After more than three months of arduous efforts, Wuhan, the Chinese city once hardest hit by the coronavirus outbreak, cleared all COVID-19 cases in hospitals on Sunday.
This came as the last 12 COVID-19 patients had met the standard for discharge and would be transferred to designated places for 14-day medial quarantine.
“We have set standard for discharge in our diagnosis and treatment scheme. Now as they met the standard, we consider all our hospitalized patients cured of COVID-19. For those with some other underlying diseases, they will continue to receive relevant treatment of these diseases.
The number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients in Wuhan has dropped to zero, marking a major victory in our medical treatment at this stage. This filled me with a sense of accomplishment and pride. I am proud of our medical workers across the country,” said Jiao Yahui, a senior inspector at the Medical Administration Bureau of National Health Commission.
The outcome came five days after its cases dropped to double digits and less than 70 days after daily hospitalized cases peaked at 38,020. The hard-won victory came through the hard work of 110,000 medical workers in Wuhan and 42,000 others from across the country. It was also attributed to the timely setting up of temporary hospitals and adequate treatment offered by 55 designated hospitals.
As of the end of Saturday, Wuhan had reported a total of 50,333 confirmed cases and 3,869 deaths. The recovery rate has topped 92 percent.
“We made quick response to increase hospital beds and classify the patients into mild and severe cases and treat them accordingly. Patients with mild symptoms were sent to the temporary hospitals, while those critically ill were treated in designated hospitals. The shortage of hospital beds was solved, but the medical personnel in Wuhan were far from enough to meet the demand, so we mustered 42,000 medical workers from across the country to aid Wuhan. This enabled all the patients to receive treatment. The advantages of our system and the joint efforts of the medical staff contributed to such a good result,” said Jiao.
As Wuhan has cleared all the COVID-19 cases in hospital, some medical experts in intensive care will go to Heilongjiang Province, which is under pressure to prevent imported COVID-19 cases, to share their experiences.
“Heilongjiang is still under a mounting pressure to prevent imported cases and epidemic rebound. In the imported cases or some local cases infected by the imported cases, there are critically ill patients. We hope those experts who met such problems in the early stage of the epidemic outbreak in Wuhan, can bring their experiences to Heilongjiang and help to avoid the repeating of similar mistakes. I think they will play a crucial role not only in the treatment of patients, including the critical ones, but also in the management of pre-examination and triage, fever cases, and infection control in hospital,” said Jiao.
Life is returning to normal. Hubei’s work resumption rate of major industrial firms has reached 98.2 percent and most of their workers have returned to work.
Schools will soon open. Graduating high school students in Hubei are expected to resume class on May 6.
Officials said for the next step Wuhan must remain alert to imported cases while preventing a resurgence of the outbreak.
By Saturday, 82,827 confirmed COVID-19 cases had been reported on the Chinese mainland. More than 93.4 percent of them had recovered.
As of Saturday, there were still 801 COVID-19 patients being treated on the Chinese mainland, including 51 in severe condition. (Reuters)
MANILA Philippines — The Manila City Government on Monday (June 21) now allow walk-ins in all vaccination sites.
According to Manila Public Information Office (MPIO), the directive of Manila Mayor Isko Moreno was after having a low turnout in vaccination sites. The mayor said he directed not to allow walk-ins in order to prove to critics the effect if the system would only be done through scheduling.
NEWS ALERT: Manila City Mayor Isko Moreno allows walk-in clients in all vaccination sites following low vaccination turnout.
MANILA, Philippines — Naniniwala ang pamahalaan na maaabot ng bansa ang target nitong mabakunahan ang nasa 70 milyong adult population bago matapos ang taon dahil sa inaasahang delivery ng dagdag na supply ng Pfizer at iba pang COVID-19 vaccine brands.
Ayon kay Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque, nakapag-secure na ang pamahalaan ng 40 milyong dose ng bakuna mula sa Pfizer bukod pa sa inaasahang delivery ng iba pang COVID-19 vaccine brand sa mga susunod na buwan.
Sa ulat ng National Task Force against COVID-19, bukod sa Pfizer vaccines ay 26 milyon pa ang inaasahang supply mula sa Sinovac, 10 milyon ang Sputnik V mula sa Gamaleya Research Institute, 20 milyon mula sa Moderna, at 17 milyon mula sa AstraZeneca. May parating ding donasyon na 1 milyong Sinovac at 44 milyon ng COVID-19 vaccine mula sa COVAX facility.
“Sumatotal, ngayong mayroon tayong inaasahan na 158 million doses, sapat-sapat na po para sa kabuuan ng ating populasyon,” ani Roque.
Ngayong may malaking supply na inaasahan ang bansa, kampante ang pamahalaan na mababakunahan ang mayorya ng populasyon sa bansa bago matapos ang 2021.
“Kung 500,000 per day po yan, 10 days is 5 million. So kinakailangan lang po natin 20 days para po maubos yung first dose ng dumating na 40 million na Pfizer,” ang wika ni Roque.
Sa ngayon ay nasa 8.40 milyong doses na ng COVID-109 vaccine ang nai-administer sa bansa.
Noong June 15 naman ay naitala ang pinakamataas na vaccination rate sa Pilipinas sa loob ng isang araw na umanot sa 322,929 doses. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines — Mas hihigpitan pa ang gagawing pagbabantay sa lahat ng border sa bansa, mula sa mga paliparan, pantalan hanggang sa mga boundary ng bawat lugar sa Pilipinas, ayon sa Department of Health (DOH).
Ayon kay Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire, naabisuhan na ang lahat ng lokal na pamahalaan para sa paghihigpit sa kani-kanilang mga border upang mapigilan ang pagkalat ng Delta variant, isang uri ng COVID-19 na mas nakakakahawa kumpara sa ibang variant.
“Nasa heightened alert po lahat. Lahat ng local governments were informed, lahat po ng mga regional offices were informed na kailangan bantayan maigi ang Delta Variant across our borders,” ani Vergeire.
Ayon sa opisyal, mas paiigtingin pa ng pamahalaan ang pagpapatupad ng COVID-19 testing at quarantine protocols, at contact tracing pati na ang pagpapalawig sa entry ban sa mga magmumula sa bansang India, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, at Nepal hanggang June 30.
“We are going to uphold the directive of the IATF as well as the Office of the President. This is because we want to prevent further entry of this Delta Variant,” ani Vergeire.
“We cannot have non-uniformity in the implementation of our border control. So iyan po napag-usapan, napagkasunduan, nakausap na rin po ang mga officials, regional directors ng iba’t ibang ahensya last Saturday,” dagdag pa niya.
Ang mas mahigpit na border control sa Pilipinas ay kasunod ng pahayag ng World Health Organization na ang Delta variant na ang dominant variant ng COVID-19 matapos itong mapaulat sa mahigit 80 bansa.
Ang Delta variant ay unang natuklasan sa bansang India.
Sa Pilipinas, 17 na ang kabuuang kaso ng Delta COVID-19 variant matapos itong madagdagan nang magpositibo sa naturang variant ang apat na returning overseas Filipino mula sa South Korea at Saudi Arabia.
Iniulat din ng DOH na 14 na dagdag na kaso ng Alpha variant (United Kingdom), at 21 Beta variant (South Africa) ang naitala sa bansa batay sa ulat ng Philippine Genome Center at ng UP-National Institutes of Health ngayong Lunes.
Ayon sa DOH, lubhang nakababahala kapag lalo pang kumalat sa bansa ang mga variant na ito, lalo na ang Delta variant, dahil mataas ang tiyansang maospital ang isang individwal na kakapitan nito.
“Walang sinabi sa mga ebidensyang nakalap natin, even our experts are saying, walang sinabi na deadly pero sinabi na mas nakakahawa talaga siya,” ani Vergeire.
“Ang delta variant is 60% more transmissible than the Alpha variant. So, ibig sabihin po kung ang alpha variant ay nakapanghahawa ng 4-5 tao per every individual infected, ang Delta Variant po can have 8 individual infected sa isang taong may sakit. So ganoon kabilis ang pagkakahawa kapag Delta Variant ang pinag-uusapan,” dagdag pa niya.
Muli ring paalala ng DOH sa publiko na mag-doble ingat at sundin ang ipinatutupad na health protocols kontra COVID-19. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Aiko Miguel)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.