Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

UNTV, MCGI extend assistance to stranded Filipinos in Hong Kong

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, September 19th, 2018

A UNTV volunter distributing snack packs to stranded Filipinos in Hong Kong International Airport.

HONG KONG – Some Filipino tourists were robbed of their dream vacation after a strong signal number 10 Typhoon Mangkhut battered the island state over the weekend.

Some of them were first time travelers who did not expect that their excitement would end up in dismay because instead of a comfortable hotel bed, they were compelled to sleep on chairs and eat at the airport.

“Ang hirap po dahil, ang mahal po ng pagkain dito. Tapos wala man lang pong nag-assist sa amin, ni tubig or mahigaan man lang dahil napakalamig po ng sahig dito,” said one Filipino who refused to be identified.

Some of them were vacationing Filipino workers.

Janice Ebo was supposed to take a vacation home in the Philippines. But she did not hear any advisory from her airline company regarding the cancellation of her flight. She was only informed upon her arrival at the airport.

“Hindi ako naabisuhan na na-cancel pala iyong 11:30 na flight, so nakapunta na ako dito,” she said.

Janice was just among the few stranded Filipinos at Hong Kong International Airport who received assistance from volunteers of UNTV and Members, Church of God International (MCGI). Aside from providing them with snacks and drinks, the group also coordinated with the concerned airline companies for immediate rebooking of flights of the stranded Filipinos.

“Napakaswerte namin, kahit ganito ang nangyari sa amin. Hindi pa rin po kami pinababayaan ni Kuya Daniel, salamat po Kuya Daniel sa tulong ninyo po sa amin. Nawa’y magpatuloy po ang kabaitan mo sa ibang tao sa katulad naming OFW na nagtatrabaho, dito. Sana marami pang blessings na darating sa iyo,” Janice said.

Susan Degula and Venus Ragragio, also among the stranded Filipinos, expressed gratitude to the UNTV and MCGI for their assistance.

“Kung hindi po dahil sa inyo, hindi po kami makakauwi agad. Maraming-maraming salamat po sa inyong lahat,” said Susan. – Marje Pelayo (with report from Ferdie Petalio)

Tags: , , , ,

Migrante HK launches online petition to oust Rep. John Bertiz

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, October 3rd, 2018

 

Migrante HK’s online petition #BertizAliz | Screenshot via change.org

 

HONG KONG – Filipino labor group Migrante in Hong Kong launched an online petition seeking support to call for the removal of Congressman Anecito “John” Bertiz III as representative of ACTS-OFW Party-list.

The petition #BertizAliz has gained 66 signatures as of 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday (October 3) on www.change.org.

Based on the petition, Bertiz has conflict of interest being the owner of two recruitment agencies. Bertiz is the president and chief executive officer of Global Asia Alliance Consultant Incorporated, one of the largest recruitment agencies in the country.

Aside from this, the group criticized Bertiz as rude and impolite to overseas Filipino workers who he is supposedly representing.

Bertiz drew flak over a brawl with an OFW leader in Hong Kong last year.

According to Eman Villanueva, the secretary general of Unifil-Migrante HK, what’s best for Bertiz at this point is to resign.

“Baka mas maganda pa po yung magresign bilang isang graceful exit sa malaking iskandalo na nangyaring ito. Baka mas ma appreciate pa po yun ng ating mga OFW at ng ating mga kababayan. Gayunpaman po nananawagan din kami sa gobyerno ni President Duterte na ‘yun pong mga kahilingan naming na pinaabot noon sa DOLE ay hindi pa po naaksyunan kagaya noong OEC, ‘yun pong problema sa recruitment agencies eh aksyunan naman po kasi hindi naman kami natulungan ni Congressman Bertiz baka ‘yung ibang opisyal po natin tulungan po kami sa mga problemang iyan,” Villanueva said. – Marje Pelayo

Tags: , , ,

Bugoy to Wish FM’s Kuya Daniel: ‘Thank you for granting my greatest wish’

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, September 26th, 2018

Bugoy Drilon in his sold-out first major solo concert, “Bugoy: One Day, One Decade” at the KIA Theater, September 25, 2018

 

QUEZON CITY, Philippines OPM act Bugoy Drilon marked a decade of musical journey with his sold-out first major solo concert, “Bugoy: One Day, One Decade” at the KIA Theater last Tuesday, September 25.

Performing before a jam-packed house, the 28-year old recording artist showcased his versatility by rendering hits from various music genres — reggae, retro, ballad and pop.

 

Produced by Wish 107.5, with the support of its partners UNTV, Radyo La Verdad, Star Music, and Star Events, Drilon’s anniversary show impressed with a star-studded line-up of guest performers, including his music buddies, R&B crooners Daryl Ong and Michael Pangilinan, pop-rock superstar Yeng Constantino, soul supreme KZ Tandingan, The Voice runner-up and pop belter Klarisse De Guzman, Pinoy Dream Academy Season 2 scholars Liezel Garcia, Cris Pastor, Hansen Nichols and Miguel Mendoza, Wishcovery’s grand champion Princess Sevillena and runners-up Kimberly Baluzo, Louie Anne Culala, Carmela Ariola, and Ace Bartolome.

 

Bugoy Drilon performing with Soul Supreme KZ Tandingan

 

From his humble beginnings as a farmer and a maintenance worker to recording artist, Bugoy has come a long way with his passion for music.

As the singer walked down memory lane and revisited his music throughout the years, he expressed gratitude to Wish 107.5’s innovator Kuya Daniel Razon.

“Thank you for granting my greatest wish – to have my own solo concert. Thank you for this great opportunity to show my talent,” said Bugoy.

Above all, he said he is thankful to God for the gift of singing, a talent he can share with the world.

For Kuya Daniel, a staunch supporter of Original Pinoy Music (OPM), the show is part of Wish 1075’s commitment to be the Filipino talents’ gateway to the world.

The concert concluded with Bugoy’s power performance of Matisyahu’s “One Day”, a song he first performed as a Wishclusive rendition in the Wish Bus with over 80 million views on YouTube. — Yssa Jalmasco (with reports from Mon Jocson)

Tags: , , , , , ,

Hong Kong residents relieved as clean up continues after super typhoon

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, September 19th, 2018

 

 

Hong Kong Victoria Harbor | REUTERS

Workers in Hong Kong continued the cleanup and repair operation on Tuesday (September 18) after a typhoon, dubbed the “King of Storms”, struck over the weekend.

Super typhoon Mangkhut, with hurricane-force winds well over 200 kilometers per hour (124 miles/h), barreled past the northern tip of the Philippines, killing at least 54 people. It then skirted south of Hong Kong and the neighboring gambling hub of Macau, before making landfall in China.

The city has been trying to clear scores of felled trees and bamboo scaffolding which have been blocking roads and on Monday contributed to severe disruption to commuters. Some buildings, including the One Harbourfront office tower, had many windows smashed after a day in which some of the city’s skyscrapers had swayed with the ferocious gusts.

Residents said they were relieved that public transportation has resumed.

The China Meteorological Administration said Mangkhut was one of the 10 biggest storms to hit southeast China since 1949 – when records began – with wind speeds at around 162 km/h. — Reuters

Tags: , ,