BENGUET, Philippines – The provincial government has advised vegetable farmers to harvest their crops before it is too late as a strong cyclone is expected to hit the country.
Benguet Provincial Administrator Noel Ngolob also reminds them to refrain from nigh time delivery as roads can be slippery and dangerous amid the inclement weather.
“Kung pwede na silang makapag-harvest ng mga harvestable products, they will do it. Then we also have agreed that they will be advised not to travel at night kasi kung minsan dahil sa hinahabol nila iyong presyo ng gulay, they would want to bring their produce to the market immediately even during night time. Pero iyon ang mga time na delikado. As much as possible walang mag babiyahe ng gabi kapag nandito na ang bagyo,” Ngolob said.
In preparation for the potential super typhoon “Ompong,” some vegetable farmers, apart from early harvest, already placed plastic protections to save their crops.
As expected, vegetable prices surged in Benguet as farmers battle the impact of the inclement weather on their livelihood.
“Lahat na tumaas (ng) doble…Ang presyo ngayon (ay) masyado nang tumaas,” said vegetable grower Lito Diclas.
Some of the vegetables affected by price surge include:
Potato P35 to P42/kg
Cabbage P50 to P105/kg
Celery P100 to P250/kg
Cauliflower P100 to P250/kg
Meanwhile, prices of the following vegetables have marked down.
Green leeks P200 to P120/kg
Wombok P70 to P40/kg
Carrots P150 to P100/kg
The price of radish, however, remained stable at P100 per kilogram. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Grace Doctolero)
Trapped bus passenger films landslide in Philippines
Screengrab from the video of landslide filmed by Kersee Masilem | via Reuters
A woman trapped in a bus filmed falling rocks and trees being uprooted by a landslide on Sunday (November 4) in Benguet, a remote mountainous region on the Luzon island in the Philippines.
Kersee Masillem, who filmed the scene, was sitting on a bus which could not reverse as another vehicle was blocking the road behind it.
She watched soil and rocks slip down a hillside for several minutes as huge landslide, which uprooted trees, hit the mountainside filling the nearby road with debris.
Rocks can be heard bouncing off the bus and passengers screaming inside. No one is believed to have been injured.
The landslide took place at Man-asok near Buguias in the Benguet province, an area prone to landslides.
More than 60 people were killed in the province by landslides triggered by Typhoon Mangkhut in September. — Reuters
LGU suspends classes in 8 schools in Itogon, Benguet
BENGUET PROVINCE, Philippines – Classes have been suspended since last week for at least 2,000 elementary and high school students in the town of Itogon.
Itogon Mayor Victorio Palangdan ordered the suspension of eight schools in the municipality starting October 10.
This is because the said schools sit on areas which the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) declared as high risk.
“Nakakatakot because ang statement ng MGB-Manila sabi nila because saturated na ang soil, anytime babagsak ang mga eskwelahan na ito,” said Mayor Palangdan.
The local government cannot tell yet as to when they will order the resumption of classes as they have not identified a permanent relocation site for the students.
The LGU and the Department of Education (DepEd) are also awaiting the result of the re-assessment conducted by the MGB as to which schools are still safe for use or recommended for abandonment.
For now, the LGU is preparing learning tent centers as temporary classrooms. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Grace Doctolero)
‘Ompong’ deaths in the Cordilleras climb to 110; missing 25
Retrieval operations at the landslide site in Itogon, Benguet
BENGUET, Philippines – Authorities are pushing very hard to complete as soon as possible the retrieval of the remaining bodies under the rubble of the landslide that struck Barangay Ucab in the town of Itogon, Benguet.
The Office of the Civil Defense (OCD) has announced that it is already impossible to see signs of life under the rubble at this point after 11 days of search.
Presidential Adviser on Political Affairs Secretary Francis Tolentino agreed and called on the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) to step in.
“Siguro dapat si DSWD ay harapin na iyong mga pamilyang nag hihintay dyan. Ito na iyong community counseling siguro. Harapin na. Sabihin na na wala nang pagasang makitang buhay ang mga kamag anak. Ito na siguro ang meron kayong mga counselor dito na pwedeng magbigay ng stress debriefing, trauma counseling. Kayo na iyon,” he said.
Based on the latest tally of the Cordillera Risk Reduction and Management Council, as of September 26, the death toll in the aftermath of Typhoon Ompong in the entire Cordillera Region has hit 110 and 25 people are still missing.
In Barangay Ucab, the number of fatalities already climbed to 64 while 16 people remain missing. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Nel Maribojoc)