Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

UNTV EXCLUSIVE: PNP discloses components of IED used in Isulan blast

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Friday, August 31st, 2018

The components used in building the IED that rocked the town of Isulan in Sultan Kudarat on August 28, 2018 | PRO 12

 

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) has deployed bomb experts to Isulan, Sultan Kudarat to examine the components of the improvised explosive device (IED) recovered from the blast site.

PNP Chief Oscar Albayalde said the team of experts is expected to help the authorities identify the group behind the explosion on Tuesday night (August 28) that horrified the community and killed three civilians.

Based on the images acquired by UNTV, the suspects in the blast used a cellular phone as a triggering device. Its power source was a 9 volts battery and the body or the container was formed using a barrel of a water pump.

Initial reports suggested that the power source and the triggering device in the Isulan blast were similar to those recovered in the botched explosion at Unitop Koronadal on August 18 during the celebration of the Koronadal International Folklore Festival.

A similar water pump was also used in the IED recovered in the failed explosion at the camp of the Philippine Army 33rd Infantry Batallion in Datu Paglas, Maguindanao in July.

Given the characteristics of the IED components, Albayalde ordered bomb experts to identify if the persons behind the Isulan blast were the same persons who planted the IEDs in the previous bombing attempts.

Since the explosion on Tuesday, speculations about several groups masterminding the blast surfaced, implicating the Abu Sayyaf Group and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF), or the Dawla Islamiya Abu Turaife Group.

“Iyong bomb data center pinapunta natin doon to collate yun para makita kung ano talaga itong signature, kung saan galing or kung sino may gawa nitong IED na ito,” Albayalde said.

Reports, however, surfaced that the explosion in Isulan was claimed by the international terror group ISIS.

Meanwhile, Albayalde admits that the authorities in Mindanao did not expect the explosion to happen despite heightened security measures being imposed in the region. In fact, 260 security personnel were deployed to man the celebration of the Humangaya Festival.

“Nung nakita na suspicious nung nakita na sinisipa or inuusog yung bag sa ilalim  ng motorsiklo hinabol na itong taong ito but then lumalabas na meron pa syang kasama na rider na nagmamaneho doon sa isang motorsiklo sa may kanto ng may Honda so doon 
sila nakatakbo at hindi nahabol ng CAFGU at sumabog na from there yung IED,” the PNP Chief explained.

During a closed-door meeting with members of Police Regional Office 12 in Isulan, a facial composite sketch of the suspect was presented to Albayalde. The description shows a medium built male suspect of 5’6 to 5’7” in height.  He was wearing a black shirt and dark colored pants with a black backpack, based on the accounts of the three witnesses. — Lea Ylagan / Marje Pelayo

 

Tags: , , , ,

Father-and-daughter local execs ambushed in La Union, not in drugs watch list – PNP

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Thursday, November 15th, 2018

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) revealed on Thursday (November 15) that Vice Mayor Alfred Concepcion and his daughter Mayor Aleli Concepcion were not on the police drug watch list.

The father and daughter tandem were ambushed in Balaoan, La Union on Tuesday (November 14).

According to PNP Chief Oscar Albayalde, there was no previous report of the two local executive’s involvement in illegal drugs trade.

“Wala naman so far. I just don’t know in the region,” Albayalde said.

So far, there are no witnesses surfacing to testify on the case while the PNP Region 1 police are doing the investigation.

“The more important thing here is the witness who can give full account or give suspects or persons of interest dito sa mga incidents na ganyan. Napakaimportante kasi na kapag may nakakita, kailangan pong pumunta sa pulisya para makunan ng statement at ma-solve ang crime,” the PNP Chief explained.

Albayalde noted that La Union is considered as among the election hot spots due to intense political rivalry. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

Tags: , ,

PNP to probe death of lawyer who assisted in Sagay farmers’ slay case

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Thursday, November 8th, 2018

Atty. Benjamin Tarug Ramos Jr. | Image courtesy to Atty. Edre Olalia via Facebook 

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) condemns the killing of Atty. Benjamin Tarug Ramos Jr.

Ramos, a founding member of the National Union of People’s Lawyers, was among those who first assisted in the case of slain nine sugarcane farmers in Sagay city.

Ramos was gunned down in Kabankalan City, Negros Occidental on the evening of Tuesday (November 6) by unidentified perpetrators.

Police Regional Office 6 Director, PCSupt. John Bulalacao said the lawyer sustained three gunshot wounds on his chest and died on his way to the hospital.

“The victim sustained 3 gunshot wounds on his chest and was brought to Holy Mother Mercy Hospital in Kabankalan City but was pronounced dead on arrival by the attending physician,” he said.
An investigation on the murder of Ramos is underway. – UNTV News and Rescue

 

Tags: , ,

PNP: Themed costumes among security guards strictly prohibited

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, November 7th, 2018

 

Security guards in themed costumes

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – Security guards are no longer allowed to don themed costumes on duty.

The Philippine National Police (PNP) Supervisory Office on Security and Investigation Agency (SOSIA) on Wednesday (November 7) reminded security agencies that themed costumes will no longer be allowed to security guards on duty.

Themed costumes are common in commercial establishments during holidays.

Last Sunday (November 4) members of the PNP SOSIA accosted the administrator of a mall in Quezon City for letting their security personnel wear themed costumes.

According to PNP-SOSIA Enforcement Management Division OIC PSupt. Jaime Santos, such a practice is considered a security risk and only leads to confusion especially in times of emergency that is why it is strictly prohibited.

“Maaari kasing gayahin ito or magsuot ng ganito ang mga sindikato o grupo na gumawa ng krimen doon sa loob ng mall kaya malaking factor na di dapat sila magsuot ng ganyan dahil nangyari na iyan before sa isang mall na pinasok ng martilyo gang,” Santos said.

The security agency of security guards accosted by the PNP was ordered to pay P400,000. Authorities also confiscated the service firearms of their security guards.

“Kapag naging recidivist sila o habitual at di nila pinakikinggan ang aming sanction sa kanila ang mangyayari nya ay mag oorder ang chief SOSIA na i-tag, na i-suspend na ang kanilang license pati iyong mismong operator,” warned Santos.

Meanwhile, the PNP also noted that security measures in malls will be stricter this coming holiday season due to the expected influx of mall goers, the time when lawless elements are in their active operations.

“Muli ang aming paalala kapag may insidente at pangyayari sa mga business establishments, mga malls kaagad yung mga bantay sa entrances ay tumawag agad ng kanilang response team at wag nila iiwanan ang entrance dahil ang seguridad, maaaring diversionary tactics lamang ito … at tuloy tuloy na ang pasok ng mga magnanakaw,” advised PSSupt. Bernard Banac, SOSIA Assistant Chief.

The PNP is set to deploy patrol units at the outside vicinity of malls for quick response in case any untoward incidents happen inside the establishments. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

Tags: , ,