Thousands of Kapa members join Gensan rally against gov’t crackdown
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Thursday, June 13th, 2019
Members of the Kapa Community Ministry International on Thursday gathered in a prayer rally in General Santos City in Mindanao to appeal against the government’s crackdown on the group’s alleged investment scam.
Thousands of the group’s members coming from different areas in Luzon and Visayas arrived at the Sports Complex, Calumpang since Wednesday to join the event.
The rally was held after President Rodrigo Duterte ordered an intensified crackdown against the group’s alleged operation of investment scams.
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) earlier said criminal complaints will be filed against the officials of Kapa Ministry for operating a fraudulent investment scheme.
SEC Chairman Emilio Aquino said Kapa Ministry solicited what it called “donations,” promising returns as high as 30 percent per month without the appropriate secondary license for investment products.
The commission already issued an advisory against Kapa’s activities in March 2017 and a cease-and-desist order in February 2019.
The Court of Appeals (CA) earlier ordered the freezing of several bank accounts and other assets linked to Kapa upon the petition of the SEC and the Anti-Money Laundering Council.
Amid the crackdown, some of Kapa members belied that their investment scheme was a scam.
Kapa president and co-founder, pastor Joel Apolinario has yet to show up in the group’s gathering in General Santos City.
He, however, sent a message explaining to his members that he chose not to attend Thursday’s rally to avoid any chaos should authorities try to arrest him during the event.
Rene Catubigan, an official lecturer of Kapa Ministry, claimed that Apolinario will meet with Duterte when he arrives in Davao City later Thursday. The president is scheduled to travel to General Santos City on June 13 to attend a public engagement.
Catubigan said Apolinario is likely to personally explain Kapa’s investment scheme and appeal to the president to stop the crackdown against their group.
“Ang mga representative ng Kapa, if not the founder himself, pupunta sa Davao at makikipagkita sa ating mahal na pangulo,” he said.
“Hindi siguro ako ang right person [to say it] pero my speculation is that they will be talking about the legalities of Kapa if there are any changes,” he added.
Kapa Ministry members hope that the president will listen to their plea. (with details from Janice Ingente)
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Tuesday, June 25th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday said he would name Cebu City Police Office Director Colonel Royina Garma as the next general manager of the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO).
Duterte announced this during the premiere night of the feature film “Kontradiksyon” at a mall in Mandaluyong City.
The president said Garma, who has been in the police service for more than 20 years, will be replacing Alexander Balutan.
Balutan, a retired military general, resigned last March citing personal reasons for leaving the post.
Duterte appointed Balutan in 2016 but his stint in the PCSO was marred by allegations of improper spending when the agency held a luxurious party at a five-star hotel for its employees and guests in December. (with details from Grace Casin)
by Aileen Cerrudo | Posted on Tuesday, June 25th, 2019
President Rodrigo Duterte apologized to the Recto 22 after he reiterated that the abandonment of the 22 fishermen was just a “maritime incident”.
During the premiere of the movie “Kontradiksyon,” Duterte told reporters that the incident did not result in any confrontation.
“Well, I’m sorry, but that’s how it is,” he said. “They know that that area is claimed by both. For China, it happened within their jurisdiction. For us [it happened] within our jurisdiction. We have two conflicting claims of ownership.”
The Filipino boat captain previously expressed disappointment over Duterte’s remarks when he said the allision was only a “maritime incident”.
A Filipino vessel was allegedly hit by a Chinese vessel on June 9. The Filipino fishermen were abandoned at sea and were saved by Vietnamese fishermen after a few hours.
Duterte clarified that he is not belittling the situation. However, he said that it would not justify sending military troops to the area.
“It’s a maritime incident. ‘Little’ in the sense that it did not result in any confrontation. This not to belittle anything. There was damage but luckily nobody died,” he said. “That is not a reason to go to any military exercise there. If you do that, that’s war.”—AAC
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Tuesday, June 25th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – A minor reshuffle is expected to take place soon in the Cabinet of President Rodrigo Duterte, a highly placed source said on Monday.
The source, who requested anonymity for lack of authority to divulge this information to media, said Duterte is mulling over moving some officials amid ongoing evaluation of all departments’ performances.
The source said the revamp may include Department of Agriculture Secretary Manny Piñol, who may be transferred to the Mindanao Development Authority.
The President may announce the possible Cabinet revamp next month, the source said. (with details from Grace Casin)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.