Superstorm Sandy, nagdulot ng malawakang brownout

admin   •   October 30, 2012   •   2455

Residents of Brighton Beach, Brooklyn, NY awaits the arrival of Hurricane Sandy despite the U.S. Government ‘s advise of evacuating their respective areas before the expected landfall of Sandy tonight, October 29th, 2012. (UNTV / PHOTOVILLE International / Aaron Romero)

NEW YORK, United States − Patuloy ang pananalasa ng superstorm sandy sa North Eastern part ng America matapos nitong mag land fall bandang alas 7 ng gabi kahapon EST sa Atlantic City, sa New Jersey.

Mahigit sa tatlong milyong residente ng New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Connecticut at iba pang North Eastern states ang walang kuryente sa kasalukuyan.

Isa nga rito ang Nyu Langone Medical Center  kung saan 200 pasyente nito ang inilikas dahil sa malawakang power blackout.

Ilang mga lugar naman sa New York na malapit sa coastal areas ang lubog na sa tubig baha dahil sa matinding ulan at storm surge na dulot ng Superstorm Sandy.

Dahil sa baha, isinara na ang tatlong pangunahing paliparan na Laguardia,  John F. Kennedy at Newark Liberty.

Maging ang mga Subway Station sa Lower Manhattan hanggang sa mga tunnel na dumudugtong sa Brooklyn ay isinara na.

Samantala, patuloy na nadaragdagan ang bilang ng mga nasasawi sa pananalasa ng Superstorm Sandy.

Sa habang isinusulat ang balitang ito ay umakyat na sa 11 ang namatay sa North East States bunsod ng mga hurricane-related accident.

Inaasahang mananatili sa North Eastern States si Sandy particular sa New York hanggang hapon ng Miyerkules na may hanggang 80 miles per hour na hangin at magdudulot din ng alon ng hanggang 13 feet. (Aaron Romero / UNTV News)

Ang ilan sa mga punong nabuwal dito sa Brooklyn, New York dahil sa lakas ng hanging dala ni Hurricane Sandy. (UNTV / PHOTOVILLE International / Ernesto Papas Fernandez)

Filipina nurse dies after being knocked down in Times Square NYC

UNTV News   •   October 11, 2021

A Filipina nurse in the United States died on Sunday from injuries sustained after she was knocked to the ground in Times Square, New York.

The Philippine Consulate General in New York identified the victim as Maria Ambrocio from New Jersey.

“We grieve with the rest of the Filipino Community over the death of our kababayan, Maria Ambrocio, a 58-year-old health frontliner from Bayonne, New Jersey, who is the latest victim of deranged individuals on the loose in New York City,” the Consulate General said in a statement.

She had been on life support for the head trauma she sustained on Friday afternoon after she was knocked down by someone who was described as a mentally disturbed homeless man.

Ambrocio was walking with a fellow Filipino near Times Square after visiting the Philippine Consulate General when she was struck by the suspect who was reportedly being chased after grabbing a mobile phone from someone.

“We have joined calls for authorities to take the necessary steps, including heightened police visibility, to protect the public after we noted the surge in anti-Asian hate incidents that targeted some of our kababayan,” the consulate said.

“We also supported calls for authorities to take the necessary measures to address mental health issues, especially among the homeless,” it added.

“We reiterate these calls as we mourn our loss, but we also ask ourselves: How many more Maria Ambrocios do we have to mourn before the streets would be made safe again?” the consulate further said.

The show won’t go on: Broadway closed on coronavirus fears

Robie de Guzman   •   March 13, 2020

Broadway theaters, among New York’s biggest tourist attractions, were shut down for a month on Thursday (March 12) in a bid to limit the spread of the coronavirus in the city.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced a ban on all gatherings of more than 500 people, including theatres, starting on Thursday evening. Most Broadway theatres have around 1,000 seats.

The Broadway League said in a statement that shows would be suspended until April 13. They include crowd-pleasers like “Hamilton,” “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child,” and “To Kill a Mockingbird.”

The decision was part of a range of extraordinary measures in the nation’s biggest city. Some 328 people in New York are confirmed to have the disease, Cuomo said.

The spreading virus has already led to cancellation or postponement of dozens of U.S. entertainment industry events, including the Coachella and South by Southwest festivals, CinemaCon, the E3 videogames convention and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

Broadway was spooked on Wednesday (March 11) when an usher who had worked at two New York theatres tested positive for coronavirus. Owners of the two venues said they had ordered deep cleanings and their shows went ahead on Wednesday.

Television talk shows “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert,” “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon,” and “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver” said they would tape their broadcasts in New York venues without audiences going forward.

Several Broadway plays and musicals had previously put a halt to cast members greeting fans and signing programs at stage doors.

Some 14.8 million tickets were sold for Broadway shows in the 2018-2019 season that ended in May, bringing $1.8 billion in box office receipts, according to the Broadway League. Some 63% of those going to shows were tourists, from outside the United States or outside New York.

“Our top priority has been and will continue to be the health and well-being of Broadway theatergoers and the thousands of people who work in the theatre industry every day, including actors, musicians, stagehands, ushers, and many other dedicated professionals,” Charlotte St. Martin, president of the Broadway League, said in a statement on Friday. (Reuters)

(Production by: Catherine Koppel and Hussein al Waaile)

New York reports more cases of new coronavirus, state now has six

UNTV News   •   March 5, 2020

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo

The number of people ill with the new coronavirus has risen to six in New York state, Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Wednesday (March 4).

New York’s Yeshiva University said one of its students had tested positive for COVID-19, and it was canceling all classes on Wednesday at one of its four New York City campuses as a “precautionary step” while it worked with authorities on how to best prepare and keep its students safe.

On Tuesday (March 3), officials said a man in his 50s who lives in a New York City suburb and works at a Manhattan law firm tested positive for the virus, the second identified case in the state. Health authorities said one of his children was a student at Yeshiva University.

The man has severe pneumonia and is hospitalized, officials said. The patient had not traveled to countries hardest hit in the coronavirus outbreak, which began in China in December and is now present in nearly 80 countries and territories, killing more than 3,000 people.

Of the six cases of people with coronavirus in New York, only one is hospitalized, Cuomo said at a news conference.

The four new cases include three family members of the hospitalized man, New York Mayor Bill De Blasio said in a statement. The fourth was a neighbor, according to media reports.

“There are going to be many, many people who test positive. By definition, the more you test, the more people you will find who test positive,” Cuomo said.

New York wants to get the state’s capacity for testing for the virus to up to 1,000 a day, he said.

“The people who we are most concerned about, who are most vulnerable are senior citizens, people with immune comprised situations. What we’re worried about: nursing home setting, senior care setting. That’s what we’ve seen in other places and that’s where the situation is most problematic.”

At least one school in the Bronx neighborhood of New York City closed on Tuesday. The SAR Academy and SAR High School remained closed on Wednesday, but online classes were taking place, according to a man with a child at the school.

A synagogue in New Rochelle, New York, where the family of the hospitalized man lives said on Tuesday it was halting “all services immediately and for the foreseeable future.”

The latest data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) listed 108 confirmed and presumed cases in the United States. That tally consists of 60 reported by public health authorities in 12 states plus 48 among people repatriated from abroad, most of them from an outbreak aboard the Diamond Princess cruise liner in Japan.

Nine people have died in the Seattle area, health officials said. Washington state in the Pacific Northwest has the largest concentration of coronavirus cases detected to date in the United States with 27 people infected as of Tuesday. (REUTERS CONNECT)

(Production: Dan Fastenberg)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.