Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

WeChat’s big data report shows Chinese people changing habits

by admin   |   Posted on Thursday, January 10th, 2019


Fu Fan, director of Wechat data analysis department, speaking at fifth annual conference of WeChat | REUTERS

WeChat, the most popular social media app in China, Wednesday published a big data report that shows changing habits of Chinese people.

According to the report released at WeChat’s fifth annual conference in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou, nearly 1.1 billion active users send a total of about 45 billion messages every day.

They also made a quite startling revelation about the country’s recent nocturnal habits.

“We discovered our users went to bed later. They started to sleep at around 11:30 on average, 1.5 hours later than in 2015,” said Fu Fan, director of WeChat Data Analysis Department, at the conference.

Meanwhile, for the post-80s and post-90s generations, they spent on average about eight minutes on video calls while older people tended to stay talking a little bit longer.

Each generation also prefers different emojis, while its mobile payment feature has become a crucial part of many users’ lives regardless of their age.

“WeChat payment has become a basic device and a bridge for all walks of life, which can connect merchants with their target consumers and users. As of mid-October 2018, WeChat payment has increased by 50 percent compared with the same period last year,” said Bai Zhengjie, operations director of WeChat Pay.

Those numbers are just further evidence of WeChat’s success in China.

But some experts believe its dominance may be coming under pressure from a general change in online habits.

“When we’re talking about being a threat, it’s more in terms of the time spent on mobile shifting more towards Byte Dance’s products, which I think this is the trend we’ve seen over the past two or three years,” said Matthew Brennen, a tech analyst.

Facing the popularity of short video apps like Tik Tok, one month ago in its biggest update in four years, WeChat launched a significant feature,called “Time Capsule”.

The new feature resembles “Instagram Stories”, where users can post videos that disappear a day later.

Meanwhile, with “Top stories”, WeChat also changed the original “like” button in Wechat articles to “recommend”, allowing users to find other people with similar mindsets.

But it seems it may take some time before they really catch on.

“Time capsule is very interesting. But many people don’t know where to see them. Post them online is simply futile,” said a WeChat user.

Experts say competition is so fierce in China’s internet industry that even a super app like WeChat cannot afford to misjudge their users’ needs.
— Reuters

Tags: ,

China flood death toll hits 61, over 350,000 evacuated

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Friday, June 14th, 2019

Courtesy : Image grabbed from a Reuters video

As many as 61 people have been killed and 356,000 evacuated from their homes as heavy rain and floods swept through large parts of southern and central China this week, Chinese rescue authorities said on Thursday (June 13).

In a notice published late on Thursday (June 13), China’s Ministry of Emergency Management said 9,300 homes have collapsed and 3.71 million hectares of farmland damaged during the floods, with direct economic losses now estimated at 13.35 billion yuan ($1.93 billion).

It said more than 4,300 people had been rescued from floodwaters, which have affected regions stretching from Guangdong province in the southeast to southwest China’s Chongqing on the upper reaches of the Yangtze river.

During the summer, China routinely suffers from droughts in the far north and floods in the south. The emergency ministry has warned that northern regions face even lower precipitation levels this year, while heavy rains are expected to raise flood risks on the Yellow river’s upstream. (REUTERS)

Tags:

Locsin files diplomatic protest vs China after West PH Sea collision

by Aileen Cerrudo   |   Posted on Thursday, June 13th, 2019

Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Secretary Teddy Locsin Jr.

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Secretary Teddy Locsin Jr. has filed a diplomatic protest against China after a collision with a Filipino vessel.

READ: DND: Chinese ship hit, sank PH vessel in West PH Sea

Locsin condemned the abandonment of the Filipino crew after a Chinese vessel allegedly hit and sank the Filipino vessel last Sunday (June 9).

“We denounce the actions of the Chinese fishing vessel for immediately leaving the scene of the incident, abandoning the 22 Filipino crewmen to the mercy of the elements,” he said in a statement.

Meanwhile, the foreign secretary expressed gratitude to the crew of the Vietnamese vessel for saving the lives of the 22 Filipinos.

Tags: , , ,

PH wants China to sanction ship crew for sinking Filipino fishing boat

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Thursday, June 13th, 2019

Still image of disputed Spratly Islands in the South China Sea taken from US Navy surveillance video May 21, 2015. REUTERS/US Navy

MANILA, Philippines – Defense Chief Delfin Lorenzana has called for a diplomatic action in relation to the sea collision between a Chinese vessel and a Filipino fishing boat (F/B GIMVER 1) that left 22 Filipino fishermen adrift in the middle of the sea.

“We call for the conduct of a formal investigation on the matter and for diplomatic steps be taken to prevent a repeat of this incident,” Lorenzana said Wednesday (June 12).

The incident happened on June 9 when a Chinese vessel hit and sank a Filipino vessel near the Recto Bank, a territory in dispute in the West Philippine Sea.

Lorenzana said the Philippines denounced the actions of the Chinese crew as they immediately left the scene and abandoned the Filipino crewmen instead of helping them.

Reports said the F/B GIMVER 1 was anchored at the time when it was hit by the Chinese fishing vessel.

Lorenzana thanked the crewmen of a Vietnamese fishing vessel near the incident for saving the distressed Filipino crewmen in coordination with the Armed Forces of the Philippines’ Western Command.

The BRP Ramon Alcaraz, which was on routine maritime patrol in the area, was sent to rescue the Filipinos.

“We thank the captain and crew of Vietnamese vessel, for saving the lives of the 22 Filipino crew,” Lorenzana said.

“However, we condemn in the strongest terms the cowardly action of the suspected Chinese fishing vessel and its crew for abandoning the Filipino crew. This is not the expected action from a responsible and friendly people,” he added.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo, meanwhile, called the Chinese crewmen’s action as “uncivilised as it is outrageous”.

Panelo said, the Chinese crew should have at least saved the Filipino crewmen even despite the existing territorial dispute between China and the Philippines.

“Regardless of the nature of the collision, whether it was accidental or intentional, common decency and the dictates of humanity require the immediate saving of the crew of the downed Philippine vessel,” he said.

“The safety of the crew of the damaged Filipino vessel should have been the uppermost thought and helping them should have been the natural reaction of the crew of the other vessel,” he added.

Panelo joins Lorenzana in calling for an investigation and sanction against the Chinese crewmen for their actions.

“We call on the appropriate Chinese authorities to probe the collision and impose the proper sanctions to the Chinese crew,” he said.                            

Malacañang assured that concerned agencies are now providing assistance to the Filipino crewmen who were rescued from the incident. (with details from Rosalie Coz)

Tags: , , , , ,