Sara Duterte says she wants to finish last term as Davao City mayor; appeals for understanding from supporters

Robie de Guzman   •   October 7, 2021   •   246

MANILA, Philippines – Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio on Wednesday appealed for understanding from  supporters who have been pushing her to seek a national position in the 2022 elections.

“Masakit din para sa aking damdamin na sana’y magpaubaya sa mga kaibigan na hindi ko maibigay ang gusto ninyo,” Duterte-Carpio wrote on her official Facebook page.

Various political groups have expressed their support for the presidential daughter should she decide to join the presidential race.

Duterte-Carpio’s supporters have also conducted various activities to convince her to run for president and file her candidacy before the deadline on Friday, Oct. 8.

The Davao City mayor has consistently topped pre-election surveys on presidential preferences who may replace her father, President Rodrigo Duterte, when his term ends in June 2022.

Despite all this, she still filed her certificate of candidacy for reelection as Davao City mayor.

Duterte-Carpio said she still has a lot to do in her city as she reiterated her earlier statement that she has no plans to seek a national post in next year’s polls.

“Gusto ko po sana tapusin muna ang huli kong termino sa Mayor bago ako manungkulan sa ibang position,” she said.

“Madami sa inyo ang nasasaktan, sumama ang loob at nawalan ng pag-asa pero puwede pa rin tayo magtulungan para sa ating bayan, di kailangan ng position, di kailangan ng tayo ay Pangulo upang makatulong,” she said.

“Gawin natin ang pagtulong sa kapwa sa araw-araw natin na pamumuhay. Maraming Salamat po,” she added.

Sara Duterte-Carpio earlier said that she would not run for president, citing their family’s agreement that only one of them should gun for a national position.

President Duterte previously said he will run as vice president but later withdrew his certificate of nomination and acceptance (CONA) and instead threw his support for the vice presidential bid of his former longtime aide, Senator Bong Go.

At the same time, he also announced his retirement from politics and mentioned that his daughter Sara will run with Go in 2022 polls.

The camp of Sara Duterte had no comment regarding the president’s statement.

 

Bongbong Marcos camp says sorry for heavy traffic during caravan in QC

Robie de Guzman   •   December 8, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The camp of presidential hopeful Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has apologized to the public over the heavy traffic brought by the caravan they held in Quezon City on Wednesday morning.

In a statement, Marcos’ chief of staff and spokesperson Attorney Victor Rodriguez said the organizers of the caravan did not expect the large number of people joining the event.

“Humihingi na rin ng paumanhin at pang-unawa ang BBM-Sara UniTeam sa mga motorista, byahero, pamahalaang lungsod at maging sa MMDA kung ang nasabing Unity Caravan ay nagdulot ng pagsikip sa daloy ng trapiko,” he said.

Marcos and his running mate, Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte kicked off their caravan along the Commonwealth Avenue along with their supporters riding motorcycles and other vehicles.

The Quezon City government earlier advised motorists along Commonwealth Avenue, Elliptical Road, and Quezon Avenue to take alternate routes to avoid heavy traffic due to the political caravan.

Meanwhile, the camp of Marcos expressed gratitude to the city government for its assistance during the caravan, despite difference in political beliefs.

“Nagpapasalamat ang BBM-Sara Uniteam sa mga tulong na inihanda ng pamahalaang lungsod sa pamumuno ni Mayor Joy Belmonte para sa okasyon na ginanap ngayong araw (Disyembre 8),” Rodriguez said.

“At nagpupugay ang tambalang Bongbong Marcos at Sara Duterte sa pakikiisa ng lahat na taga-lungsod Quezon, maging anoman ang kanilang paniniwalang pulitikal, sa nasabing pagtitipon,” he added.

The caravan was spearheaded by Anakalusugan party-list Representative Mike Defensor, who is running for Quezon City mayor, along with his running mate Councilor Winnie Castelo, House Majority Leader Martin Romualdez and other city officials.

Duterte to join democracy summit hosted by US – Palace

Robie de Guzman   •   December 8, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte is set to participate in the “Summit for Democracy” to be hosted by the United States government this week, Malacañang said.

In a statement, the Office of the President said Duterte will join the summit set on December 9 to 10 “upon the invitation of US President Joe Biden.”

“President Biden has invited heads of state and government, other government leaders and voices from the business and nongovernment sectors to join the US in taking action to strengthen democracy,” the Palace said.

Malacañang said Duterte “has accepted” Biden’s invitation.

“President Duterte likewise welcomes the opportunity to share the Philippine democratic experience and commitment to democratic values and nation-building at the Summit for Democracy,” it added.

Biden will convene world leaders from government, the private sector, business and the civil society in the virtual summit. It will focus on challenges and opportunities facing democracies and will provide a platform for leaders to announce both individual and collective commitments, reforms, and initiatives to defend democracy and human rights at home and abroad, according to the US State Department.

The summit has three key themes: Defending against authoritarianism, addressing and fighting corruption, and promoting respect for human rights.

The United States said the summit will offer an opportunity to listen, learn, and engage with a diverse range of actors whose support and commitment is critical for global democratic renewal.

Romeo Brawner Jr. named as new PH Army chief

Robie de Guzman   •   December 8, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has appointed Major General Romeo Brawner Jr. as the new commanding general of the Philippine Army, Malacañang announced.

“The Palace confirms that President Rodrigo Roa Duterte has approved the designation of MGen Romeo S. Brawner Jr. as Commanding General of the Philippine Army,” the Palace said in a statement on Tuesday.

“We wish General Brawner all the best in his new assignment,” it added.

Brawner is the current commander of the Army’s 4th Infantry Division.

He will take over the post from Lieutenant General Andres Centino, who is now the chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).

Malacañang expressed confidence that Brawner “will continue the reform initiatives his predecessors pursued in order to transform the largest branch of the Armed Forces of the Philippines into a more dynamic and more professional organization true to its mandate to serve our people and secure our nation.”

Brawner is a member of Philippine Military Academy (PMA) Makatao Class of 1989.

He also served as acting commandant of cades at the PMA, spokesperson of the Joint Task Force Marawi at the height of the campaign against Islamic State-linked militants who laid siege in Marawi City in 2017.

He also served as the commander of the 103rd Brigade in Mindanao and served as Army spokesperson.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.