SolGen: Ombudsman Morales concealed the result of Trillanes’ plunder complaint against Pres. Duterte

admin   •   February 14, 2018   •   5726

 

The ombudsman completed the Trillanes vs Duterte plunder complaint investigation in November 2017 but informed the solicitor general about it only on February 12.

MANILA, Philippines — Government allies accused Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales of concealing the investigation she conducted in connection with the plunder complaint filed by Senator Antonio Trillanes IV against President Rodrigo Duterte.

The ombudsman completed the said investigation in November of last year but informed the solicitor general about it only on February 12.

With this, the Office of the Solicitor General is studying the possible charges it could file against Morales.

The plunder complaint stemmed from the alleged hidden wealth of the president.

“This will be another case probably before the Supreme Court and I will be the one to argue it,” said Calida.

“Remember the president is the chief executive anyone who doesn’t agree with him should go to court and we will meet him there,” he added.

Calida claims that he would not have learned of the said decision had he not written a letter to the ombudsman last Friday to know the status of the complaint.

Based on the reply of Overall Deputy Ombudsman Melchor Arthur Carandang on Monday, the complaint was already “case closed and terminated” on November 29 of last year.

According to Calida, the president has the right to know the status of the complaint.

“It should be noted that Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales inhibited herself from this matter. It concerns the integrity of the president of the Philippines. She should explain first why she kept this from the public,” said the solicitor general.

With this development, Calida believes the Senate has no reason to investigate the allegations against the president.

In response, opposition members Senator Antonio Trillanes said, “Bakit sila nagpapanic? Bakit ayaw nilang mapahiya ako and most of all bakit ayaw pirmahan ni Duterte yung waiver, ayaw niyang tanggapin ang hamon ko. Pirmahan niya yung waiver, kapag mali ako, magreresign ako,” said Trillanes.

(Why are they panicking? Why don’t they want to embarrass me? And most of all why did President Duterte did not want to sign the waiver. He does not want to accept my challenge. He should sign my waiver. If I’m wrong, I will resign.)

While Magdalo Representative Gary Alejano said, “I am confident that the ombudsman would find out and prove that indeed the bank account and transaction records of Duterte are true and correct — it’s just a matter of time.”

Ombudsman Morales has yet to comment on the matter. — Aiko Miguel | UNTV News & Rescue

Duterte calls on ASEAN countries to stand with Myanmar amid coup crisis

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 28, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—President Rodrigo Duterte has called on member states of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to stand with Myanmar amid its coup crisis.

During the 39th ASEAN Summit, Duterte urged all parties in Myanmar to heed the ASEAN’s plea for peace.

“The Philippines urges all parties in Myanmar to engage in constructive dialogue with ASEAN. We are, after all, an ASEAN family. And if we cannot trust each other and work together, then who can Myanmar trust and work with?” he said.

He also urged ASEAN’s special envoy to visit Myanmar soon and meet all the parties involved.

Duterte expressed concern about Myanmar’s rejection of ASEAN’s sincere offers of assistance, stating that it may undermine the mutual trust and confidence that ASEAN-member states share.

Meanwhile, the president said the Philippines will commit to help individuals caught up in “situations beyond their control”.

“Our doors are open to our Rohingya brothers and sisters and other peoples of Myanmar who seek refuge,” he said. AAC

Duterte wants LGU officials to convince constituents to get vaccinated

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 26, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday urged local government officials to ramp up their respective COVID-19 vaccination programs.

“I urge LGUs to come up with the most systematic and efficient way of finding out who among your constituents have not yet vaccinated. Please do everything to convince them to get vaccinated,” he said during his weekly public address.

Duterte reported that as of October 24, the country has administered 55.7 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine, where around 30 million were given as first doses and 25 million as second doses.

He added that the national government aims to fully vaccinate 50 million citizens by the end of the year.

“We also need to ramp up vaccination rate in various LGUs in order to reach our target of inoculating 50 million fully-vaccinated individuals by the end of the year,” Duterte said.

The president added that vaccine supply allocated for far-flung provinces must not expire and should preserve its integrity.

” Yung mga bakuna na sana umabot na doon sa pinakamalayong lugar and the provincial, city, and
municipal health officials will take over. Ang concern ko lang naman is that they would be able to preserve the integrity of the vaccines. That is very important. Ibig sabihin na hindi expired, walang sira, hindi ma-contaminate and all,” he said. AAC

Duterte welcomes Senate panel’s move to challenge his memo before SC

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 26, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday (October 25) welcomed the move of the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee to challenge his memorandum before the Supreme Court (SC).

Duterte assured they will defend the memorandum prohibiting Executive Department officials from attending the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee hearings on the procurement of pandemic supplies. The Senate panel wants to challenge the legality of Duterte’s said memo.

“At last, the members of the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee have finally seen the light. We welcome this move of bringing the legality of the memorandum to the Supreme Court and we would like to congratulate the members for realizing, albeit late. That it is the court which should eventually decide on the constitutionality of the order and we will defend it,” the President said during his weekly public address aired Monday night.

“This is by far the most decent thing the committee has done and we are most eager to answer whatever questions you have regarding my not allowing officials of the Executive to attend your hearings that are legislative purposes,” he added.

The president again criticized the panel’s way of questioning resource persons, saying executive officials are made to wait for a long time but are not called to speak.

“Iyong mga tao ko sa gobyerno, iyong ipinapatawag ninyo at pahintayin ninyo ng ilang oras at hindi naman ninyo tatawagin at kung nandoon iniinsulto ninyo, para bang walang alam,” he said.

Duterte added that the SC is the only venue where the disagreement with the Senate panel may be settled.

“You have to be courteous if you want to be treated with courtesy,” he said. AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.