TESDA exec with alleged links to Abu Sayyaf Group nabbed
Marje Pelayo • June 25, 2019 • 1446
MANILA, Philippines – A high-ranking official of the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) was nabbed in a joint operation by soldiers and police for illegal possession of explosives in Isabela City, Basilan.
Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) Regional Field Unit 9 Chief PCol. Tom Tuzon said the suspect was identified as Muida Hataman, TESDA’s provincial director based in Basilan, believed to have links with the terrorist Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG).
Police Colonel Bernard Banac said Hataman was arrested early morning on Tuesday (June 25) at Barangay San Rafael in Isabela City as a warrant for her arrest was being served.
Seized from the suspect several materials in making explosives such as blasting cap, chemical ingredients, four cellular phones, and two laptop devices.
“Ang suspek ay kasalukuyang nasa kustodiya ng CIDG Region 9 at sumasailalim na po sa imbestigasyon at patuloy na inaalam ang posible pang kasamahan at iba pang gamit sa pampasabog na maaari pang nakatago sa ibang lugar,” PNP Spokesperson PCol. Banac said.
(The suspect is currently under the custody of the CIDG Region 9 and is now being investigated. [Authorities] are looking into some of her possible cohorts and other explosive materials that are still being kept somewhere.)
While the CIDG already received information that Hataman is connected to an ASG sub-unit, authorities are still verifying information regarding her identity as the investigation goes on.
“Patuloy pang inaalam ng mga taga CIDG kung ano ang kanyang background, kung meron ba siyang kinalaman sa grupong ASG at (kung) mayroong kamag anak at bakit nasa possession niya ang mga naturang gamit pampasabog,” Banac said.
(CIDG personnel are still verifying her background – if she has links to the ASG, any relative and why she was in possession of bomb making paraphernalia.)
Hataman is believed to be the wife of ASG sub leader Radzmir Janatul. – (with details from Lea Ylagan)
Four suspected members of Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) were arrested during the joint operation of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) in Zamboanga City on Thursday (September 26).
The arrested individuals were identified as Aljiver Habibula, Omar Julaspih, Rody Marail, and Nash Amik who are all from Sulu province and are currently residing at Barangay Baliwasan, Zamboanga City.
Recovered from the operation are ingredients for Improvised Explosive Device (IED).
According to the PNP, they have been monitoring the suspects for several days. They also clarified they have not received any threats of bombing in Zamboanga City.
“Batay sa briefing ng ating intelligence division ay wala naman talaga tayong threat tungkol diyan. Hindi rin natin masasabi kung ito ba ay may plano (attack) para sa ating fiesta pilar (Based on the briefing of our intelligence division, there are no threats. We also cannot say if they have a planned attack for our festival),” Police Regional Office 9 Spokesperson PMaj. Helen Galvez said.
However, according to AFP Western Mindanao Command Spokesperson Maj. Arvin John Encinas, they received a report last month about the ASG’s plan to bomb various areas in the country.
Encinas said this is a part of ASG’s retaliatory attack because their number continues to decrease.
“Maliit na lang iyan pero mayroon silang kakayahan to conduct IED attacks (They may be small but they still have the capacity to conduct IED attacks),” he warned.
Due to this, he reminded the public to immediately report to the authorities any suspicious individuals in their area.
They can contact the PRO-9 office at 0917 506 2000.—AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)
The Philippine National Police (PNP) will look into illegal drugs as possible motive for the ambush on former Pangasinan governor Amado Espino Jr.
The PNP said they are looking into all possible motives for the attack which include Espino’s campaign against illegal drugs during his term.
“Ang lahat ng ito ay tinitingnan ng mga posibleng anggulo. Wala pa naman talagang matukoy kung ano talagang dahilan (We are looking at all possible angles. We still haven’t figure out the real motive),” according to PNP Spokesperson Bernard Banac.
“Maaaring may mga sindikato na maaaring naapektuhan ng kanyang kampanya na iyan (There may be crime syndicates that were affected by his campaign),” Banac added.
The Philippine National Police (PNP) has formed tracker teams that will locate the heinous crime convicts that were released after benefitting from the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) credited to them.
The PNP said the tracker teams will be deployed after the 15-day grace period set by the president for the voluntary surrender of said convicts.
PNP chief P.Gen. Oscar Albayalde said the tracker teams are composed of police officers from the different provincial and regional offices of the Criminal Investigation and Detention Group (CIDG).
“We have institutionalized tracker teams and also we have yung tinatawag na [what we call] manhunt bravo, that goes after people with standing warrant of arrest,” the PNP chief said.
Albayalde said they are yet to take hold of the list of the released heinous crime convicts.
He has also directed the director of the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) to obtain a copy of the list and other information from the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) and the Department of Justice (DOJ).
“Meron tayong parallel coordination na ginagawa ng CIDG sa DOJ din so that will also know kung sino sino yung mga bibigyan din natin ng priority dito at kung meron din tayong dapat na sundin na procedure coming from the Department of Justice [We have parallel coordination that the CIDG conducts with the DOJ so they will also know those who will be given priority. We also have procedures that we have to follow from the Department of Justice],” Albayalde continued.
The PNP warns that they will consider those who will not surrender after the 15-day period as fugitives.
On Wednesday’s conference with the Malacanang Press Corps, the President ordered to capture, dead or alive, those who will not surrender and will violently resist arrest.
“Kung yan ay nanlaban o lalaban sa ating arresting officers baka magkaroon ng disgrasya [If they fought or will fight back against the arresting officers, problems might arise],” Albayalde added.
He also urged the public to call PNP hotline No. 09178475757 for any information that they may have regarding the released convits. (with reports from Lea Ylagan) /mbmf
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.