Retired Gen. Lacadin: Albayalde benefitted from 2013 Pampanga drug raid
Freema Gloria • October 9, 2019 • 1156
Another former Philippine National Police (PNP) official has testified against PNP Chief Pgen. Oscar Albayalde, as the senate resumed its probe on ninja cops today.
Retired General Rudy Lacadin revealed that Albayalde told him about personally gaining from the 2013 drug raid in Mexico, Pampanga.
“He said, I don’t know if he was joking, ‘Actually, Sir, konti lang naman ang napunta sa akin dyan’,” Lacadin stated.
The PNP chief, however, strongly denied Lacadin’s allegation, saying the former officials are seemingly working together to conspire against him.
“Hindi ko alam kung ano against niya sa akin. Kung sinabi ko yan, sabihin ko uli, why was I not charged?” retorted the Police general.
Yet, Lacadin asserted that he does not have a personal reason to discredit Albayalde.
Ex-PNP Chief General Alan Purisima, on his part, said Albayalde was not charged then because there was no evidence against him.
Due to Lacadin’s disclosure, former CIDG Director and now Baguio City Mayor Benjamin Magalong concluded that Albayalde is lying.
“Someone is lying. It is not Gen. Lacadin. It is not the police officers. Someone here is lying. Siya po,” Magalong said, referring to Albayalde.
To stand his ground, Albayalde reiterated no lawsuit was filed against him.
He added that he was only relieved from his position as the chief of Pampanga Police to give way to the authorities’ investigation on the said controversial drug raid. (from the report of April Cenedoza)
MANILA, Philippines — Baguio City mayor and the country’s contact tracing czar, Benjamin Magalong on Saturday confirmed that he has tested positive for COVID-19.
“It is with a sad note that I would like to inform everyone that as of my RT-PCR test conducted yesterday morning (April 2, 2021), to which my results came out at 4:30pm of the same day, I was tested positive of the Covid-19 virus,” he said in a statement.
He said contact tracing efforts are underway for those he had come into close contact with and advised everybody to observe the minimum health standards.
Magalong added that the news came out as a devastating blow for him and his family.
“The seriousness of this pandemic is something that we should not take for granted. It is a difficult situation and I don’t want anyone of you to be in this condition as it is emotionally, psychologically and financially difficult for our loved ones to bear,” he said.
He assured however, that despite his current predicament, his team will continue to closely monitor the City’s situation and coordinate with proper authorities the necessary actions to be taken.
“Again, I am calling for everyone’s consideration to further observe protocols. Let us do this for our family, our friends and everyone we care for,” the official said.
MANILA, Philippines – Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque on Tuesday said he is “100 percent sure” that President Rodrigo Duterte wants Baguio City Mayor Benjamin Magalong to stay as the country’s contract tracing czar.
This is despite Magalong’s move to tender his resignation from the post after he was recently criticized over his attendance at a party organized by media personality Tim Yap which allegedly violated health protocols.
In an online press briefing, Roque said Duterte only has “words of praises” for Magalong in his competence to lead the government’s contact tracing efforts against COVID-19.
“I have heard with my own two ears, nothing but words of praises for mayor magalong from the president, so I am 100 percent sure that president would want to stay on as tracing czar,” Roque said.
Roque last week announced that the National Task Force against COVID-19 has rejected the resignation of Magalong.
Magalong, in a media interview earlier, said his resignation was irrevocable but he might stay as a contact tracing czar if Duterte asks him to do so.
MANILA, Philippines — Baguio City Mayor Benjamin Magalong submitted his resignation as the country’s Contact Tracing Czar after his attendance in a party organized by entertainment personality Tim Yap drew flak for violating some health safety protocols.
Among those seen to have violated the government health restrictions was Magalong’s wife.
In his resignation letter addressed to NTF Chief Implementer and Vaccine Czar Carlito Galvez Jr., Magalong admitted to having failed the government for not immediately acting on the violations on the night of the event.
“In hindsight, being a senior officer of the Task Force, I should have done an immediate spot correction of the errors that I witnessed during that time,” he explained.
With this, the Mayor accepted the blame and said he is willing to support should the NTF or the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) conduct an investigation on the incident.
“It pains me to see my family, and my constituents, in anguish over this but I am committed to hold myself accountable and do what is necessary to rectify this misstep.” Magalong said.
His colleagues in the NTF were saddened by Magalong’s sudden decision.
According to Galvez, Magalong’s exit will hugely impact the operations of the NTF.
“Malaking kawalan po sa amin iyon kasi po, 4 po ang haligi po ng ating PDITR, at isa po talaga ang contact tracing lalo na po ngayon sa mga adverse event,” Galvez explained.
“Kaliangan po ang syndromic surveillance at contact tracing and we can vouch for his honor and integrity,” he added.
Meanwhile, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque confirmed that the Task Force is not accepting Magalong’s resignation.
“Mayor Magalong’s resignation, however, has not been accepted. He continues to enjoy the trust and confidence of the leadership of the National Task Force (NTF) against COVID-19,” he said.
For the part of the Department of Health (DOH), Magalong should remain in his position.
“He has helped the contact tracing efforts of the country a lot. Actually yung ating pakikipagtulungan kay Mayor Magalong is on that level na pagka kailangan talaga is tumatawag tayo sa kanya kasi he can really assist us,” said DOH Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire.
“We know that the President has that trust and the DOH also trusts Mayor Magalong and we also believe that he should remain in that position,” she added.
The NTF appeals to the public for understanding to give Magalong another chance given his contribution to the country’s COVID-19 response. –MNP (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.