Water supply in Angat Dam not enough for Metro Manila in 2017

admin   •   February 16, 2016   •   10455

FILE PHOTO: Angat Dam

FILE PHOTO: Angat Dam

QUEZON CITY, Philippines — The water supply for Metro Manila is expected to be in critical condition next year.

The National Water Resources Board said, Angat Dam’s water supply for Metro Manila is only good until 2017 due to the increasing population and demand.

This means, water allocation for Metro Manila will be reduced and frequent water interruptions may be implemented.

Water supply for irrigations will be affected and can cause significant impact on the agricultural sector

As of now, water supply in Metro Manila is sufficient because the reserve is full due to the two typhoons that entered the country last year.But because the capacity of Angat Dam is fixed, it cannot adjust to the growing population and demand in Metro Manila.

NWRB deputy executive director, Engr. Jorge Estioko said, “The needs of Metro Manila is growing, due to the expansion of service areas. It cannot sustain the future water needs of Metro Manila.”

The solution of the government is to build dams. These would be: Laiban Dam and Kaliwa-Kanan Dams in Gen. Nakar, Quezon Province. However, a dam takes 5 to 6 years to complete.

Indigenous groups and farmers in Quezon, oppose the building of dams; citing its potential hazard to nature and their source of income.

“Our livelihood is dependent on nature that is why we are opposing the project,” said former commissioner of National Commission on Indigenous People, Conchita Calzado. She added that reviving the dam initiative is “just the same as killing us.”

Efren Dela Cruz Mercado, a farmer leader from Prelature of Infanta, expressed his doubts on the efficiency of a dam as a solution. “We don’t believe that the dam will give us water in the summer, but instead it will just bring floods,” said Dela Cruz Mercado.

In the meantime, the NWRB will do its best to sustain the water supply of Metro Manila.

“We will regulate the release of water from Angat Dam. We will exert all efforts to sustain the requirements of Metro Manila. The conservation practice must be implemented,” said Engr. Estioko.

The NWRB said, there are no other ways but to lessen the allocation for Metro Manila by 20% come 2017 and to advise all consumers to conserve water. (UNTV News/MON JOCSON)

Metro Manila may transition to GCQ after May 31 —Malacañang

Marje Pelayo   •   May 27, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The Inter-Agency Task Force against COVID-19 hopes to come up with a decision on whether to extend or lift the existing modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) in Metro Manila and other areas in the country after May 31.

Malacañang sees a greater chance of transitioning from MECQ to general community quarantine (GCQ) come June 1 as recommended by National Task Force on COVID-19 Chief Implementer Carlito Galvez and Interior Secretary Eduardo Año.

“They gave their recommendation to the IATF but I can quote both of them, chances are we will in fact be transitioning to GCQ in Metro Manila according to the chief implementer and the DILG secretary,” noted Presidential Spokesperson Secretary Harry Roque. 

The Metro Manila Council (MMC), likewise, recommended to the IATF to place the National Capital Region (NCR) to GCQ.

If that is so, public transport will be allowed but only on a limited capacity to ensure that minimum health standards are observed. 

Meanwhile, Roque appealed to both the public and private sectors to finalize their work schemes following the 50% operational capacity wherein half of the total number of employees will be working on site and half  will be working from home.

“We are appealing to both the private and public sector to ensure at least 50-50 workforce,” Roque said. MNP (with details from Rosalie Coz)

Walking for hours to reach work, home shouldn’t be part of ‘new normal’, Poe says

Robie de Guzman   •   May 20, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Senator Grace Poe on Wednesday called on the government to provide assistance to employees who are walking for kilometers from home to work and vice versa due to the still limited public transportation means amid the quarantine.

In a statement, Poe lamented reports on employees having to walk for hours to reach their workplaces and go home after the government eased the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) last May 16.

While the senator acknowledged the workers’ commitment and perseverance, she said this “must not be part of the ‘new normal’” amid the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) crisis.

“There’s no doubt about the commitment and perseverance of our workers to return to work to provide income for their families and help shore up businesses sidelined by the pandemic,” she said.

“But the daily commute and walk must not exact a toll on our workers — exposing them to the dangers in the streets and unfavorable weather conditions,” she added.

Some workers reportedly struggled to reach their workplaces on Monday when businesses and offices resumed partial operations after Metro Manila was placed under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ).

Poe said the government should do all it can to “alleviate the daily sufferings of our workers in getting to work” as public transportation services remain limited.

The senator also stressed that the “no work, no pay” employees will be most affected by this situation.

“Especially woeful are the situation of no-work, no-pay employees, who will not earn anything for the day if they fail to show up, or will be meted with deductions if they come late,” she said.

Under the MECQ guidelines issued by the government, select business establishments and offices have been allowed to resume half of their operations with limited workforce. Skeleton workforce and work from home arrangements may also be implemented.

The Department of Trade and Industry earlier urged employers who were allowed to resume operations to provide shuttle services to their employees.

PNP urges mall security execs to require quarantine passes, limit number of customers

Robie de Guzman   •   May 19, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Tuesday urged mall security managers to require quarantine passes from its customers to improve the implementation of social distancing measures and avoid mass gathering in malls.

Police Lieutenant Col. Guillermo Eleazar, chief of Joint Task Force Coronavirus (JTF CV) Shield, said mandating quarantine passes from customers entering malls will follow government’s guidelines in allowing only one person per household to go out and get essential goods and services amid the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ).

The PNP met with security management in malls in the National Capital Region earlier in the day to discuss the implementation of health and safety protocols following reports of crowding and lack of physical distancing when the malls partially opened on May 16 in MECQ areas.

Eleazar said the mall security managers were also reminded to strictly limit the number of people allowed to enter the malls as stated in the government’s guidelines.

“So una yung maximum number of customers, dapat yun lang ang papasok lang sa loob… It could be computed base doon sa 1 customer per 2 square meters doon sa mga open areas,” he said.

Mall security managers have also been urged to designate drop off and pick up points to ensure that those entering malls are allowed to avail goods and services.

Metro Manila is under MECQ until May 31.

Under this setup, select businesses and offices will be allowed to resume 50% of operations and workforce, provided that minimum health standards will be implemented.

The guidelines also state that only essential and non-leisure shops will be permitted to open, including hardware stores, office supplies and clothing and accessories stores.

The number of customers allowed inside the stores will also be limited, and elevators will only be allowed to ferry 50% of its total capacity with occupants observing social distancing measures.

Free mall WiFi connection will be disabled and air condition temperature will be regulated to 26 centigrade to discourage loitering and lingering of peopleinside the mall.

The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has earlier warned that malls partially opened during the MECQ will be ordered closed if they fail to implement social distancing measures. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.