PNP seizes more than 500 loose firearms from eight security agencies
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Thursday, August 30th, 2018
QUEZON CITY, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) presented on Thursday (August 30) a total of 536 loose firearms seized from eight private security agencies in the past two months.
The eight agencies were among the 452 companies that the PNP ordered closed for failure to renew their firearms licenses.
From this number, only 76 have been issued with cease-to-operate orders while authorities are still looking for the other 376 that may have already changed their business addresses.
PNP Civil Security Group Police Director Camilo Cascolan said charges are now being prepared against the owners of the agencies.
“They are also blacklisted and we are investigating (them) for whatever sanctions that we will have to give them,” he said.
Cascolan added that the firearms had to be seized so as not to be used in unlawful acts.
“These may go to the wrong hands, criminals and even those who wish like these guns. There are still a lot of CTOs to be implemented. We hope there will be a lot of firearms to be surrendered and confiscated as well,” the police officer said. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Lea Ylagan)
Eight Security Agencies where loose firearms were confiscated:
by Maris Federez | Posted on Wednesday, April 17th, 2019
The Philippine National Police (PNP) is now on full alert status in Metro Manila and other key tourist destinations until the end of the Lenten season.
Although authorities have not received threats in the country’s peace and order, around 91,000 police personnel are now deployed nationwide.
Police General Oscar Albayalde, NCRPO Chief Guillermo Eleazar and several PNP personnel on Wednesday (April 17) led the inspection at the Araneta Center Bus Terminal in Cubao and Victory Liner bus terminal in Pasay City.
The PNP officials personally checked the security plans of these terminals in accommodating passengers during the Lenten season. –Maris Federez
by UNTV News | Posted on Thursday, March 28th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – Senator Panfilo Lacson has renewed his appeal to the Philippine National Police (PNP) to impose stricter gun control measures, including the limited issuance of Permits to Carry Firearms Outside Residences (PTCFOR).
Lacson made the call following the killing of a policeman along EDSA (Epifanio delos Santos Avenue) in San Juan City.
Police Senior Master Sgt. Solomon Cugay was shot dead on Tuesday (March 26) by motorcycle-riding gunmen along EDSA-Connecticut southbound lane.
The PNP said Cugay was among the personalities included on the narcotics list released by President Rodrigo Duterte in 2016.
Cugay had previous records of coddling and recycling illegal drugs, according to PNP Chief General Oscar Albayalde, but the former was able to clear his name and was absolved from the case some two years ago.
Lacson said the PNP should limit the issuance of PTCFOR to ensure that only uniformed military and police personnel on duty can bring firearms outside their homes.
He said anyone carrying firearms in public places should be assumed to have criminal intent and apprehended on the spot.
“Firearms are for self-defense and protection of properties from intruders and not for offensive action by the possessor,” he said.
The Lawmaker also challenged the PNP to prove that they are capable of carrying out their mandate to protect the public from criminals.
He also pushed for stronger law on gun control to prevent mass shooting incidents similar to other countries.
Last year, Lacson had urged the PNP to implement stricter firearms control following the spate of killings of local officials, including Tanauan City, Batangas Mayor Anthony Halili and Ako-Bicol Party-list Rep. Rodel Batocabe. – Robie de Guzman
by UNTV News | Posted on Tuesday, March 19th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) considers the murder of 16-year old Christine Lee Silawan as case solved but not yet closed, following the arrest of one of the suspects in the brutal killing.
The main suspect was arrested by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) at his house in Barangay Maribago in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu on Saturday (March 16), several days after Silawan’s mutilated body was found on Monday (March 11).
Based on a report of UNTV News and Rescue’s Ito ang Balita by Lea Ylagan on Tuesday, PNP Spokesperson Senior Supt. Bernard Banac said a case has already been filed against the arrested suspect, identified as the 17-year old former boyfriend of the slain Cebuana teen.
Banac added that they are not yet closing the case since they are still looking into the possibility that the male suspect received help in carrying out the crime.
“Nagkaroon na ng murder charges laban sa suspect na nahuli ng NBI at ito ay isinagawa kahapon at meron pang dalawang suspek kaya’t patuloy ang pagsuporta ng PNP. Masasabi na natin ngayon na the murder case is solved but not yet closed,” Banac said in a press briefing at Camp Crame.
Based on CCTV footage retrieved by NBI from the city’s security cameras, the suspect was seen with Silawan before she was killed on March 10.
Authorities believe the victim was killed around six or seven p.m. Her body was found early Monday morning, naked waist down and half of her face was skinned. She also suffered multiple stab wounds and her tongue, throat and upper part of the neck were removed.
The NBI said they have gotten hold of a Facebook conversation between the victim and a boy which led them to believe that it was the same person as the one they have arrested.
“Based on Facebook chats, the victim and the POI (person of interest) are there to meet. Parang may ibinigay siya na items, teddy bear at ‘tsaka cellphone. ‘Yung ka-chat niya sa Facebook. In-assume namin na siya ‘yun kaya nga we are still determining whether isa lang ba ‘yung tao na ‘yun,” NBI Central Visayas Assistant Regional Director Atty. Dominador Cimafranca said.
Police said intense jealousy may have triggered the brutal killing of the young victim.
“Base sa pahayag ng NBI ay nagkaroon sila ng impormasyon na ito ay crime of passion dahil sa relasyon ng suspek doon sa biktima,” Banac said
“Subalit hindi naman doon titigil ang investigation team. Of course, titingnan pa rin lahat ang posibleng anggulo ng imbestigasyon,” he added.
Investigators have also concluded that Jonas Bueno has no involvement in the gruesome murder of Silawan.
Bueno was arrested in Davao City last March 15 (Friday) following suspicion on his link to the crime. He was the prime suspect in the killing of 60-year old Trinidad Batucan on January 11 in Danao City, Cebu, with the skin on her face and chest removed.
However, Bueno will remain in detention as he is facing charges for Batucan’s murder.
Meanwhile, the Silawan family hopes the real perpetrators of Christine’s killing will be brought to justice. – Robie de Guzman
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.