WHO chief urges US to reconsider funding, says virus will stay ‘for a long time’
UNTV News • April 23, 2020 • 393
The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday (April 22) that he hoped the Trump administration would reconsider its suspension of funding, but that his main focus was on ending the pandemic and saving lives.
U.S. President Donald Trump announced a halt to U.S. funding for the Geneva-based WHO last week while Washington reviews the organization’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic.
Trump has accused WHO of promoting Chinese “disinformation” about the virus, saying this had probably worsened the outbreak.
During the news conference, the WHO said there were “worrying upward trends” in early epidemics in parts of Africa and central and South America.
Speaking alongside Tedros, Dr. Mike Ryan, the WHO’s top emergencies expert, said it was important to understand the animal origins of the new coronavirus, which jumped the species barrier to humans as it could be breached again.
The WHO stands ready to work with the U.N.’s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) to conduct an investigation into the animal origin, and has offered assistance to China’s government, Ryan said. (Reuters)
MANILA, Philippines – Aminado ang Department of Health (DOH) na malaki pa ang pangangailangan ng bansa pagdating sa bilang ng contact tracers sa gitna ng nagpapatuloy na banta ng novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
Sa televised press briefing ngayong Mierkules, Hulyo 1, sinabi ni DOH spokesperson Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire na mahigit sa 70-libong contact tracers pa ang kailangan sa bansa upang maabot ang lagpas 130,000 benchmark ng contact tracers batay sa panuntunan ng World Health Organization (WHO).
Ani Vergeire, nasa 54-libo lang ang contact tracers sa ngayon kaya masasabing mababa ang contact tracing efforts sa bansa.
“Ang naging sistema kasi nilagyan natin ng standard at dapat sa 800 persons in a community dapat may isa kang contact tracer,” paliwanag ng opisyal.
Una nang sinabi ni WHO Country Representative Dr. Rabindra Abeyasinghe na kailangan pang palakasin ng pamahalaan ang contact tracing efforts dahil isa ito sa mga mahahalagang hakbang upang masugpo ang pagkalat ng coronavirus disease.
“What we are advocating is that–the DOH and the government—invest in- as they invest in expanding testing capacity —to invest in actually contact tracing, identifying contacts, and quarantining and isolating them so that we prevent further transmission from those cases. Unfortunately, this aspect of the Philippine response needs a little more strengthening,” ani Abeyasinghe.
Sinabi naman ng DOH na batid nila ang pangangailangang ito ngunit hindi ito ganap na masolusyonan dahil sa kakulangan na rin ng pondo para sa hiring ng dagdag na contact tracers.
“Actually those are valid observations. Meron naman talaga tayong observations na ganyan that some LGUs (local government units), meron talaga tayong kakakulangan for contact tracing,” ani Vergeire.
Aabot sa P11.7 bilyon ang pondong kailangan para makapag-hire ng mas maraming contact tracer.
Una nang tinutulan ng ilang senador ang planong ito ng DOH, at ipinanukalang gamitin na lamang ng ahensiya ang mga health worker sa bawat barangay gayundin ang contact tracing solutions na ginagamit na rin ng ilang lokal na pamahalaan.
Ngunit giit na Vergeire, dapat pumasa sa qualifications na inirekomenda ng Department of the Interior and Local Government ang mga magsisilbing contact tracers.
“Maipaliwanag nila sa pamilya kung ano ba talaga ang COVID, kung bakit tayo nagte-trace ng contacts, ano ba ang consequences kapagka kumalat and so on and so forth,” sabi ng opisyal.
“So, kasali rin sila doon sa monitoring team sa grounds. So, maraming task na in-identify,” dagdag pa niya.
Patuloy na nananawagan ang DOH sa mga lokal na pamahalaan na palakasin at dagdagan pa ang kanilang contact tracing teams upang mapabilis ang isolation ng mga nagkaroon ng direct contact sa mga taong nag-positibo sa COVID-19. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Aiko Miguel)
The COVID-19 pandemic is still speeding up, and the world will have to face a new normal of living with the virus in the coming months, World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned on Monday.
According to WHO data, as of 15:15 CEST on Monday, the total confirmed number of COVID-19 cases reported to the WHO worldwide had amounted to 10,021,401, including 499,913 deaths.
At a press conference held on Monday, Tedros said that Tuesday marks six months since the first reports of COVID-19 cases in the world. As the global cases exceed 10 million, people should rethink the lessons they’ve learned, and recommit themselves to doing everything to save lives.
“Six months ago, none of us could have imagined how our world and our lives would be thrown into turmoil by this new virus. The pandemic has brought out the best and the worst of humanity. All over the world, we have seen heartwarming acts of resilience, inventiveness, solidarity, and kindness. But we have also seen concerning signs of stigma, misinformation, and the politicization of the pandemic,” he said.
Tedros said that globally, the pandemic is speeding up. He warned all countries to prepare for a long-term battle.
“The critical question that all countries will face in the coming months is how to live with this virus. That is the new normal. We all want this to be over. We all want to get on with our lives. But the hard reality is, this is not even close to being over. Although many countries have made some progress, globally, the pandemic is actually speeding up,” he said. (Reuters)
The COVID-19 pandemic is subsiding in Europe, but getting worse globally with the number of infections expected to reach 10 million next week and the number of deaths 500,000, the head of the World Health Organisation Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Thursday (June 25).
Speaking via video-conference with members of the European Parliament’s health committee, Tedros said more than 9.2 million COVID-19 cases had been reported to the Geneva-based WHO.
He warned the international community that the virus is still circulating, adding it was ‘time to be on our guard, not to let it down.’
The former Ethiopian health minister said it could take a year before an effective vaccine against the coronavirus that has caused the COVID-19 pandemic were to be invented.
Tedros rejected criticism that China did not warn other countries about the epidemic early enough, saying it was not possible to compare its response time with anyone.
He praised the Chinese authorities for the ‘very strong social measures’ it implemented in Wuhan – where the disease was first identified in late 2019 – and for being able to ‘identify the virus at a record time.’ (Reuters)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.