Sinopharm files for EUA in PH — Roque

Marje Pelayo   •   March 1, 2021   •   517

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang on Monday (March 1) confirmed that China’s Sinopharm has already filed for emergency use authorization (EUA) of its COVID-19 vaccine with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

This was confirmed by Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque at a press briefing.

“They have already filed with the fda an application for eua for sinopharm vaccine, nai-file na po,” he said during the kick off vaccination event in UP-PGH.

The Sinopharm vaccine has been controversial as it was the brand injected to members of the Presidential Security Group (PSG) last year despite lack of proper authorization from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

It is also the brand that is preferred by President Rodrigo Duterte himself.

However, FDA Director General Dr. Eric Domingo in Laging Handa public briefing on PTV earlier today said he has not seen an application as of Friday.  He is also not sure if the application was filed online.

“As of last Friday po, wala pa naman akong nabalitaan na natanggap kami na EUA application from Sinopharm,” Domingo said.

“Hindi ko alam kung nag-apply sila online over the weekend pero wala pa pong sinasabi sa akin,” he added.

Should the EUA application be received, the FDA will have a long process of reviewing it similar to Sinovac;s CoronaVac vaccine.

Specifically, it will take more than 21 days or more likely from four to six weeks because Sinopharm has not received any EUA from much stringent regulatory authorities such as the United States, the United Kingdom and the World Health Organization.

At present, only three vaccines are FDA-approved for emergency use in the Philippines.

These are COVID-19 vaccines fro, Pfizer-BioNTech, AstraZeneca, and Sinovac. MNP (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

DOH tells Sinopharm vaccine recipients to wait for advice on booster shot

Robie de Guzman   •   January 20, 2022

MANILA, Philippines – Individuals who received Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine shot would have to wait for the advice from health experts on which brand could be used for their booster dose, an official from the Department of Health (DOH) said.

“The experts have not come out with a recommended booster shots, because kulang ng data ang nai-submit sa FDA kung ano iyong puwedeng ibakuna,” Health Undersecretary Myrna Cabotaje said in a public briefing. “So maghintaty-hintay lang muna.”

She said the DOH is also awaiting advice from the World Health Organization (WHO) on what booster they would recommend for those who were inoculated with Sinopharm vaccine.

“We hope that in a couple of weeks, kasi matagal na, alam ko matagal na silang naghihintay kailangan pinu-push, kasi ang dami na talagang nagtatanong. So, we will ask not only our experts here, but also WHO kung ano ang puwede nilang mairekomenda na booster ng Sinopharm,” she said.

Cabotaje said they also studying the information on COVID-19 vaccine boosters released by the WHO.

“We are also looking at the release of the World Health Organization, kasi mayroon na silang binigay na by platform kung paano iyong mga boosters, so pati iyon titingnan natin kung ano ang puwede na pang-booster sa Sinopharm,” she said.

 

Duterte gets second Sinopharm jab

Marje Pelayo   •   July 13, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte received his second dose of COVID-19 vaccine from Sinopharm on Monday night.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III administered the vaccine at Malacañang.

“I confirm that President Rodrigo Duterte had his second dose of Sinopharm tonight before his meeting with select members of the IATF. Secretary Duque administered the jab to the President,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said.

Images of the President getting the vaccine were posted by Senator Bong Go.

After two weeks, the Chief Executive will be considered fully vaccinated.

On May 3, 2021, Duterte received his first dose of Sinopharm jab, one of the 1,000 only doses given emergency use authorization by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Duterte yet to receive 2nd COVID-19 vaccine jab, Roque clarifies

Robie de Guzman   •   June 25, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has yet to receive his second dose of Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine, Malacañang said Friday.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque issued the clarification after Presidential Security Group (PSG) Commander Brigadier General Jesus Durante III said in an interview with state-run PTV-4 that the president has been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

“Gen. Durante was mistakenly informed by his medical staff that a second dose was already administered to the President,” Roque said in a statement.

“Further, Gen. Durante has admitted, apologized and rectified his earlier remarks,” he added.

Duterte took his first dose on May 3 when the vaccine had yet to secure an emergency use approval (EUA) from the Philippine Food and Drug Administration FDA.

Sinopharm was granted EUA on June 7.

Health authorities recommend an interval of 3 to 4 weeks between the first and second dose of Sinopharm vaccine

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.