SMC opens two new Skyway 3 ramps

Robie de Guzman   •   February 11, 2021   •   757

MANILA, Philippines – San Miguel Corporation (SMC) Thursday announced that two new ramps of Skyway Stage 3 have been opened to the public.

The two new ramps were the A. Bonifacio northbound off-ramp – just before the Cloverleaf Mall in Balintawak – and the E. Rodriguez southbound off-ramp on Araneta Ave., which also provides access to Espana.

“With the opening of these ramps, those who are coming from Alabang, Paranaque, Las Pinas, Pasay, or Makati will no longer have to take EDSA and get stuck in several traffic chokepoints in order to get to Balintawak,” SMC president and chief operating officer Ramon Ang said in a statement.

“Meanwhile, those coming from NLEX headed to Quezon City, on the other hand, can opt to take Skyway 3 to get to E. Rodriguez Ave,” he added.

The now opened access ramps of Skyway 3 include:

Northbound

  • Buendia (Zobel) Entry
  • Quezon Ave. Entry
  • Quirino Ave. Exit
  • Quezon Ave. Exit
  • Bonifacio Exit
  • Balintawak Exit

Southbound

  • Balintawak Entry
  • Quezon Ave. Entry
  • Plaza Dilao Entry
  • Quezon Ave. Exit
  • E. Rodriguez Exit
  • Buendia (Zobel) Exit

Ang said that contractors for SMC Infrastructure are working continuously to deliver other access ramps.

He added that full completion of these was delayed due to pending Right-of-Way (ROW) acquisitions.

“Despite delays, we’re excited for the next access points to be opened soon. For northbound motorists, next to be opened will be the Quirino Entry, Nagtahan Entry, Nagtahan Exit, E. Rodriguez Entry, and C3 Exit. For southbound, we will soon open the C3 Entry, C3 Exit, A. Bonifacio Entry, Plaza Dilao Exit, and Nagtahan Exit,” Ang said.

“Once all of these access points are opened, traffic in many parts of Metro Manila, especially major thoroughfares, will be virtually a thing of the past. People will be able to get from one place to another within the city much faster and easier, without the stress. And because of this, our main thoroughfares and city streets will also be decongested, making travel for those not using the expressway better as well,” he added.

Skyway Stage 3, built and funded by the SMC, officially opened last January 14.

The 18-kilometer elevated expressway connects the South Luzon Expressway and NLEX and will serve as an alternative to EDSA with its access points that traverse Makati, Manila, San Juan, and Quezon City.

The toll road is expected to cut travel time between the country’s two main expressways to just 30 minutes from the 3 hours at present.

SMC confirms Skyway 3 to remain open; ramps at 97% completion

Aileen Cerrudo   •   March 16, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — San Miguel Corporation (SMC) has confirmed that the Skyway Stage 3 will remain open to motorists amid misunderstanding with the Toll Regulatory Board (TRB).

SMC President Ramon S. Ang said he has relayed this commitment to Department of Transportation (DOTr) Secretary Arthur Tugade.

In a statement, the SMC said the misunderstanding started when the TRB insisted that Skyway 3 cannot start full operations and collect toll until all ramps are 100% complete.

Ang reiterated that their supplemental toll operation agreement with the TRB states that the SMC can begin collecting at 95% completion of construction.

Ang reported that the ramps are at 97% completion. He also reiterated the need for collection for maintenance and to speed up the completion of the ramps.

“We need sufficient funds for the toll road’s daily maintenance, proper long-term upkeep and to keep it safe and efficient for the motoring public. As Skyway 3’s losses have been mounting because TRB keeps delaying the start of toll collection, the quickest way for our infrastructure unit to speed up 100% completion of the ramps would have been to close Skyway 3,” Ang said.

The SMC previously announced that the 18-kilometer elevated expressway will be closed beginning Tuesday (March 16) in compliance with the TRB directive that all ramps should be completed. However, the TRB clarified it did not issue a directive on the indefinite closure of Skyway Stage 3.

Ang also noted the concessions they have to make in the interest of the public.

“Skyway 3 is new, but heavy everyday use causes it to deteriorate if not maintained properly. We spend a lot for its upkeep, and at the same time lose a lot in foregone revenues. We cannot operate this and serve people if the project is not generating revenues,” he added.

The SMC had also revised the originally proposed fare matrix to significantly lower toll rates, to ensure that motorists will not bear the heavy burden of high toll fees, especially amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.

“Basically, we have done everything to make sure we can viably operate Skyway 3 right away, so we can serve motorists and fulfill our goal, which is to lessen traffic in Metro Manila and hopefully, through better connectivity, create more jobs and economic opportunities for more Filipinos,” Ang added. -AAC

TRB denies ordering closure of Skyway Stage 3

Robie de Guzman   •   March 16, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Toll Regulatory Board (TRB) on Tuesday clarified that it did not issue a directive on the indefinite closure of the Skyway Stage 3.

“This is to inform the public that the Toll Regulatory Board did not issue a decision or directive ordering the indefinite closure of the Skyway starting 5 p.m. of March 16,” the TRB said in a statement.

Posted by Toll Regulatory Board on Monday, March 15, 2021

San Miguel Corp. earlier announced that the 18-kilometer elevated expressway will be closed starting March 16 in compliance with the TRB directive until all ramps are completed.

“The position of the TRB and its management is to keep Skyway Stage 3 open for the benefit of the motorists,” the TRB said.

“The TRB is composed of the Department of Transportation, Department of Public Works and Highways, Department of Finance, National Economic and Development Authority, and a representative from the private sector,” it added.

Skyway Stage 3, built and funded by the SMC, officially opened last January 14.

The elevated expressway connects the South Luzon Expressway and NLEX and will serve as an alternative to EDSA with its access points that traverse Makati, Manila, San Juan, and Quezon City.

MRT-7 project opening eyed in 2022 – SMC

Robie de Guzman   •   February 19, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – San Miguel Corporation (SMC) is looking to open the Metro Rail Transit Line 7 (MRT-7) in December 2022, the company’s president, Ramon S. Ang said as he reported about the project’s progress on Friday.

Ang said the construction of the project is at about 54 percent complete, with significant advances in its electrical and mechanical works. the Elevation requirements and tunnel lengths of the rail are also finished.

“I’m excited to share with you the progress we have made on our MRT-7 project. Despite its many challenges, we are now halfway done with construction and are expecting delivery of the first batch of trains from South Korea Hyundai Rotem,” he said in a Facebook post.

“We are looking to open this vital rail network in less than two years,” he added.

I’m excited to share with you the progress we have made on our MRT-7 project. Despite its many challenges, we are now…

Posted by Ramon S. Ang on Thursday, February 18, 2021

Ang said they are expecting to complete major milestones of the project this year, including the construction of MRT-7 stations, as well as the arrival and the testing of the first batch of trains.

Once completed, the project will connect MRT-3 and Light Rail Transit Line 1 (LRT-1) and can ferry passengers from Quezon City to San Jose Del Monte, Bulacan.

“Together with Skyway 3 and our other ongoing and planned infrastructure projects, MRT-7 will further improve urban mobility by linking 14 stations from San Jose Del Monte, Bulacan to MRT-3 and LRT-1,” he said.

The project is envisioned to improve road traffic situation and spur economic growth in Bulacan.

“By providing a seamless public transport system, we will significantly ease road traffic congestion, reduce commute times, and improve quality of life,” Ang said.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.