Sotto: Source who divulged 2016 electoral fraud is credible
admin • March 22, 2018 • 3509
FILE PHOTO: Senator Vicente “Tito” Sotto III
MANILA, Philippines — On the program Get It Straight with Daniel Razon on Tuesday, the country’s second-highest official, Vice President Leni Robredo said that it is impossible to have irregularities in the 2016 national polls.
This was her reaction to the privilege speech of Sen. Tito Sotto last March 6 where the latter alleged that there had been foreign access to Smartmatic servers and premature transmission of election results in Libon, Albay before May 9, 2016 — which was election day.
“Ito paniwala ko, kung may dayaan noong eleksyon, lumabas na dapat,” said Robredo.
(This is what I believe, if there was election fraud, it should’ve surfaced already.)
When asked if Sotto was misled, the vice president said, “Hindi naman. Napakasweeping naman para sabihin ko ‘yon pero isa iyon sa mga possibilities.”
(Not really. It’s a sweeping generalization to say that; but it’s a possibility.)
Sen. Sotto hit back saying VP Robredo is not the subject of his criticisms.
“My question now, itatanong ko sa kanya: bakit? Siya ba ang nakinabang doon? Why are they questioning it? Sila ba ang nakinabang? Wala naman akong binabanggit,” said the senator.
(My question to her now is: why? Was she the one who benefited from it? Why are they questioning it? Did they benefit from it? I have not said anything.)
“I have nothing to show. I have nothing to do with Marcos and Robredo. I have nothing to do with Tolentino and De Lima, so he [source] thought that I would be the best person to show what he has and what he has gotten from the Smartmatic itself,” he said.
Sen. Sotto believes that his source is credible and is ready to face the probe of the Senate Committee on Electoral Reforms in April.
Officials of Comelec and Smartmatic will also be called to the scheduled hearing. — Mai Bermudez | UNTV News & Rescue
MANILA, Philippines — Presidential aspirants Isko Moreno, Bongbong Marcos, Manny Pacquiao, and Leni Robredo individually sent assistance to areas severely hit by Typhoon Odette and addressed the problem of not having sufficient drinking water in these areas.
Manila Mayor Francisco ‘Isko Moreno’ Domagoso on Monday said he sent a team from the Manila Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (MDRRMO) to Cebu City to help in the clearing operations in the area and provide clean drinking water with the use of the water filtration machine that the team brought.
MDRRMO Director Arnel Angeles said water tankers went around the city to provide the needs of Cebu City residents for potable water.
Former Senator Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos, on the other hand, sent gallons of drinking water and filtration kits to the victims of Typhoon Odette.
Marcos noted the importance of filtration kits as residents in the typhoon-hit areas were left without a good source of clean drinking water.
He said this is the same problem that was seen and experienced by his team when they sent help to areas ravaged by Typhoon Yolanda in 2013.
The BBM-Sara tandem promised to continue sending assistance to the areas that were hit by Odette.
Meanwhile, Senator Manny Pacquiao expressed concern over the effects of the shortage of drinking water on the health of the people in the typhoon-ravaged areas.
He said that he has been receiving reports that people in these areas were rendered helpless and just get drinking water from unsafe sources.
Pacquiao said that his team is scouting from suppliers of water filtration systems and portable toilets to be set up in evacuation centers.
Vice President Leni Robredo, in the meantime, said she will send 30 tons of drinking water to the provinces of Cebu and Bohol.
Robredo thanked her volunteers who helped and sent assistance to the typhoon victims. —/mbmf (from the report of UNTV Correspondent Nel Maribojoc)
MANILA, Philippines – Vote buying is an election offense “regardless of financial situation or noble intentions,” Commission on Elections (COMELEC) spokesperson James Jimenez said Wednesday.
Jimenez made the remark a day after Vice President Leni Robredo said that Filipinos should take the money being offered to them but still vote for their preferred candidate.
Robredo, a presidential aspirant and standard bearer of the opposition for the 2022 elections, on Tuesday said that Filipinos who are offered money in exchange for their vote should accept the money but still vote according to their conscience.
While vote buying is illegal, she said that individuals engaging in such act is hard to apprehend as it is not done in public and the money could now be transferred electronically.
She made the response when asked on the issue of vote buying during a forum with a group of household service workers who support her election bid.
“Lagi kong sinasabi, tanggapin niyo kasi galing sa inyo ‘yan. Pera ‘yan ng taumbayan. Pero iboto mo kung ano ang nasa konsiyensiya mo,” Robredo said.
But Jimenez countered Robredo’s statement.
“I disagree with the notion of taking the money and voting according to your conscience. Vote buying is an election offense regardless of financial situation or noble intentions,” he said.
“Di dapat ginagawa, at di dapat sina-suggest yan sa mga botante,” he added.
I disagree with the notion of taking the money and voting according to your conscience. Vote buying is an election offense regardless of financial situation or noble intentions. Di dapat ginagawa, at di dapat sina-suggest yan sa mga botante.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.