QC gov’t to strictly implement ban on fireworks, pyrotechnics in December

UNTV News   •   November 21, 2017   •   7308

QUEZON CITY, Philippines — The local government of Quezon City is just waiting for the completion of the Implementing Rules and Regulations or IRR of the ordinance banning the use of firecrackers in public areas before enforcing it next month.

The City Ordinance 2618 considers roads, alleys, parks, basketball courts, among others, as public areas.

According to the author of the law, 2nd District Councilor Rannie Ludovica, the new regulation aims to help the public avoid accidents, and reduce the pollution caused by firecrackers.

“The safety of ordinary citizens and motorists are threatened because of firecrackers being thrown on the road.  Imagine if you were driving and firecrackers are thrown at you or someone will put “sawa” (a long string of firecrackers) on the road,” QC 2nd District Coun. Rannie Ludovica said.

Under the ordinance, the city government will designate a community display area where residents could conduct fireworks display or pyrotechnics. One designated community display area is the Quezon Memorial Circle.

The regulation mandates the apprehension of individuals caught selling firecrackers without permits in public places.

First-time violators will face a penalty of community service.

Those who will be caught committing the violation twice will have to pay a fine of P1-thousand to P2-thousand with a community service.

Third-time violators will have to pay P5-thousand with imprisonment.

Some residents consider the ordinance as a convenience.

“It’s better if they will totally ban it so no one would get injured,” QC resident Adolfo Cogaya said.

“You will be shocked sometimes because you don’t know that the firecracker is already in front of you. Sometimes, you will get injured,” QC resident Benedicta Asis said.

Village chieftains will be in charge of monitoring the enforcement of the law.

It can be recalled that last June, President Rodrigo Duterte signed the Executive Number 28 which limits the use of firecrackers in the country to community fireworks display. – Macky Libradilla | UNTV News & Rescue

Quezon City opens nighttime COVID-19 vaccination for workers

Robie de Guzman   •   June 16, 2021

The Quezon City government on Wednesday announced it has launched a nighttime vaccination program, which will open at 6 p.m. or after working hours to accommodate employees who cannot take time off from work or visit a vaccination site during the day.

In a statement, Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte said the vaccination program, dubbed “QC Bakuna Nights,” aims to expand the reach of the city and immunize workers whose only free time is in the evening.

“Para ito sa mga manggagawa natin na hindi naman makaliban sa kanilang trabaho para makapagpabakuna sa karaniwang oras na 8am-5pm. Lalo na ‘yung mga arawan ang sahod,” Belmonte said.

“Ngayon, hindi na nila kailangang mamili kung arawang kita ba muna o bakuna. We will inoculate them at a time most convenient to them,” she added.

The city government also said on Wednesday that for the first time, around 2,000 pre-registered frontline personnel under the A4 category will be inoculated at the Quezon City Hall Grounds.

QC gov’t eyes cutting ties with firm behind eZConsult over vaccination booking woes

Robie de Guzman   •   June 16, 2021

The Quezon City government on Wednesday said it is “seriously considering” terminating its contract with Zuellig Pharma Corporation, the firm behind eZConsult, after some residents complained of difficulty booking COVID-19 vaccination appointments.

Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte said she has issued an ultimatum to Zuellig Pharma Corporation to upgrade its system and provide all the deliverables by Friday, June 18, as agreed in a meeting held last week.

“If not, we have no other choice but to contract another company that can do the job quickly and efficiently,” Belmonte said in a statement.

Belmonte made the pronouncement after residents reported problems in accessing eZConsult services since March 27.

“Kaya natin kinuha ang serbisyo ng eZConsult ay para mapadali ang proseso ng pagpapatala ngunit ano ang gagawin natin kung ang sistema nila mismo ang ugat ng problema,” she said.

“We have already improved our system in vaccination centers where people no longer have to fall in line and go through the entire vaccination process within a maximum of 45 mins. Dapat kahit virtual pila wala din sa QC as long as vaccine supply is stable. Yet eZconsult is putting all our efforts down the drain,” she added.

In addition to terminating its deal with Zuellig, the Quezon City government is also mulling suing the company for damages if it fails to meet its contractual obligations to the local government by Friday.

The local government said City Attorney Orlando Casimiro already wrote Zuellig Pharma Corporation, through its general manager Danilo Cahoy, demanding liquidated damages in connection with the technical failures of eZConsult.

“If the improvements promised to the city are not honored as is contained in the contract, we will initiate contract termination proceedings and file appropriate charges against them as deemed appropriate by our city legal counsel to enforce and protect our rights and the interests of QCitizens,” Belmonte said.

Davao City surpasses QC in average daily COVID-19 cases; records ‘very high’ positivity rate

Aileen Cerrudo   •   June 8, 2021

Davao City has surpassed Quezon City in having high average daily cases of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), according to OCTA Research Group.

According to the research group, Davao City along with other areas in Mindanao, has recorded high growth rate in COVID-19 cases. Davao City has an average of 213 daily COVID-19 cases while Quezon City has 207.

Due to this the local government said it will conduct online consultations with doctors to discuss additional temporary treatment management facilities.

A business process outsourcing (BPO) company was also placed under lockdown after 403 employees tested positive for COVID-19. The Davao City local government will also conduct an investigation if the said BPO company had  violated public minimum health standards

Davao City Police Office (DCPO) Spokesperson Pcpt. Rose Aguilar reminded the public to follow minimum health protocols. Over 3,000 individuals have been apprehended for not wearing facemasks and face shields.

“Sumunod talaga tayo palagi sa health protocols at tayo mismo magbantay sa ating sarili, na hindi tayo makatabi o makalapit sa kapwa indibidwal. Ang ating facemask, face shield at paghuhugas ng kamay palagi nating gawin,” he said.

(Let us follow health protocols and we should be vigilant in maintaining physical distancing. Wear facemask, face shield, and wash your hands.)

Meanwhile, the local government will place additional temporary treatment management facilities due to bed shortage brought by the surge in COVID-19 cases. AAC (with reports from Marisol Montano)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.