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Guillermo Eleazar on Thursday directed police personnel to begin nighttime patrols after the government approved the conduct of street caroling this holiday season.

In a statement, Eleazar said the patrols should be conducted to ensure the security and safety of carolers.

“Inatasan ko ang ating kapulisan na mag-umpisang magsagawa ng mga patrolya tuwing gabi para sa seguridad ng mga nangangaroling at para na rin siguraduhing sumusunod sila sa health protocols,” he said.

Eleazar also urged the public to continue observing health protocols and to not be complacent amid declining COVID-19 cases in the country.

“Kahit pa bumababa ang kaso ng COVID-19, hindi ito dahilan upang maging kampante at magpabaya sa pagsunod sa minimum public health standards,” he said.

The Department of Health earlier said that carolers must wear face mask and face shield as individuals expel more respiratory particles when singing, posing the risk of COVID-19 transmission.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.