Sinas awaits IAS recommendation on 9 cops in Jolo shooting
Marje Pelayo • November 30, 2020 • 337
MANILA, Philippines – Police General Debold Sinas is yet to receive the recommendation of the Philippine National Police Internal Affairs Service (PNP-IAS) on the case of the nine policemen involved in the controversial shooting incident with members of the military in Jolo, Sulu.
The PNP Chief said he will immediately ask the PNP Legal Service to review the said recommendation before he issues a final decision on the matter.
“Hinihintay ko iyon. Baka on transit na iyon kasi dadaan muna iyon sa SDS (Secretary of the Directorial Staff) natin, TCDS (The Chief Directorial Staff), papaakyat ng ladder para makapag comment din sila,” Sinas said.
In most cases, the decision of the Chief PNP goes along with the recommendation of the PNP-IAS especially if evidence against the involved cops is strong.
Sinas said the involved cops may still appeal whatever his decision may be in the case.
“Sometimes natutuloy pero bihira na lang na nababago so sa case na ito ayaw ko muna mag comment, kasi ito ang first major decision ko sa admin cases as Chief PNP,” he noted.
Last Friday, Atty. Alfegar Triambulo of the PNP IAS told UNTV that their recommendation against the nine cops would be dismissal from service for being guilty of grave misconduct.
Meanwhile, a 50-day suspension for less grave neglect of duty is recommended against the three cops who were manning the checkpoint in the area where the military intelligence personnel were flagged down.
As for former Jolo Chief of Police PLt.Col Walter Anayo and PCapt. Ariel Corcino, they may face 40-day suspension due to command responsibility and less grave neglect of duty.
For its part, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is pleased of the development in the case that involved their intelligence officer.
According to AFP Spokesperson Maj. General Edgard Arevalo, the AFP is hoping for a criminal case to be filed against the accused.
“We are looking forward to the two-fold criminal and civil liabilities of those involved in the murder of our soldiers,” he concluded. MNP (with exclusive reports from Lea Ylagan)
MANILA, Philippines—The Philippine National Police-Internal Affairs Service (PNP-IAS) is eyeing to install an alert tone on the mobile phones of its personnel to remind them about pending cases.
PNP-IAS chief Alfegar Triambulo announced that the alert tone had been initially installed in the computers of their personnel, after which, resolution process of cases has shortened from 90 days to 40 days.
“Mabilis na ngayon ang IAS, nasa 40 days lang natatapos na or 30 days kasi nag-aalarm ito. Kapag iyong sa timeline ng investigator, prosecutor at hearing officer, kapag hindi nila natapos within the timeline, nag-aalarm po ito,” he said.
Triambulo said installing the alarm tones on mobile phones of personnel would also remind them to complete the pending cases even outside their office.
“I-connect na namin sa cellphone para kapag hindi siya magta-trabaho, pumunta siya sa mall kapag ang gamitin niya ang cellphone, mag-aalarm po iyon kasi natulog ang kaso. Sasabihin, ‘Tamad, tamad, tamad.’ Kaya mahiya siya,” he said.
The PNP-IAS handles the investigation and hearings of policemen facing administrative cases. AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)
MANILA, Philippines—The Philippine National Police (PNP) has confirmed that manhunt operations are underway against the nine dismissed cops involved in the shooting of four military men in Jolo, Sulu.
PNP chief PGen. Debold Sinas also confirmed that the nine cops are now in Jolo, Sulu based on the latest report of the tracker team of the Police Regional Office Bangsamoro Autonomous Region-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group.
“Hinihintay namin ang [resulta ng] manhunt at nasa Jolo na according to last report nandoon sila sa Jolo. Lahat nakauwi na (We are waiting for the result of the manhunt and they are in Jolo, according to the last report. They have returned to Jolo),” he said.
Sinas also added negotiations are still underway for the involved cops who wish to surrender.
“Sabi ko as long as they surrender wala akong problema, but the manhunt still ongoing (I said as long as they surrender, I have no problem, but the manhunt is still ongoing),” he said.
Last January 14, a warrant of arrest against the nine former cops were released by the Sulu Regional Trial Court.
They are being charged for shooting four military men who were investigating two suspected suicide bombers last June 29, 2020. -AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Justice (DOJ) has issued a hold departure order against the nine policemen involved in the shooting of four army personnel in Jolo, Sulu.
In a statement, DOJ Secretary Menardo Guevarra has ordered prosecutors to file a motion in the court for a hold departure order against the policemen accused of killing the four army personnel in Jolo, Sulu last June 2020.
The order was issued after the Philippine National Police (PNP) released the said cops after being dismissed from service.
“The DOJ prosecutors filed the criminal information against the 9 police officers last January 4. The court was supposed to issue the warrants of arrest thereafter, but apparently failed to do so because of the current lockdown in Sulu,” he said.
Guevarra, meanwhile, hopes the accused would voluntarily turn themselves in once the warrants are issued.
“We hope that the 9 accused will voluntarily turn themselves in when such warrants are eventually released by the court. Otherwise, law enforcement agents will look for them and take them into custody,” Guevarra said. -AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.