SWS: Most Filipinos believe cops are involved in drugs, EJK, planting of evidence
by Aileen Cerrudo | Posted on Thursday, February 28th, 2019
QUEZON CITY, Philippines — The Social Weather Stations survey (SWS) showed that 68 percent of Filipinos believe that the allegations against policemen accused of involvement in illegal drug trade, are true.
With regard to policemen who are being linked to extra-judicial killings, 66 percent of Filipinos believe the accusations to be true.
Meanwhile, 58 percent of Filipinos believe that policemen are also guilty of planting evidence against arrested suspects.
The survey was conducted from December 16-19, 2018 through face-to-face interviews of 1,440 adults, aged 18 years old and above, nationwide.
The Philippine National Police (PNP), has previously announced that they will intensify internal cleansing of their ranks to identify policemen involved in anomalous activities such as illegal drug trade. This was after two cops in Ormoc city were nabbed during a buy-bust operation.
“The arrest of these policemen proves that we are relentless in our internal cleansing campaign. We will not tolerate this kind of illegal activity as those arrested will face criminal and administrative charges,” Chief Supt. Ariel Arcinas, PNP Eastern Visayas deputy regional director, told reporters on February 21.
PNP Spokesperson P/SSupt. Bernard Banac reiterated that the PNP follows a proper process in fighting illegal drugs and respects human rights and the value of life.
“Katunayan nito, mayroon na tayong mga bilang nga mga PNP personnel na na-dismis na, nasibak na sa pagiging pulis nila. Naibahagi natin kanina, na yung mga uniformed personnel ay 69. Lahat po na yan ay natanggal na sa PNP at hindi natin gusto na sila ay manatili sa ating hanay. At yung pong mga napaulat noon na may na-involve na pulis natin sa pagpatay, well, yun po ay kinasuhan, inaresto, nakakulong ngayon,” Banac said.
(In fact, we have a number of PNP personnel who have been dismissed. We reported a number of 69 uniformed personnel, all of them were dismissed from PNP. We do not want them to remain in our ranks. Those policemen involved in killing have been charged and arrested. They are now detained.) — Aileen Cerrudo with reports from PNA
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Thursday, April 25th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) has started its investigation on the Chuzon Supermarket building in Porac, Pampanga that collapsed shortly after Monday’s magnitude 6.1 earthquake that hit several Luzon areas.
PNP Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) region 3 chief Col. Cris Abrahano said they have started probing some of the documents obtained, including the floor and building plans and the list of Chuzon grocery employees in its Porac branch.
Abrahano said they will use these documents to help assess the structural integrity of Chuzon grocery and whether this was built using sub-standard materials. They will also probe if the building had complied with all the necessary requirements for construction.
Authorities are also planning to talk with several witnesses, building experts and concerned government agencies regarding thee investigation.
“Subject ng investigation natin ‘yun dahil kailangan natin ang tulong ng building official diyan at ng DPWH na siya namang naatasan na mag-enforce ng building code, so isa ‘yan sa subject ng investigation natin,” Abrahano said.
The PNP-CIDG’s investigation comes after the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) ordered an assessment of all Chuzon supermarket buildings’ structural integrity and the actual cause of the collapse of its branch in Porac.
The DPWH earlier said that although a private establishment, there is still a need to check on the cause of the structural failure as the building was constructed only four years ago.
A forensic investigation is also being conducted on the samples taken from the collapsed supermarket to determine the possible liability that may be faced by the owner of the supermarket.
“‘Yung kanilang explanation ang sinabi ay sub-standard materials, sinagot ni [DPWH] Sec. [Mark] Villar ‘yun e kahapon pero ang sabi nya ipapatawag muna yung may-ari para mag-shed light,” said Edgar Posadas, Director of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (NDRRMC).
President Rodrigo Duterte earlier ordered the suspension of business operations of Chuzon stores to give way to the investigation.
At least 16 people were killed in Monday’s quake, based on data from the NDRRMC.
Five of the fatalities were from the collapsed grocery store, seven from different barangays in Porac, two from Lubao and one in Pampanga. One fatality was also reported in San Marcelino, Zambales.
The PNP-CIDG said they will complete the investigation as soon as possible in order to file the appropriate charges.
“As soon as possible at as soon as maayos din yun mga technical inspection kasama yung DPWH at mainterview natin yung mga witnessess at ma-check ang mga papel na binigay nila sa amin. Kung mayroong mga lapses na makita ay mabigyan kaagad ng hustisya yung mga biktima natin,” Abrahano said. – Robie de Guzman
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Tuesday, April 16th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) vows to probe viral videos tagging individuals who are close to President Rodrigo Duterte in the illegal drug trade.
PNP Chief General Oscar Albayalde on Monday said they will take the initiative to track down those behind the videos which features a certain “Bikoy” though they have yet to receive any formal complaint.
Bikoy, who claimed to be a former member of a drug syndicate operating in Southern Luzon and Visayas, had tagged presidential son Paolo Duterte and former Special Assistant to the President Bong Go in the narcotics trade.
He also said that both Duterte and Go have dragon tattoos on their backs that bear the alphanumeric codes from the drug transactions.
The video also tagged Agriculture Undersecretary Waldo Reyes Carpio as the owner of bank accounts used as Duterte’s dummy in the drug transaction.
Since April 2, there have been four episodes of the series entitled “Ang Totoong Narcolist” that were uploaded to social media.
Duterte had previously denied the accusation that he was one of the principals of a drug syndicate who received millions of pesos in kickbacks
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Thursday, April 11th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte’s net satisfaction rating rose by six percentage points in the first quarter of the year, based on the latest survey of the Social Weather Stations (SWS) released on Wednesday.
The poll, conducted from March 28 to 31 among 1,440 respondents, showed that Duterte’s net satisfaction rating remained in the ‘very good’ category after it went up from +60 in December to +66 in the first months of 2019.
The survey found that 79 percent of adult Filipinos were satisfied with the President’s performance, 13 percent were dissatisfied while 8 percent were undecided.
The first quarter rating of +66 ties with a personal high that Duterte set in June 2017.
SWS attributed the increase in Duterte’s net satisfaction rating to rise in his rating across Metro Manila, Balance Luzon and Visayas where he kept his “very good” rating.
He also maintained his “excellent rating” in Mindanao and enjoyed an increase in his satisfaction rating in all age groups and socio-economic classes.
Malacañang welcomed the latest survey of SWS, saying this only shows that the public is satisfied with Duterte’s performance despite critics’ efforts to malign his administration.
“The message of the survey is crystal clear. The more the critics and detractors malign PRRD [President Rodrigo Roa Duterte], the higher the rating he gets,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a statement.
“These political adversaries are being swallowed by their own hubris. Survey after survey they are being repudiated. They appear to be ensconced if not entangled in their own web of lies that they cannot unshackle themselves from it,” Panelo added.
But rather than continue the hate campaign against Duterte, Panelo urged the critics to “join the majority supporting Administration’s programs designed to serve and protect the nation and its citizenry and start contributing for the country’s progress.”
The Palace official also believes that the latest survey shows that Filipinos “see his sincerity in realizing his sacred vow to the electorate and witness the tangible results of his people-centered decisions and decisive actions that foster genuine and positive change.”
Panelo stressed that Duterte is working double time to fulfill his campaign promises to curb illegal drugs, corruption, criminality and insurgency in the country and to ensure that Filipinos will have comfortable lives during his term.
“No negative force will detract him from his goal of liberating the people from the causes that enslave them and stunt the growth of the country,” he added. – Robie de Guzman (with details from Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.