Police cadet dies during training exercise in Cavite
by Marje Pelayo | Posted on Thursday, May 16th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – Cadet fourth class Al Rasheed Pendatun Macadato collapsed during a run on Tuesday afternoon (May 14) at Camp General Mariano Castañeda in Silang, Cavite.
The 21-year-old was taking part in the new cadet summer training program of the Philippine National Police Academy.
“Nagkaroon sila ng exercise at road run. Pagkatapos ng road run nila ng ala-singko ng hapon habang nagwa-warm down at stretching ay nakaramdam ng pagkahilo,” explained PNP Spokesperson Police Col. Bernard Banac.
(They had an exercise and a road run. After the road run around 5:00 p.m. during their warm down and stretching exercises, he [Macadato] felt dizzy.)
According to the PNPA, he was rushed to the Camp’s health dispensary and later to Qualimed Hospital in Sta. Rosa, Laguna where he was admitted to an intensive care unit (ICU).
But Macadato passed away on Wednesday (May 15).
Banac said the attending physician ruled out hazing as the cause of Macadato’s death.
Macadato died of heat stroke, according to the PNPA, as they were required to do some pull ups and running when he collapsed.
The PNPA said the hot weather may have affected the cadets’ training exercises and promised to look into the possible lapses in the training program.
“Patuloy itong iniimbestigahan ng pamunuan ng PNP…inaalam nila ang kaniyang medical records kung meron mang indikasyon o prone o maaaring naka-apekto, nakatulong at nakapagdulot ng kanyang pagkahilo,” the official said.
(The PNP leadership are investigating the case…they are looking into his medical records to see if there are existing conditions that may have contributed to his dizziness.)
Macadato was one of the 285 Fourth Class Cadets accepted in May 1, 2019 by the PNPA. Their batch was on their 10th training day when the incident happened. – (with details from Lea Ylagan) Marje Pelayo
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Tuesday, May 21st, 2019
Incumbent President Joko Widodo won last month’s Indonesian election with 55.5 percent of votes against 44.5 percent for his challenger, retired General Prabowo Subianto, the election commission’s official count announced early on Tuesday (May 21).
“The valid ballots voted for presidential candidate number one, Prabowo Subianto and Sandiaga Salahuddin Uno, is 68,650,239 or 44.5 percent of the total national votes,” said Commissioner Evi Novida Ginting of Indonesia’s National Election Commission.
The official result released by the General Election Commission (KPU) confirms unofficial counts by private pollsters of the April 17 election, giving Widodo a comfortable victory, though it could trigger a legal challenge and potential street protests after Prabowo claimed widespread cheating.
Widodo won with over 85 million of the total 154 million votes cast in the world’s third-largest democracy.
“The valid ballots voted for presidential candidate number one, Joko Widodo and Maruf Amin, is 85,607,362 or 55.5 percent of the total national votes,” Ginting said.
An election supervisory agency earlier on Monday (May 20) dismissed claims of systematic cheating because of a lack of evidence and independent observers and analysts have said the poll was free and fair.
The losing party can lodge a legal challenge at the constitutional court. Otherwise, the commission will officially declare the winner by May 28. (REUTERS)
by Marje Pelayo | Posted on Tuesday, May 21st, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – Former Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales was temporarily held at Hong Kong International Airport on Tuesday (May 21).
According to Deputy Consul General Germinia Aguilar-Usudan, Morales arrived at 12:20 p.m. along with her family for a vacation.
Her family was allowed entry but the Hong Kong Immigration Officials stopped her and held her at the airport.
With assistance from Philippine Consulate officials, Morales was allowed entry at around 3:00 p.m but she decided to just take a flight back to the Philippines.
Aguilar-Usudan said, however, they were not informed of the exact reason why Morales was held.
The former Ombudsman and her family will take Philippine Airlines flight PR307 to Manila.
In March, Morales along with former Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario, filed a complaint of crimes against humanity against Chinese President Xi Jinping at the International Criminal Court (ICC) for purportedly damaging the resources at the disputed territory in West Philippine Sea through China’s ongoing reclamation activities in the area. —Marje Pelayo (with details from Ferdie Petalio | UNTV Hong Kong)
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Monday, May 20th, 2019
An explosion hit a tourist bus near the Egyptian capital of Cairo on Sunday, injuring at least 10 people.
The blast occurred in the afternoon when the bus carrying 25 foreign tourists was hit by an explosive device near the Grand Egyptian Museum.
Some witnesses heard a huge sound at that time and state-run Nile TV said the blast shattered the glass windows of the bus and other nearby vehicles.
According to Egypt’s security department, the blast was caused by unknown explosive put outside the fence of the museum. Preliminary investigation shows that the blast was triggered by a remote-controlled device.
Egypt’s Ministry of Antiquities said the blast didn’t cause damage to the museum, which is under repair and scheduled to open to the public next year.
As of now, no individual or organization has claimed responsibility for the blast. (REUTERS)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.